Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost Car and Diseased Animals

Hello - I haven't posted in a while, but I had a few (short) dreams in the past 2 days that I wanted to get some feedback on.

Dream #1 - Stolen/Lost Car
I'm inside of a large building and decide to leave, but I feel like I have to "sneak" out or be discreet about leaving. Sky is overcast with light rain. I walk to the parking lot to find my car (the car I drive in waking life), but it's not there. I walk around the lot several times, before I begin to suspect that the car might be stolen. Also, my friend is in the parking lot too - waiting for me in her car, while I'm looking.

I realize that I can use my key to sound the alarm - thinking that the sound will lead me to the car - maybe I just forgot where I parked. The alarm triggers, but it's not my car. It's a different car and there are people inside that I don't know (a woman and maybe some children). At this point, I accept that my car has been stolen, and that somehow the theives attached my alarm sensor to a different car to mislead me.

I am mostly upset because I lost items that I had in the car - not necessarily b/c I lost the car. The only thing I remember losing is a watch that was inside the center console of the car. (In waking life, this watch was an expensive Christmas present that I hadn't worn yet. I would also never put this watch in the car.)

My best guess at this interpretation: The car represents a path that I've been taking, that is no longer available to me. I will have to find a new path or new goal - and I'm upset by this b/c I feel like I have lost or wasted time.

Dream #2 - Diseased Animals

I'm looking at two fishtanks - there are on shelves directly above each other. The fishtank on the top shelf is half empty, dirty and has dead fish (or barely alive fish). I feel bad that I neglected the fish in that tank.

The other tank is clean and looks beautiful - there are lots of fish (between 8 and 20). I notice that 2 of the fish (red or orange goldfish) have white spots - do they have a disease? I take one of the fish out of the tank and try to rub the spots off. I do the same to the other fish. I look at them swimming in the tank - I don't know if I helped them or not. I'm worried about what I should do to help these fish - b/c I don't want them to die (like the ones in the tank above.)

I look around the room and notice that there are lots of other empty fish tanks around - stacked on top of each other. Why have I collected so many of these fish tanks? I now realize that I'm in my parents house - and that maybe my dad has collected these fish tanks instead of me.

Now the dream changes - I am in a different room with Andrew Zimmer (the man on the tv show, Bizarre Foods, who eats weird foods). He is eating a cat (it's cooked, maybe barbequed) - and I am extremely bothered by this. I don't see any fur, but I know it's a cat b/c of the body shape. The body has been cut open, and he is telling me that this cat had a disease b/c he can see it in the meat/organs. He is pointing at black splotches inside the body. He begins to eat the meat, telling me that the diseased parts of the meat taste good.

My questions - I'm guessing the dream is trying to tell me that I'm not taking care of myself? Is there a different/significant meaning to eating the cat?

Also - I posted both of the car and animal dreams together - b/c I thought they might be related.

Any comments/feedback is much appreciated. Thank you!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 32, Texas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Lost Car and Diseased Animals

drshell,
Great to 'see' you again. It has been awhile hasn't it?

I will try to provide an answer to your post later in the day. It may be in the morning. Because of the lenght I want to give it my full attention and at the moment I need to take care of some personal business.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 60 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

drshell,
I am working on your dreams and hope to have an interpretation later today. Time overtook me this morning and I had to rush so not to get behind {I take measures to insure I stay on schedule in my working time-a matter of discipline and good business}. IN the first dream I see where you get your impressions of that dream, and I believe they are sound. Probably a bit more to it though. Hopefully I can help in discovering what that might be if true.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Hi drshell,

Maybe look at this:

Large building may = construct/corporate/work world of "obligation." Does it remind you of any space or place from your waking life reality?

What are you needing to escape? Is it rigid and mandated?

Sneak out/be discreet... First way that comes to me to describe what this feeling energy may be like is how I felt when stealing a candy bar as a child. "I WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO." I had to sneak it, take it on the sly. Are you maybe needing to steal yourself back from something in your life? That you've given too much of yourself to?

Overcast sky with light rain may be telling of a certain melancholy surrounding this predicament of yourself that the dream is trying to make you aware of.

I personally think that cars most often = our person, our body, the energy or condition of our being, etc.

Because this is your actual car in waking life, the fact that you cannot find it may be indicative of feeling you've lost yourself to this "building" that you now feel you need to sneak away from / go against the grain of imposed expectations...?

The friend may be some sort of helper. It may be helpful for you to look at the person herself to try to get clues as to what her appearance in the dream may be attempting to communicate to you. Why would she be there, as a sort of back up, in the event you do not find your car? Does she represent some recourse of action? Of course, it could also be other, she may represent/mirror the you who is lost. Only you will know by examining her.

You have the keys/alarm mechanism and think it will lead you to your car... Maybe it does actually lead you to "your car," a car (person) you do not know anymore.

In waking life, you would never put that very valuable (to you) watch in the car. This may indicate that the very valuable thing that is lost, is in fact "you," a prized possession.

What has been "built" (building) that no longer serves you, that you feel you have lost yourself to?

it will be helpful to determine what the building represents, as it will likely give the clue as to what has stole you.

I have some thoughts on your other dream, but will not be able to post more until another time.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Kristi - Thank you so much for your input on Dream #1. You brought up a lot of things I hadn't considered. I think you are right about the building and it representing something that I need to "sneak" away from. I think it's very possible that I've created at least 2 "buildings" - one that's no longer working for me (professionally), and maybe another one that represents an obligation to my family.

I'm not sure what I thought the building was in the dream - if I had to guess, it would be maybe a shopping mall or a professional building (something with lots of people inside).

Good point about the friend - in the dream, the friend was waiting on me b/c we were both leaving the same bldg to go to another place together. Out of all my other friends, she is the closest to my professional equivalent - but I also think of her as someone who "gives" to much - to the point where she neglects herself. In the years that I've known her, she has been able to deal with an enormous amount of stress, in addition to managing her regular life (job, kids, etc) - to the point where I'm surprised she hasn't "cracked" or "broken down" yet.

Anyways, I guess all signs point to restrictions I feel like my job has imposed - but I'm still going to think about it further.

Gerard - Thanks so much for the welcome back! I look forward to your reply - please take your time.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 32, Texas

sam,
I haven't read Kristi's post nor your response so I may be repeating something she has already pointed out {as she often does}.

The dream seems to be addressing two issues, the more recent personal as well the deeper aspects. Good chance it is dealing with your journey, and the deeper unconscious aspects also.

Definite feelings of something being lost in the first paragraph. Or is it pointing to something that has been stolen. The deeper aspects? Could these be childhood or early life experiences? Sneaking away may suggest there is something that is being concealed. Does that tie together?

On the personal side, addressing the 'journey'. The large building could be a symbol for society, the culture, the social dragon as I often refer to it. The dream is the unconscious thus what was concealed comes from there. Your journey and where you feel you are with that and where you may wish you were.. You may have parked yourself in your waking life, and have yet to find/obtain the true self in your inner life. Dark skies and light rain may refer too much 'negative' from society and too little coming about of the true self.

I have in the past often found myself having to 'give' too much of myself to the dragon and felt it was a waste of time, and where I wish I could have been 100% actively involved with my creative self. Frustration to say the least. Once you begin to undercover the 'secrets', you become caught. Like me when I first saw The Power of Myth in 1992. I was caught, Campbell said I would be.

This may be something one can expect on the journey, frustrations of not being able to be that true and whole person. As well as reaching that place of bliss in life. That will come about if you stay the path on that inner journey, be the hero in your own life, saving yourself from those negative aspects and emotions that do prevent you attaining wholeness. Wholeness of the inner sanctum, the spiritual path of the hero, as well as anything deeper that was stolen.

As for the deeper aspects. Overcast skies suggests an attitude in life. It requires some 'foot work' {walking around the parking lot} just to discover something has been stolen. Repressed aspects perhaps? Usual unconscious stuff if there are aspects from early life that were stolen. Sounding alarms, dreams will do that.

Forgot where you parked. Something forgotten, parked deep into the unconscious. The key will open up those 'forgotten' aspects. This seems to be more directed at the deeper self. The people inside you don't know would be aspects of yourself. Accepting that the car has been stolen could also be 'accepting the deeper aspects and not giving them your attention. It isn't your car may be saying something about the real you, acknowledging the deeper aspects, able to be your true self. Being mislead may be misleading yourself about what is deeper in the unconscious. Something you have yet to acknowledge or confront?

Of course the journey to wholeness is finding that true self. Often time we feel lost on the journey, the forces of social duty being a deterrent to finding the lost true self. Having to confront those dragons being a daily requirement.

Different cars, different aspects that are being addressed in your dream?

What is inside is what is upsetting. Inside the unconscious. The deeper as well as the personal. The deeper being those aspects that have been stolen, the personal the journey itself and the stolen time away from that true self having to confront the dragon. Time is important for you. Frustrations on both fronts.

What path do you feel has been taken away from you? The deeper aspects would involve past experiences that was stolen during those earlier years. Is there something about your journey other than the norms I have spoken of {frustrations, the time it takes to slay all the waking dragons?}. What new path do you assume needs to be taken? Going deeper, the new path you may need to take is to identify, acknowledge and confront those things that were stolen. Go back to early and see what those may be.

I see elements that seem to be addressing both the personal waking life as well as the deeper unconscious life. Which do you feel is the primary aspect that is being addressed. Consume what I have given for the first dream and I will work on the second.

Jerry

drshell,
First let me apologize for starting my previous post with calling you Sam. I sometimes get lost in thought and if I don't concentrate on where I am I will make such mistakes.

The second dream seems to continue where the first left off. And although the language may best fit with one aspect than the other there could be an 'inter-mingling' of the two aspects I spoke of {my experience shows dreams will inter-mingle the aspects of the psyche in addressing the duality of life}. Two fish tanks, two aspects addressing the two truths about yourself. Fish Tanks are unconscious containers for the true self. One above the other, one aspect that have left you 'half empty' , dead aspects within your psyche. Neglecting the true self, either or both of the two aspects, is what the dream {the therapeutic value of dreams} is wanting you to focus on.

The other thank, the other/true self, is beautiful, vibrant, alive, multiply possibilities {although this may best fit with your spiritual journey there probably is an 'inter-mingling' aspect also addressing the positive personal life that can be realized when confronted and resolved}. And again we have two fish, the two aspects. The color red could have negative connotations {passion, anger, sexuality, revolution, danger}, orange suggesting an aggressive approach as well as deeper aspects {see orange in the MDS Dream Dictionary}. A disease is could be inner conflicts. There is that desire to heal the inner conflicts. Watching them swim in the tanks is the unconscious dream, the desire for the positive to come through and not let those aspects die.

The empty fish tanks stacked on top of each other, the negative aspects in your life. The collected emotional baggage that comes with growing older. Empty because you are unable to be that true self, perhaps to identify that true identity you seek to know.
Your parents house. Your dad collecting so many tanks. Like father like son. Inherent behavior traits. Parenting in early life.

There is an identification with Andrew Zimmer {personal traits, actions, etc}. Eating a cat, consuming the feminine. Your feminine aspect is not healthy. It is deeply ingrained. You must consume the dead parts, consumption so to realize they are there. Doing that will bring about a healing.
This part of the dream, although perhaps directed at the spiritual journey as well {a feminine aspect} is about personal experiences. The previous paragraphs, like father like son, early life experiences, parenting.

As for your question of taking care of yourself. Do you feel in your waking life this is the case? The dreams goes to the deeper issues in your life, both the deeper personal issues as well as your search for the true self in your journey to wholeness. To realize the true self in the hero journey there is the need to identify, acknowledge, confront and put into a proper perspective the personal issues. I believe that should start with the 'like father like son issues, identifying the negatives associated with that, and other early life experiences having to do with parenting. Resolving those issues will help you in your journey to wholeness.

Also, the 'like father like son' should be examined in association with your own son if you have one. Inherent aspects get passed on and there must be a break of any such passed on traits. My own personal experiences provide insights to this. It may be you have already realized this consciously or unconsciously and have broken the link {if you do have a son or ever do}. Take the positives of the likeness and expand on those. Take the negatives and remove those.

Jerry

Hi drshell,

You're welcome.

For the second dream, perhaps look at issues involving the lack of being able to contain/maintain feminine aspects of life/expression. Perhaps freedom and fluidity of feeling and more maybe more intuitive aspects. See at my recent post of Four Fish for more symbolism on potential meanings of fish.

You are aware that this element is not right...the dream brings it to your attention and you take some action to examine and resolve it (noticing the dead fish in the tank losing it's water and trying to wipe the apparent diseased condition from this part of yourself).

The dream gives some clues as to where this issue may have started: "parent's home" and perhaps more specifially, "father."

Have you adopted masculine values and manner of being (in work and other relational activities in life) at the cost of neglecting your feminine side of life?

I woudl guess the cat is also a feminine symbol. It is being cooked and eaten by some "bizarre" masculine aspect, who is simultaneously bringing the dis-eased state of the feminine to your awareness.

Is he maybe reflective of a masculine system of beliefs and values with which you regard (disregard) your own self, leading to the diseased state.

For sure, pay attention to your feelings... "extremely bothered by this" ... but also know that he is reflective of some inner dynamic within your own self, as learned, taken on in the course of life.

Again, go back to your parents home, to see where this might have begun.

I've shared this here before and feel moved to do so again... When looking at our dreams, it is helpful to remember to see all (each and every aspect [thing], tangible and intabgible and each character) of a dream as reflective/indicative of some dynamic within our own self. It is sometimes even helpful to re-write the dream, "I am in the building of me and decide to leave" ... "I am searching for the lost car of me" ... "the (dead/diseased/beautiful) fish of me in the tank of me" ... Etc. It really helps to provide insight, helps us to connect much more directly with each aspect or compartment of the dream and hence our selves. It helps us to take the projection (of the dream) and place it back inside of our body/psyche, to create a bridge to the dream and enter more fully back into it, so that we might gain fuller meaning from it.

I see that Jerry has now also posted a response to this second dream. Our styles of interpretation are different. Hopefully from the two you will be led to discover further meaning from these dreams.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, Kansas

Thank you both very much for your detailed responses. Both of you have helped me think more about what/how I need to start thinking about some things.

Dream #1 - I think this dream may mostly have to do with my professional self. For the past few years, I've realied that I really don't like what I've been doing - and have been trying to "figure out" what my true calling is. It's been frustrating b/c I don't have a goal to work towards to change my situation - I'm just not sure what my new goal is.

I worked with a Career Counselor a few months ago. After some discussions and tests, it was her opinion that I had a strong desire to do something creative - completely opposite of my finance/technical background. I agree with her completely - but I just haven't figured out how I want to go about doing that yet. So many variables to consider....

So - at work I do feel like I'm altering my behavior - and that I'm not doing anything that truly reflects my capabilities. I've just been telling myself that I only need to "hold on" a little longer --- b/c I'm hopeful that something will change soon. But perhaps this dream is telling me that I'm bothered by it more than I had thought - to the point where I feel something has been stolen or lost.

Dream #2

The dream interpretations both of you gave were very correct. This dream is about some current issues going on with my father - which I think have caused some older/deeper issues to resurface for me.

Some relevant background -
OVer the past 6 years, my dad (73 yrs old) has become a hoader - of just "junk" and animals. Right now, I think he owns 15+ animals (mostly cats, some dogs) and also feeds a lot of stray cats, so natually those cats always hang around too. The problem has gotten worse in the past 2 years - to the point where the house is filthy and neither myself or my siblings want to go to the house. I've tried speakig with my dad about this - even offered him money to throw things away - but he will not cooporate. Similiar to other hoarders, he always claims that someday he will need these things, and that there isn't a problem having so many animals. And that I am just overreacting about the house being clean.

This is very stressful to me - becuase I feel like it's my responsibility to "fix it". By "fix it", i mean that I could just hire some people to come in and start hauling things away against his will. But I can't fix it without (i) spending a lot of money, and (ii) upsetting my dad. I also struggle with "other's" perception of my dads problem - almost as if "others" are judging me for not "fixing it" - b/c that's what a "good daughter" would do. (Good Daughter = Social Dragon, maybe)

However, even though I want to "fix it", there is another part of me that just wants to ignore it and say "not my problem". I don't think it's fair that I have to spend time/money fixing my dad's problems ,especailly when there were many times where he could have helped me and he did not.

If someone else turned their back on me in the past, and then later asked me for help, I probably wouldn't help them - not without some kind of apology. In this case, becuase it's my dad (family) - I can't use that same ideal - b/c society tell us that "you always have to be there for your family". (Note - I think this could also be part of the "large building" or "social dragon" in Dream #1.) So I guess I'm upset that I'm trying to uphold a social value "must take care of family" - even though the person I'm trying to help doesn't feel that way. (note - my siblings have no problem ignoring our dad's problem. this is another part of my frustration.)

This comes through in the dream (and part of Dream #1 too) - I am drained and feel diseased (tanks, diseased fish/cat). The accumalted fish tanks are partially a literal interpretation of my dad's hoarding - but also represent that I'm storing lots of emotions about the subject.

The dreams are telling me that I really need to pay attention to my feelings - perhaps I've been ignoring bottling them in.

Thanks again to both of you for your interpretations - it really forced me to do some thinking that was overdue.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 32, TX

drshell,
As I mentioned in my interpretation one aspect of the dream seemed to be addressing current waking aspects. Your comments about your work vs the need/desire to discover your creative aspects would fit here. perhaps the 'lost part' is the unconscious desire for that creative self and that is being 'lost' due to the indecision to what your creative skills are, and/or having to deal with work and not able to put efforts toward the creative. 'Being parked' may be the attitude of accepting this fact and not moving toward those creative goals. This is your 'hero journey', the process you are engaged, consciously as well as unconsciously, working toward the discovery and eventual realization of your creative/spiritual Self.

Altering your behavior may be a part of that process. Discovering those creative skills/desires may take some time, may come out of the blue, a serendipitous event such as I experienced when I first discovered Joseph Campbell just by chance.
Being 'bothered' by this is probably a real experience. Once you 'heed the call' the desire to find that place of balance and wholeness can consume you. That is a good thing and can be a bad thing. As with most aspects of the hero journey there is a requirement of discipline and patience.
It is hard I know, I often feel the same way and I have been on my journey for 18 years. Fortunately I have learn discipline and to be patient, 'knowing' I will one day achieve my goals.

My view of the hero journey is it is about discovering creative/spiritual self in a world of social duty and then working toward those goals. I say creative/spiritual because when you give of yourself creatively you are engaged in a spiritual event {my desire to help others with their dreams/emotional conflicts is reflected through my website and Dream Forum}. I spent 6 years before I discovered my creative self, first learning about computers, web design and the complexity of the internet. In late 1998 I began Myths-Dreams-Symbols {at Angelfire.com, a website offering free space for which I still maintain site see it here}. At the same time I began exploring dreams and offering interpretations at other dream sites, as limited as they were back then. Now I am working toward those goals where I can give all my energies to my dream work and website, and not having to abide by the social obligations of work {managing our fence business in Middle Tennessee}. It is a process that has 'evolved' as my Individuation Process progresses.

Your summary of your second dream probably does involve your father's 'hoarding' and the emotional conflicts associated with that. I can see the two fish tanks as addressing two waking issues, the two issues in your waking life of work and the creative self {two issues within themself} as well as the father issues. The cats would represent the association to your father, and perhaps the disease being his hoarding.

But I feel that dreams always address the deeper issues of why and who you are, going back to those foundations of personality. Forgotten aspects that require a 'key' to the unconscious that reveals what those foundations are. Your conflict of emotions with your father in the present may also be addressing emotional conflicts when you were younger. Have you thoroughly examined those associations? Such exploration of the psyche is a prime task of the Individuation Process.

Dreams are about our emotions. Those conflicts of emotions that are playing on your mind are usually the featured events in your dreams. At the age of 32 you are still engaged in 'looking forward', still building a career, involved in various waking emotional experiences. Added to that is the 'early' discovery of this other self, the creative aspects, that need to be fulfilled. You do have a lot on your plate, many issues that need to be worked through. That requires a lot of discipline, and patience. Perhaps working to enhance those skills will help in resolving these emotional issues.

What I believe is most important in achieving and living a balanced life is the ability to control as much as your life as possible. And because life is 'psychological' the greatest obstacle are the emotions. To gain control of life, and the emotions, requires first identifying the emotional issues and then working to put them in a proper place. The more control you have over your emotions the better off in life you will be. This is pretty much a step by step process, eliminating the conflicts one at a time. At 32 you are still forming this emotional baggage. At mid-life {40-60} you begin to realize they are there, they are a real burden, and either ignore them completely as most do, or take control and start the individuation process of self discovery. You are fortunate that at 32 you have already started that process. As soon as you will realize it is a long road to travel, and learn to stay the path {the hero journey of the Monomyth}, you will begin to understand that it is a process and it does take time, and a lot of discipline and patience. Work to resolve those emotional issues now, avoid creating new ones, and realize you are the hero when you do accomplish these goals. These are mostly waking issues that you will experience. Then there are the deeper issues of the 'foundations'. Work to identify and resolve those also. When you do both, religiously, with discipline and conviction, the creative aspect will show itself and you can begin to work on those goals. The Individuation of self is first about the emotional aspects. Metaphorically, in myth and our dreams, these are the images that inform and provide guidance. You have time, begin to work on the emotional issues and the creative aspect will show itself when you are ready for it. I really believe this to be true. It was for me.

A few quotes from Joseph Campbell that may be applicable to your situation.

"Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging".

"We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.
".

"The ground of being is the ground of our being, and when we simply turn outward, we see all of these little problems here and there. But, if we look inward, we see that we are the source of them all."

and perhaps the most appropriate quote

"In these stories {in mythology}, the adventure that the hero is ready for is the one he gets."

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present