Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Physical Fitness, Psychology & Shooting A Basketball

Note I've included the two minute video at the bottom of this page

The reason I posted this video has many reasons. One is to demonstrate the importance, and benefits, of a good physical routine as a part of living a balanced life. Physical health is a vital part of living a full life, not just to exist but to live life to its fullest. And the mental facilities are stronger when there is a good physical fitness routine. The new science supports this. My own 'mental' capabilities, including the ability to cope with stressful events/experiences, have in my mind been greatly affected, enhanced, because I have made physical fitness a regular part of my life.
A second reason is that working out to be healthy can be fun. I began this particular routine in late 2008. Although I had played some basketball over the years I never participated in any organized routines that provided any learned skills. The abilities I have now are from recent activities and my abilities are both physical and mental. Physically I am able to perform the tasks required to do what I do {there are some amazing shots in my routine}. But there is a mental aspect involved that is just as important. This is from what I think of as the 'intuitive' aspect of our human abilities, 'metaphysical' aspects we all possess, beyond the norm but still a part of the human psyche. I will get into that later in my post.

Note: As many of you know I often talk about the three aspects of being. The physical, the psychological and the spiritual/metaphysical. Taking care of the physical, the temple, is most important, especially as the body ages and reality sets in that the body does 'fall off' with age. Physical fitness is a way to slow that process. And it is important to understand how the condition of the physical body greatly affects the psychological mind. A strong mind is often dependent on a healthy body. And within our psychology, the way of Jungian psyche, is the metaphysical, which includes the spiritual and creative aspect. We can not separate one from the other, it is the total person that needs to be 'whole' if there is to be true balance. In this post I will comment on the association of the physical to the psychological as well as the metaphysical, especially as it has to do with my physical routine of shooting a basketball. This involves the intuitive nature and 'letting go', the source of any abilities when I shoot those 'amazing' shots .

Let's begin with a little history of physical fitness and my own experiences. My generation, the Baby Boomers {1946-62}, was the first generation to actively participate in a healthy physical lifestyle. Prior to that the only real promoter of good physical health was legendary icon Jack LaLanne, the 'Godfather of Fitness'. Unfortunately my parents' 'Greatest Generation' never engaged Jack Lalanne and his message of physical fitness. And although they enjoy a longer lifespan it is due to the benefits of new drugs, surgeries and advanced medical treatment.

In the early 1980s physical fitness became a fad when the new 'disco' type fitness facilities popped up all over the country {precursor to the YMCA/physical fitness facilities we know today} . They were, along with the the disco/dance lounges and bars, the 'pick-up' places where the 20s-30s year olds met. To join a fitness facility meant spending $1000/$1500 for membership. But what a place they were. Open floors of equipment combined with indoor tracks, large aerobic rooms, handball courts, some with basketball courts, indoor swimming pools, wet and dry saunas, jacuzzi, all available to the 'eye' if there was not an interest in 'getting into shape'. Aerobics was in its infancy but there were lots of gorgeous people who participated and that was a real attraction. There were as many who took classes primarily to 'watch' as to participate. It was a real 'zoo', animal types of all different sizes, shapes and mental zones.

Note: I participated in aerobics in the mid to late 80s until I realized the damage it could cause on the lower limbs. Those were the days when 'animal hour' was a 90 minute routine of all out aerobics, before step aerobics became the proper routine for such activities. Long distance running was also a fad. The problem was, and is, too much stress on the lower limbs is not the proper physical routine for most people. It is almost a 100% certainty those who do participate in such activities, especially the prolonged running, will experience some type of physical problems with their lower extremities requiring medical treatment if not surgery. This is a fact, just ask anyone who engaged in such activities. On the positive side, I have never been in better physical shape than when I participated in aerobics.

Unfortunately most who joined in the physical fitness craze never took it seriously. The fad died quickly and although the importance of physical fitness is talked about it is not a part of our culture as it should be. Those of us who did 'stay the course' and made physical fitness a part of our lifestyle, the benefits are now being realized, and the results are immense. The old saying 'pay me now or pay me later' readily applies when we look at physical health and aging. Twenty years ago seeing someone at the age of 61 running and jumping as I do would have been a true phenomena. It was not something a normal person could do. But that has changed. Our bodies are able to do more than we could have ever imagined twenty years ago. Jack LaLanne was looked upon as a 'freak' of nature to most but in truth he was what we can become when physical fitness is taken seriously and made a part of the lifestyle. What I can do is not yet the norm, but it can be. I am proof, as was Lalanne and anyone else who has taken this aspect of life seriously, that physical fitness does make a difference. This video is not 'look at me and see how great I am'. It is about what can be if physical fitness is a part of the life. And on a greater scale what can be when there is contact with that 'inner being', expressing oneself in 'natural ways' beyond the norm.

The Metaphysical Aspect
The video I have posted is but a two minute part of what is my normal 50 to 60 minute physical fitness routine {most often, when time allows I also engage in a brisk 20/30 minute walk on the indoor track - this is where I do a lot of 'deep' thinking}. This routine, along with a relatively good diet, lets me maintain my weight at 155 lbs. In my full routine {of which I will post later} I am able to do some things with a basketball that is beyond just the norm. My intent is a good workout and not just putting the ball into the hoop. The physical part comes when I miss a shot and get the rebound, shot again until I do put the ball into the hoop. If you will notice the most amazing shots occur when I miss, rebound and within one motion shoot again. Over the head shots, shots made on a rebound and in the same motion making another shot and it goes in, these are things I do without thinking. I have learned to 'let go' and let my natural reflexes do its thing. Granted, I do have the abilities but such shooting is not something I intend, it just happens. I attribute these abilities to my natural and learned intuitive self. Shooting a basketball is about the proper form and motions. Gaging the distance to the basket and putting a ball into a hoop involves a lot of intuitive 'mathematics'. The brain is an amazing tool. It is more so when one is able to let go and let the instinctive forces take over. And when the mind and body 'knows' it is capable to doing some thing, it becomes natural. Like riding a bike, you never forget. This is what happens when I shoot basketball. I know I am able to put the ball into the hoop. And when the reflex shots occur {often I will shoot with the intent of missing just to shot a rebound shot}, boom, some amazing things happen. This is a 'metaphysical' experience. Physically I may be able to shoot a 'normal' shot and put it into the hoop. But beyond just the physical those 'unnatural' one hand shots, or the shots over the head or with my back turned away from the basket, that is something that comes with a 'knowledge' beyond just abilities. It is reflex', letting go and letting those natural forces do its thing. It is not much difference in this and the provers we are very familiar with in other aspects of our metaphysical lives that involves 'letting go'.
From my spiritual experiences at Unity churches, Let go and let God

And from my experiences with Star Wars and Joseph Campbell, "Luke, trust your feelings" ...... "use the force Luke...let go of your feelings".

And more from Star Wars

[Luke is training with his lightsaber and a laser remote aboard the Millennium Falcon.]
Ben Kenobi: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.
Luke Skywalker: You mean it controls your actions?
Ben Kenobi: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

Ah! Ha! moments.

Physical Fitness and You

OK, I've demonstrated how great I am in shooting a basketball and what great physical condition I am in. But what about someone who has not lived the past 30 years with a lifestyle of physical fitness? Well there is good news and great news. The good news is it is never too late to start. The great news is it doesn't require a lot to 'get in shape'. If you do choose to engage in a physical routine, and will stay with it until there are noticeable benefits, your life will be much fuller and enjoyable. Scientific research has shown that even those in their 80s saw improved physical functions when they began even light lifting of weights and/or light physical fitness routines.
And you don't have to take on a physical routine that requires 20 hours a week to make progress. As I mentioned a part of my routine involves walking. There are numerous scientific reports that show walking 3 to 5 times a week for 30-45 minutes will make a great difference in your physical condition. Regular walking is as good as running long distances when the goal is to be physically healthy. Light weights will improve muscle and bone structure. Dribbling a basketball part of my routine I did not include in this video} will increase flexibility and dexterity. Shooting a basketball uses many muscles in the body and enhances hand to eye coordination. This may seem benign but as we age such things make a big difference, not only in longevity of life but more important the quality of life. As life spans increase the quality of life will depend on physical conditioning. Medical research may prolong your life and even make it better physically. But to live a life at its fullest you will have to engage in some type of physical routine. Mine happens to be shooting basketball. And its is fun. Really, it is a lot of fun.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present