Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swordfish/Shark caught at sea

Jerry,

This is a dream a good friend of mine had. He asked me my take on it. I believe the dream represents an assimilation of deep, unconscious aspects of himself, but I am sure that there is more to it than that.

I recently had a consultation with him about his Astrological natal chart in which we discussed in depth the portrait painted by his chart, and what it means about him.

He also just went through a major shift in his family dynamic; making the decision to not see his sister and parents at the same time, because of deep resentment that his sister has for his parents. He and his sister were very close, but are no longer speaking.

Here is the dream he wrote to me about:

My mom and dad and I were on a boat in the ocean. A fishing rod was cast out in the sea. I went to go hold the fishing rod, and felt there was a strong fish on the other end of it. I pulled it up and it was a gigantic shark/swordfish I didn't know what it was really, but it was beautifully scary and about as tall as a person (a bit taller maybe). We were all excited but I was a bit apprehensive. My dad went in the kitchen to start preparing the meal, and I was left with the fish to try and figure out what to do with it.

At first it's mouth was open and threatening, but I put a towel over it's eyes, and laid it down on it's side, and sat next to it, and it seemed calmer. I got very close to it, and was a bit sad to see it out of the water like it was. I started talking to it, it was feminine of course, and had a deep but friendly voice. We spoke for awhile, like a friend would talk to a soldier or something when they were dying in it's arms. It asked me to remove the hook from it's mouth. I took some pliers and started removing the hook, and I could feel how it felt for the fish to have this hole in it's mouth. It became very calm and after I removed the hook I could see no life left in it. My dad made a dinner with the fish with rice and other things and it was kind of good but i wouldn't allow myself to fully enjoy it as I had this like connection with it and really respected it. I think my sister showed up later in the meal for an appearance.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 28 Fresno, CA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Swordfish/Shark caught at sea

Mellinda,
I can see the connection you felt. The boat in the ocean would likely point to deep unconscious conflicts with the fish being the 'true' emotions {a fish is a symbol for the true spiritual identity, and utilizing the 'higher' Self}. The dream introduction, with his mom and dad, sets the stage as to what emotional conflict is being addressed. The fish is also a symbol for the feminine, his sister. The decision involving his parents and sister was something done out of concern for the family as well as out of wisdom {an aspect of the higher self}.

The communication between family members would be a conflict but if there is not an actual 'seeing' of each other that would eliminate such a conflict. Plus the non-communication with his sister which removes possible verbal conflicts. He controls the actions, the shark/swordfish being the threatening conflict between family members. The 'beautiful/scary part may point to strength of his personality {he tends to make wise decisions} which reflects his 'taller' persona. Plus there are probably 'beautiful' aspects related to family involved. Another aspect may involve his 'anointment' of family conflicts. There may be issues of such an anointment related to father/son relationships {his father is to prepare the meal while he is to resolve the conflict}. His father would be a literal reference and in another way a symbolic reference to his own wisdom.

Bringing these conflicts out of the water, the unconscious realm, to conscious resolution. Dialog with the feminine, literal in speaking with his sister, and symbolically the dialog with his higher feminine qualities

'He is asked' to remove the 'hook', a literal reference of resolving the family conflict and a symbolic reference to his inner qualities {the fish is a symbol of Christ, Jesus who lives/represents the higher feminine qualities within the psyche}. Things became calm {a feminine aspect} when he removed the hook/removed the issues that could cause deeper family conflicts.

A return to the meal 'prepared by his dad' which was good but lacked 'respect'. The dream may be addressing deeper aspects to the father/son relationship, and in even deeper aspects his own personality {determining the whole possibilities would require 'couch time with your male friend, delving deeper into his psyche}.

I can agree your natal charts were correct in your assessment of the family conflict. But you can see where the dream can go even deeper. My sense is from the whole of the dream your male friend has a wisdom about himself which may be saying something about strong personal characteristics. Also possible spiritual aspects since the dream utilizes the fish as a primary symbol. You may want to ask him if there was an actual diner where fish was served.

The way of the dream. Difficult on the surface but truthful in its explanation.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn. USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Jerry,

I passed your analysis along to my friend. This is what he had to say in response:

Wow what an amazing analysis!!! thank you thank you thank you for that - and thank jerry too - it gives me confidence that my actions are the correct way to go (even though I'm pretty sure they are) and it gives me the strength I need to go all the way with them. Jerry's right about other issues going on with my dad (the respect part) I respect certain parts of him very very much and others not so much but thats something for another time. I really appreciate you passing that on and his ability for dream analysis is obviously top-class.

Much respect,
Mellinda

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 28 Fresno, CA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Mellinda,
I appreciate the follow up report from your friend. It is always gratifying to know my interpretations have merit and even more gratifying to know they lend positive support to the dreamer's life. Your male friend 'conflict' with 'respect' toward his dad will probably have consequences within his own life when it comes to trusting different aspects in his life. Learning now what those aspects may be will be of great benefit in the future.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn. USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present