Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slaying the Dragon-MUsings About My Journey

How often have you witnessed me use the term, 'slaying the dragon'? Many times if you read my posts. For me the 'dragons' been most prevalent in recent weeks due to the increase responsibilities having to do with my work. This is the busy season in the building trades and the stress level that goes with it increases the blood pressure to heights that can humble a person. But more than that it takes away from the 'creative' self. So much so at times 'it seems' there is nothing there creative wise. I am so mentally engaged in what has to be done in my work/responsibilities I have too little mental facilities left over. The creative juices become dormant, the dragon has the upper hand. Or at least it seems that way.

It is at times like these I understand Campbell's dictate about slaying the dragons. Campbell often spoke of the social dragon {Campbell's statement about Nirvana being a 'a psychological indifference to fear, desire and social duty'}. When we look at the Monomyth we see the sequence of actions that include the 'Road of Trials'. In mythology the hero is challenged to prove heroic qualities. In everyday life the person/hero is challenged to prove himself/herself as disciplined, surviving the tests in life so to acquire that place of bliss. The trials along the way are used both to steadily build tension and also develop character. The true character of the hero is displayed when he/she is able to retain/return to the creative aspects that support the bliss in life.

I have been in the place many times over the past several years, being so busy that I was not able to maintain my concentration so to interpret dreams. That is no longer a problem. I know for certain the abilities are there, I can now look at a dream at anytime and know I possess those qualities needed to address a post in a proper way. In the past that has not been the case, I have even closed down the Dream Forum due to lack of time and concentration. So, although I still have the problem with time, the concentration has been overcome. One dragon slain.

But there is one more 'major' dragon left to slay. My bliss will be realized when I no longer have to wake up every morning to the demands of responsibilities of work. Instead, my efforts/energies can be directed at those things I love most. The interpretation of dreams, developing and expanding my website Myths-Dreams-Symbols, exploring the greater possibilities of the psyche. These interests, along with my discipline of physical fitness and taking time for the self {I always make time in my daily routine to relax, to do nothing}, that is what i am working toward, the last great dragon that stands in my way. In the past it seemed so far away, that place of bliss. But now, being within one year of early retirement {and an income as limited as it may be to survive} I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have slowly over the years divorced myself {divorce is a term I have a lot of experience with} from many of my social obligations, becoming at times a bit of a recluse so to concentrate on my blissful endeavors.

It seems as if it were scripted all along, the path I have traveled. For first time in my life I know exactly what I want, where I need to go. If I had that knowledge earlier in life I know I would have discovered my bliss a lot sooner. But better late than never. I see myself as fortunate that I have discovered my bliss. Most people never do. And I can feel good that I have had the discipline to stay the course. That is usually the one obstacle, the one dragon, that prevents many from reaching those blissful goals. It is often a matter of priorities but it also a matter of responsibilities. Having lacked those qualities earlier in life, I now feel it important to stay the course and see this one last social obligation through {I gave the business to my son and daughter-in-law several years ago but remain to manage the Nashville business while they develop the Orlando company}. I am increasingly thinking about what needs to be done to make that one final transition {when I retire my plans are to move to Florida, although closer to the ocean/symbolically the collective psyche}. I can feel excited about the future but there is much to be done. But I know it will all fall into place. I have the helping hands to help me in my journey.

The filming and posting of the basketball video has been a task I have been working on for almost a year now. I am very passionate about physical fitness and with my newly discovered 'skills' with a basketball I have found the proper forum to convey those feelings. I hope to develop a video about my actual workout routine after I make the move to Florida {I am in the beginning process of making contacts in the central Atlantic region in Florida}. On gripe about physical fitness is how boring it can be. My workout shooting basketball is anything but boring. And it is a great way to develop/maintain so many aspects of the body. Along with some localized interpretation of dreams so to make a few extra dollars to survive I have a plan that hopefully will let me live th rest of my life 'following my bliss'.

Often I have read posts at the Dream Forum where there were similar 'dragons' to what I have experienced in my journey. I hope my musings about my path are helpful to others. That is why I have taken the time to put what I feel into words. I have been on this path since 1994 and have experienced/lived life in a mode that follows the dictates of the Hero Journey. From those experiences let me say something about my journey that I not only believe in but have also experienced many times. There are the helping hands to guide if you believe in yourself and the journey. Just when there seems to be little hope something happens to help you through the next phase of the journey. This hasn't been a hit and miss thing, it has been a constant. Although my life hasn't proceeded as evenly and rewarding {especially monetarily} I do have the sense that he felt in his journey. By staying the course, by discovering as much about the inner world and inner self, a determination to live a spiritual life and not a life dedicated to the material world, the bliss in life will come about. The key element seems to be the discipline. And living a truly spiritual life. I opened with the demands of the business/work. Because I do believe in ethics, by doing business so my patrons are provided the best product I can give, our business has been overwhelming. By living WWJD/WWBD {what would Jesus do/what would the Buddha do?} we have received what we have sown. It is in the spiritual realm {I have little use for religion-nature/natural law rules my life} that these good things happen. Walking the walk is what determines whether there is success or failure. I think that applies to all aspects in life. Both Campbell and Jung believed in the spiritual. Like them I have the same belief system. And with them it comes with experience.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Slaying the Dragon-MUsings About My Journey

Jerry, I enjoyed that very much. What you said reminds me of when Campbell said about Parsifal upon entering the grail castle, he said, 'now he's ready. The spiritual life is not a substitute for the secular life. He has lived that life well."

That idea connected with me yesterday at a book store as I noticed Robert Johnson's book "owning your own shadow". Not only is it owning up to some of your socially politically incorrect emotions, but something more...that the shadow can be all the strength that a struggling person doesn't know they have. I am far from the goal, I have difficulty slaying those dragons, I get rattled easily and don't have enough staying power sometimes when I need it. It seems to me that so much of the imporatant ground structure of our personalities can be dealt with by commitment and discipline. I quite tobacco many months ago, and am working out regularly. I can now focus better on my daily obligations, because I feel like I'm being fully honest with myself and giving all of myself to the future. Always appreciate your stories and posts, just busy letting things sort out and paying attention to the songs.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 34 Montana

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Slaying the Dragon-MUsings About My Journey

Sam,
Thanks for sharing your experiences. They help in my own realizations of getting 'rattled' by the social dragon. And I commend you on having stopped smoking. I know that must have been a difficult hurdle to overcome. As you know the positive results from that will be both psychological and physical. Just as with my cause for physical fitness, quite smoking will have an immediate as well as long term positive affect.

Being honest with yourself. I find it so baffling that so many have such a problem with that. I guess part of the problem is most people don't realize they are not being honest, with themselves as well with others. What I realize now as being dishonest with myself when I was a younger man was then thinking as not being the case. An example I suppose of how the ego-centric mind will shade the truth to fit the occasion. Or personality.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present