Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
irresponsible Parenting

So about a month ago I had a dream the I was fighting my daughter(age 5) And I cut off her head with a sword. Then I woke up devastated.

About a week ago I dreamt that I was floating a river with my 2 year old son and we stopped at a beach. I was watching him play next to the river. As he was getting closer to the water I started moving toward him but just as I got close enough to grab him, he fell in. I jumped in after him but lost him in the dirt and murk floating in the water. Again... I woke up devastated.

Last night I had a dream that my family was playing at a water park. At the end of the day, my wife was watching the kids as I was packing out the ice chest and I happened to glance into a pool and I saw my 2 year old son sitting at the bottom of the pool. I immediately jumped in after him but as I got closer he looked at me. He looked pale and tired from possibly fighting for his life to stay above water. I did not know how long he was in there, but it was apparent that he was alive... barely.
I had the feeling that I just couldn't get to him fast enough. Once again I woke up feeling devastated.

Am I just a horrible parent? What does it mean?? How do I make it stop???

Thanks for your help!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 27 Washington State

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: irresponsible Parenting

Matt,
Would you believe these dreams may have less to do with your children and are more about you, a a child? The dream is using your children to illustrate 'devastation' you feel from your own childhood. They are SYMBOLIC representations of 'drowning' emotions you feel/felt from you childhood.

Unless there are serious reasons to fear for your real children's safety then these dreams are most likely about you. There is a possibility that because of your devastating' childhood you feel a need to save your own children. The question of whether you are a horrible parent must have some basis that needs answering. Have you been the good parent you should be? If not why? The reason would probably be from your own childhood situation, thus the children in your dreams are both them and you.

Was there an incident at the age of 5 that left emotional wounds. Do you have a sister? The incident may have involved her. Think back to that time period and see what is there.

The dream of your two year old son would be symbolic of a need to reach out to yourself when you were a child. And a need to reach out to him and be a better parent. But there are probably unconscious forces that have their foundations in your own childhood that 'make you do things' you really do not want to do {to your family}. Dreams are a direct connection to the unconscious and any unresolved emotional conflicts are the subject of your dreams. Your unresolved childhood experiences have left a 'devastating' impression on your psyche and may have prompted behavior on your part that you can not control. Does this fit your personality, perhaps lashing out at your children/family because of minor disappointments or bad days in your current life?

Do you have bouts of depression? The last dreams suggests you may at times feel 'tired' of fighting for your life. Again, if true, these would be from your childhood and the lack of good parenting by your father and/or mother. And influences/experiences from those years would be imprinted on your unconscious and could be controlling agents in your present life. You may be repeating what you learned as a child, repeating the bad parenting.

If my interpretation is correct then I do suggest you seek psychological counseling. You are fighting unconscious forces that need the attention of a trained professional. Asking the question whether you are a horrible parent suggests you know you are not in many ways. The reason why is within your unconscious. Bringing that out and finding resolution to your own childhood emotional conflicts is the only way to insure you become the good parent you never had as a child.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 61 Murfreesboro, Tn. USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: irresponsible Parenting

Matt I have had somewhat similar dreams before, in my experience it has often been making an unruly baby go to sleep, or diving in after a drowning child. That is very similar in its effect. The simple purpose in doing something like putting your baby to sleep or killing her is only a matter of degrees. The purpose is the eog's desire to cut off the unconscious and repressed dream from reaching your waking ego, so that your ego doesn't have to reckon with the whole dream. If you think of the child or baby in danger as representing the whole dream itself, or the troublesome unconscious in its entirety, it is easier to understand. The child or baby is like the dream, something small and difficult to manage at times, something growing and coming into life, becoming more and more a part of your life, and needing attention. Dreams really are compensatory, so they are chock full of emotions and painful experiences if our waking brains are too one-sided, which they often are. When I dream of putting the baby to bed or of a sleeping baby, it is usually at the end of the dream, before I wake up. It is important to remember the dream leading up to that because that is the stuff that is trying to get your attention. Killing the child only means that you have a strong distaste for registering the emotionally difficult dream in your waking brain. you'd rather believe it never happened, who wouldn't? but it did happen, and your understanding of who you are will increase when you take the trouble to remember the dream.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 34 Missoula MT

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present