Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Myths-Dreams-Symbols Video Library

I am in the process of updating my video library at the Myths-Dreams-Symbols website. There are a limited number of videos available on Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell but I have found new resources, including the Joseph Campbell Foundation, for new videos. You can find these videos at the MDS website by clicking the and scrolling down to Videos. I will be adding new videos over the next few days.

Also notice the new scripts I have added to the website. The 'Menu' at the top of the page {you will need the Explorer browser to see this addition} is a neat menu with great color. The revolving 'Billboard' script let's me display pages I feel important without taking of a lot of space on the front page. I have made many changes over the years with the MDS website but feel the page I have now is the very best. Comments or suggestions are always welcome. You can e-mail me if you wish to comment.

For those who may not know I am self taught in web design and do not use any software {pure HTML script-the language of the world wide web}. If an average mind as I possess can learn to design web pages, and learn and understand Jungian psyche, anyone can. It is a matter of expanding the horizons and discovering that creative self. This is a big part of the hero journey, the discovery and development of the creative and spiritual Self. It is by 'following your bliss' that makes it possible. And not deviating from that path. The rewards are tremendous. A slow evolution no doubt but by staying the path there will be a realization of the goals set forth. Discipline is the key.

I can speak from experience. Experience is perhaps the greatest possession anyone can have, more so than faith itself. As Joseph Campbell said, "I don't need faith, I have experience".
Experience in the first person is empirical knowledge.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Myths-Dreams-Symbols Video Library

A few thoughts and ramblings while I await the weather in Middle Tennessee to improve and hopefully provide new business to my profession that sustains myself and my 5 feline and one canine children {she is of course a female}.

I am pleased to see that the official Joseph Campbell website is providing short video clips of Campbell from the various {and numerous} selections they have produced over the years. Many of these are a part of the additions to my video library. The JCF.org organization has limited the use of Campbell's videos to the point I felt they were more interested in selling videos and making money and not getting the 'message' out. This is a compromise I feel is in the best interests of the Campbell organization and something I believe Joe would want. His popularity has not diminished over the years. The most popular of course of these videos is The Power of Myth which propelled him to the great heights 'he' enjoys today. First shown on PBS in 1987 it is still a stable for their yearly fundraising events. Many of the video clips are fromThe Power of Myth.

And speaking of JCF.org. I am so very pleased to see the Myths-Dreams-Symbols website listed in the JCF Friends Link Directory. I had submitted the link not knowing if they felt the MDS site worthy of inclusion. Of course I am most pleased they felt it was.

Another link I am very excited about is at CGJung Page, perhaps the most popular Jung page on the internet. It is listed under dreams which is also pleasing since it magnifies the primary intent of MDS, working with dreams. To add to the 'grandeur', the Myths-Dreams-Symbols link has received more hits {by more than a third} than any other listed dream website {including the popular sites DreamGate, Dream Central, Our Dreaming Mind, and the Association for the Study of Dreams}, as well as any other listing in all other catagories. None of this would have been possible without the loyal and dedicated friends who make so many contributions to website and the Dream Forum.

Being included as links with both sites promotes the message that we all feel of great importance. The ultimate goal is to illuminate the need to look 'inward' for those resources that help provide a balanced and harmonious life. Dreams are a path, if not the most viable path, to that inner self. Campbell and Jung were sages in understanding the importance of the hero journey, which is the 'inner psychological journey' that we are participating in when consciously working with our dreams. I look forward to the day {hopefully sometime in late 2012 when I will be able to take early retirement} when I can give all my energies to promoting the 'message'. As a true Jungian and Campbell disciple I feel it necessary to share what I have learned from my journey, fulfilling my 'The Crossing of the Return Threshold".

The trick in returning is to retain the wisdom gained on the quest, to integrate that wisdom into a human life, and then maybe figure out how to share the wisdom with the rest of the world. This is usually extremely difficult
From Campbell's Monomyth: "The returning hero, to complete his adventure, must survive the impact of the world. Many failures attest to the difficulties of this life-affirmative threshold. The first problem of the returning hero is to accept as real, after an experience of the soul-satisfying vision of fulfillment, the passing joys and sorrows, banalities and noisy obscenities of life. Why re-enter such a world? Why attempt to make plausible, or even interesting, to men and women consumed with passion, the experience of transcendental bliss? As dreams that were momentous by night may seem simply silly in the light of day, so the poet and the prophet can discover themselves playing the idiot before a jury of sober eyes. The easy thing is to commit the whole community to the devil and retire again into the heavenly rock dwelling, close the door, and make it fast. But if some spiritual obstetrician has drawn the shimenawa across the retreat, then the work of representing eternity in time, and perceiving in time eternity, cannot be avoided" The hero returns to the world of common day and must accept it as real.

I am so very fortunate to possess the inner resources to create a website and a Dream Forum that lets me be that other self, my true self. I am a person with ordinary mental abilities when it comes to the thinking mind. But because I do possess an 'intuitive' understanding of Jungian/Campbell philosophy and thought {as many of you do} I have been able to realize my 'bliss' in a most constructive way. If my life had been different as a child perhaps I would have recognized this intuitive possession earlier and become a Jungian analyst at an early age. But not withstanding a childhood story of 'loved lost without the father' {a standard motif in myth and dream} I was able to find my true calling at mid-life. As Campbell said, 'there are two opportunities to find and follow your bliss. One is when your are young and seeking to find that calling, and two at mid-life when we begin re-accessing life'. Most who visit the MDS website and the Dream Forum are like myself, seeking that 'bliss' later in life. This is where I feel I can be of the greatest help in that discovery. I am fortunate to have the MDS website and Dream Forum. I see them as fulfilling two roles, a conduit to my true self and a venue to help others to do the same.

For me all that stands between me and complete fulfillment is that day in 2012 and early retirement {hoping it will occurr before DOOMSDAY Dec 21, 2012}. And as much as I can appreciate that 'it is the journey that is most important', I am so very looking forward to the day when I can wake up every morning from the dream and realize/live it.

One last thought. If I can find my bliss and the discipline required to follow the path to enlightenment to Self, anyone can. It is a process that has been sustained throughout time, the myths speak of the hero journey as if it were speaking to the individual. I believe for many of us Jung's Individuation Process and Campbell's 'follow your bliss' are the most appropriate tools in the self discovery we seek. The limitations of 'self' are many and so are the trials. But by following the Monomyth there is a path already blazed that can be followed to success. The two requirements I believe most important are discipline and spirituality {not religion tied to dogma but spirituality connecting us all to the one source, the natural world}. Without these life is merely a journey to no where and without meaning. Meaning is to be found in the life and where you need to go is within yourself to discover that meaning. And that requires DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, and more DISCIPLINE.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Jerry,

Perhaps I missed it in one of these posts, but is there a page, or link to that page, that contains this same list (and the others) that one can choose from?

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kristi,
I will have a separate page made hopefully by tomorrow. You can access all videos on the main page at Myths-Dreams-Symbols. Click on the button and when the page drops down there is a list under Videos .

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry.

The site is growing and growing.

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kristi,
Here is the Video Library page where you can watch the videos. I have added several Marion Woodman video clips that give exposure to a woman who takes Jung to a new level but isn't that well known beyond the Jungian faithful. I will search for more videos that pertain to dreams.

MDS Video Library

Enjoy,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, these videos are great and I'll spend the next few days watching them. As feedback, I'm a firefox uses and going through the firefox link to the home page and then clicking on "enter" for the video library does not work for me, the link doesn't bring up any new page.

tim

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 39 Sydney

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Tim,
Thnks for the feedback on your FireFox browser. Have you checked the link at the top of the page that directs Mozilla/Firefox users to go to another page? I was aware that Mozilla/Firefox browsers could not access the and I thought I had solved the problem. But looking at the page with the Mozilla browser I can see it still does not work. I'll build a page to solve the problem. And one for teh Video Library browser {later today when you go to the video library look for the Mozilla link}'

I have downloaded Mozilla/Firefox as well as Google's Chrome browsers because their browsers use a more simple system for faster navigation. Because 67% of browsers are Internet Explorer and most everyone now has high speed connections I use detailed scripts to enhance the pages. One of the great scripts I have on my pages is the menu at the top. But Firefox nor Chrome shows this feature. Here is the page you can use with your browser. If you come across any other pages that have features that do not work with your browser please let me know.

Jerry

Tim,
Here is the link to the Mozilla/Firefox page for the
Video Library. Unfortunately the script is not allowed in Firefox which eliminates all the features I have used {a movie screen that lets you watch each video}. With the Firefox browser each selection has to be seen in a new window. But at least you can see all the videos. I have more listed at the Video Library than I do listed in my above post.
Enjoy!

Video Library

Jerry

Great Video page, Jerry! Thank you.

Kristi,
That is a great script isn't it, letting you chose a video and watch it on a screen on the same page. Unfortunately Mozilla/Firefox browsers don't support the script. Crone does but doesn't support my menu script {I am adding that menu now, at the top of the page}.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I know about zero pertaining to web design, scripts, etc. But yes, it is a very fine page/production!

Kristi

Jerry,

I was googling for Marie Louis Von Franz and came across this site. So, I plugged Joe Campbell in to see what would come up, and then Jung, and then Woodman, etc. There are quite a few recordings. Thought you might like to browse some time to see if there is anything you'd like to add to your video page.

http://wn.com/joseph_campbell

Kristi

Thanks Kristi. I had found this site also but had lost the URL. Most of the videos are from YouTube but their list of categories makes it easier to Locate individual videos. There are several new Marion Woodman, Marie Louise von Franz and Elaine Pagels {The Gnostic Gospels} videos now available. I have added a few and will add more to the Video Library. Also Jean Houston {an early Joseph Campbell student and friend} as well as Robert Bly and other 'masculine' voices of the soul.

Jerry

A site I have been visiting recently that has some great videos is the Watch Documentary website. All video are free to watch. They have claim to have 3600 documentary videos.

One of the video series I have watched is The Nazis: A Warning From History. This is the same video series advertised {and produced} by the History Channel and selling for $39. It is a great video series to watch. I have been interested in World War II as long as I can remember and the specific reason being the question of 'how can a people be so entranced by a madman {Hitler} and do the things they did?'. With the new information available today {especially the new info from the old Soviet Union} that question has been answered. It is not a simple answer {their humiliating defeat in World War I, the terrible economic climate, the stock market failure of the 20s being a few} but when enough time is given to finding the truth it is readily available. For someone like myself who thrives on the understanding the underlying reasoning of why people do the things they do these videos helped me in that understanding. It does show that even with a collective psyche that is basically directed toward good, evil does persist in this world.

Those who do not read history are doomed to repeat it

These videos teach us all about 'that' history.

Religion and the war
One of the biggest questions I had early in life concerning the belief in a personal God {before Joseph Campbell introduced me to the term 'personal god'} was how could a loving God let 6 million Jews die in the war? If there is a God {of religion} how could he let his chosen people suffer so much pain and death? If you watch the videos you will learn that Hitler, after realizing the war was lost, decided and demanded that Germany should be raised to the ground, its people were the reason for the defeat and they should suffer and die in the service of being loyal to him. What difference is there in a so called benevolent God and a madman, 'both' who let millions suffer and die in their name? That is a question no one has ever truly answered other than it was 'God's will'. The question concerning the existence of a personal God leaves a bad taste in my mouth when thinking of this question.

And another question that has never been answered about there being a personal God.
What about the dinosaurs?

I find myself in full agreement with Campbell. Spirituality is about living in harmony with nature and our fellow man, with Jesus, the Buddha, Ghandi, Mother Teresa {we now know she questioned God often} and other true spiritual souls being true examples. Who needs the church if it can only seeks to meet the needs of the flesh and not the soul? Not me. I can go to the woods, find a waterfalls, or merely sit at home to access that spiritual SELF.

Jerry

It was a big question for me, too, Jerry. Regarding not just WWII, but also lesser wars (as I read of them in history classes in school) and other atrocities, such as seen in Alex Haley's, "Roots" that I watched when I was 11 years old. It all moved me profoundly. Why? I wanted to know. Fast forward a few years from Haley's "Roots" and I read "The Diary of Anne Frank." Soon after, I learned that Hitler and I share the same month and day of birth. It made a very imaginative young me worry... "Might I have a Hitler inside of me?" These are big questions for a young person.

I am finding my experience with the church interesting. There is much there for me, to learn, to heal. I spent most of my time during Mass a couple of days ago with eyes pretty wide open, watching and looking. I took to my knees, too, when it was time, but I was "asking questions," not praying. I feel kind of like a spy there ; ). So many insights are coming to me...about the "authority" of the church (and other religious systems). Later that same day, I was driving to my attorney's office and I began thinking of Mother Mary and the "miracles" of weeping statues in various churches/locations...and I just had the inner feeling/sense, "She weeps because of the suffering the church perpetuates." "She weeps because so many are down on their knees." "She weeps because the church does not teach the truth of what Jesus tried to teach." So much more. Tears fell from my own eyes as I had these thoughts/feelings.

Hitler and Germany was a tragedy...very sad. I will never forget my visiting Dakau when I was in Germany. Just walking on those grounds, my body swarmed (time and again) with compassion. All the hairs of my body stood on end for the full length of time I toured there.

Kristi

I'm having a great time going through these videos. Thank you for posting them!

Angie

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Minnesota

Kristi,
The church should be a place as well as a symbol for inner healing but unfortunately falls short in so many ways. The patriarchal system that are the foundations of religious belief in the Church of Abraham is so riddled with guilt/shame because it refuses to recognize the power of the feminine there is little room for someone who dares question its authority. Your sense of identification with Mother Mary is valid in so many ways, conscious as well as unconscious, and can see where you had such emotions. If only the christian church had opened up to Mary {as well as Jesus' most beloved disciple Mary Magdalene} in its infancy we would be in a different world today.

In the mid-1990s I returned to the church, not the traditional Christian churches I went to as a teen but the Unitarian/Universalist and Unity churches {and Religious Science a couple of times, it being a very liberal church}. I chose these institutions because they were different, accepting of anyone no matter their philosophy in life {very accepting of gays and lesbians as well, something I feel important and support as a straight person}. But in the end I found these to be lacking because there were so many who were searching for spiritual guidance and constantly being confronted by the usual church politics and failures. I was amazed how how many were searching but were clueless to where to look {although I was still in my infancy in my journey at least I had found in Campbell and Jung the direction to look for spiritual nourishment}. The churches didn't seem to know how to provide a clear path to such understanding even tough their philosophies were as close to the true inner world of 'knowing' as you can find in any religious institution. There were a lot of creative people {being in Nashville a lot of musically inclined/talented people}. But there was still too much ego for me at both places. So I decided church was not the place for me. As I stated previously the outdoors, hiking in the woods, visiting one of the many beautiful waterfalls located in the mid-state provided all the spiritual fulfillment I needed. And it brought me closer to the true nature for which I believe in and is 'God' {for me evolution explains it all and fits with everything that experience has shown me}.

I've come to the belief that the only thing needed to obtain the spiritual nourishment we need is within the realms of our own being. At home, at the gym, driving from one destination to another in our vehicle, simply concentrating, giving thought to the moment, the reality we are in at that moment, puts us in the moment and away from the clutter in the mind of things and ego.

Each of us is a miracle. Instead of dwelling on the body and its wants and desires, when we are able to look at the reality in the moment we exist at any given moment, we can see how fleeting that miracle can be. But also how wonderful it is. As Campbell stated, and something that took a long time for me to understand {as is a lot of what Campbell taught me}, "life is a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts". And that goes to another Campbell quote about that sorrow, taken from The Power of Myth and from Buddhism:

Campbell: All life is sorrowful" is the first Buddhist saying, and it is. It wouldn't be life if there were not temporally involved which is sorrow. Loss, loss, loss.
Moyers: That's a pessimistic note.
Campbell: Well, you have to say yes to it, you have to say it's great this way. It's the way God intended it {Campbell believing God is within nature, is nature}.

So what is it that makes it hurt? It is because we are human with these complex emotions. The hurt will always be there but we can not let it limit our path to being positive souls. The solution I use is to find ways to have as much control over the emotions as well as the whole life, mastering the way I live life, using those spiritual icons as examples, treating the body as the temple, and understand as much as possible about my own psychology as I can { with a immense interest in the collective psychology}. It has taken me 18 years to get to that place where I am able to be in 'that place of understanding'. If things go as planned it will take a couple of more years to get to that actual place of bliss, that final destination where I can be that creative and spiritual SELF. I believe I have yet to truly fully blossom in my creative being and can only do that when my social obligations are fulfilled {working toward early retirement at 62, and doing what I need to do so that the business I am in will benefit my son and his family as a reliable source of income for the future}. There are more social dragons I must confront no doubt. But I have the helping hands of fate and as God is to the Christian, and the Force is to Luke, these unseen forces in nature are always there for me.

Of course that begs the question about the 'journey being the destination'. It is true, but only if there is not that realization/utilization of the bliss which is available for anyone who is willing to give up their life of materialism and ego for the creative/spiritual Self. I have done that over the past 18 years, intentionally living a life of simplicity {with a push from the knowledge of a bad back that is limiting in what I can do at an older age in my physical work}. I have worked less but have given so much to that creative being. The 500+ plus pages at Myths-Dreams-Symbols, the 3000+ dream posts from which I have learned so much, these endeavors have filled as much of my time as has the social duty from which I am obligated. It is a conscious thing, something I know I must do and will achieve if I only stay the path, endure the suffering, live life in the moment so the past doesn't control but informs and educates. I sincerely believe this is the ultimate whole of the hero journey, discovery of the spiritual identity that reveals a creative self and working toward that goal, slaying whatever dragons that cross my path. It is the collective story of the myths, except it is my myth and I have a say in how it turns out.

Forgive me if I stray from the thread. But I so want to share what I believe is a suitable path for others like myself, like you, to wholeness. Jung's Individuation Process is the hero journey because that journey is first and foremost psychological. The psychology of the self, myself, yourself, discovering the true psychology of the individual. By following this path we bring up the hero within. And that will lead to the realization of the spiritual, and if we stay the path the bliss that comes in life. It will be the spiritual that leads the life and not the ego centered self. It is a process, one that takes time and discipline. But a process that will lead to healing and wholeness. I am banking my life on this, and thus far in the 18 years I have been on my journey the formula has worked. Just as Campbell said it would.

Jerry

Thanks Angie. I often wonder if these videos are worth the effort but if you find comfort from them that does make it worth it. Today's technology provides so many new tools to help us in our journey. I hope to add more videos as they come available and I find them. I will provide that info at the Dream Forum.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present