Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cat euthanasia

I had this dream a few hours after I had to put my cat down. I really did not want to do that, he was my best friend. When I found out he was sick I got him any treatment possible and took care of him 24/7 but he only got worse and just 12 days later I was being told there was nothing more that could be done for him. I then had this horrible dream.
I went to the vet and I was on the phone with some company or maybe people from the vets office and they were being extremely rude to me. I remember saying something like "I'm a vegetarian, I'd never want to hurt an animal.." and they responded with something like "Yeah right!" I then went into an exam room with my mother and my cat and the vet (same one who put him down in reality). The vet administered the drugs to euthanize him then sat down and we began discussing things, possibly about the remains. I see my cat get up and start walking around. He walked up to the vet and started grooming himself like he used to and was acting completely alive and normal. No one else was addressing this so I said to the vet "Umm..he is completely fine what's going on?!" The vet just brushed it off like "yeh yeh.." like he saw it but it was just some sort of reaction and he was still dead. Then I get up and walk over to the vets desk and he gives me this black suitcase or something, it's open and I see my dead cat cut into pieces in this case. I start freaking out and I said to the vet "Why would you do that? He was fine, why would you chop him up?!!" The vet said "Yeahh..I was going to look into that." Like he was going to double check to see why my cat was walking around after being euthanized, but just didn't end up doing that and chopped him up anyway, even though he could have been fine. This was a very disturbing dream on the most disturbing horrible day of my life. I need to know what it means, please! Thank you.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 25, rhode island

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Re: Cat euthanasia

Monica,
I will provide a better inspection of your dream later today or in the morning. Let me say I do know how you feel about losing your cat. I had two felines die of cancer last year and was with them both to the end. As a pet owner/lover I know of the pain involved with losing a 'close one'. They are a member of the family and the lose can be just as great emotionally.

Because of my emotional experiences with my two cats I tend to demonstrate 'feminine' aspects of emotions. Your dream may be speaking to your masculine aspects.

The scenario with your cat may be speaking more about you and less about losing him. Specifically your masculine aspects {your cat being a male}. It may be such masculine qualities, while still 'walking around inside you' are dead in its use in your outer life. The emotional trauma of losing your cat {being emotional is a feminine quality} may be saying something about the loss of masculine attributes within your psyche. My deeper inspection of the dream may provide better specifics.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

I'm so sorry about your cats. My baby had FeLv, FIV and lymphoma. I had no idea cancer was so common among cats. I've heard of cats living into their 20's without any of these horrible illnesses. My cat was only 8 :( I still don't want this to be real. He was absolutely my best friend and like my own child. I cared for him more than any people in my life. He was the most lovable creature I've ever met.

I was hoping the dream was some kind of message from him because I did ask before falling asleep, to contact him in my dreams. I'm interested to hear the rest of your interpretation. Thank you.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

monica,
As much as I would like to think that someone in my life, including my cats, could contact me from the 'other side' through my dreams, I can say that isn't a function of dreams. If there is a venue for such contact it is still to be discovered, at least in a empirical way that will pass the scrutiny of science.

Your dreams are about you and your emotions. This dream undoubtedly is related to the passing of your beloved feline but what emotional aspect it has activated is to be learned. My sense is your closeness to him triggered the dream partly as a response to that close relationship and the grief associated with him. The negative feelings toward the veterinarian may be about your own inner emotions and less to do with the death of your cat {veterinarian being symbolic of instinctive behavior on your part}. In that sense your dead cat would represent something within yourself has died, having been 'chopped' emotional wise. It could be the close ties you had with your cat, those aspects of 'feminine' interactions are what the dream is addressing, those being instinctive the 'intuitive' aspects you possess as a human and the natural aspects he possessed . Although I do not believe in communication with the 'other side' I do believe anything that is of a natural order {if supported by natural law} is possible in interactions between human and animal. We all come from the same 'original' genetic material and being so we are capable to senses not normally used in everyday life.

All in all I think the dream is to do with the death of your cat but it also gets into deeper aspects of your own psyche. This is what dreams do, address current waking emotional conflicts as well as the deeper issues of personality and behavior that stem from earlier lief conflicts.

To help you understand how dreams function as a science {psychologically} I suggest you read my page A Simple Guide to Dreams.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

I absolutely believe in the spiritual side of dreams. When we dream, we are projecting into the astral world where it is completely possible to communicate with those who are no longer in the physical world. I've had too many obvious experiences to ever doubt that and so have a lot of people I know. Scientific "proof" doesn't mean much to me especially because they always end up "proving" things that many cultures have already known for centuries. So I guess I was looking more for the spiritual message from my cat and not so much the psychological meaning. In a way I did want both. I was worried I did the wrong thing by putting him down because he could somehow be cured. I was afraid the dream was telling me it was possible and I just had him put down anyway. Thank you for your interpretation, I always enjoy them and it gives me something to look into. Next time your cats happen to appear in a dream of yours, maybe consider they could be trying to say hello :)

monica,
We will have to agree to disagree on the subject of dreams being astral projections. I do believe in the spiritually of dreams since those aspects are a part of the human psyche. The science of dreams is something that can be proven, you need only consult the thousands of posts here at the Dream Forum. But I am not here to convince you of that. My purpose is to help others understand their dreams. Arguments about the validity of Jungian dream science or any method related to dreams is for another place and another time. I do hope you find comfort in the passing of your cat since I too still grieve over the passing of my dear love cats last year. It may be of little solace but their memory is of some comfort, the wonderful experiences while they were here ingrained in my heart. As for my cats being in my dreams, the task is to understand why they are there and why I would dream of them. Understanding the love I have for them is no doubt one reason but the science of my own 'inner cat' is also a reason. Either way cats are a wonderful part of my life.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present