Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Premature Labor

I am 7 months pregnant and had an awful dream last night that I had gone into labor unknowingly.
In the dream I got up out of bed to go to the bathroom, something I do every night because I am pregnant, and when I pulled my underwear down I saw that I was bleeding down there. I sat on the toilet to urinate and watched as blood came out with my urine. I felt the need to defecate, but was scared to push for fear of pushing out the baby. I was not having any contractions or any indication that I was in labor. I reached down between my legs to feel if there was anything wrong, and I felt the top of the baby's head cresting. I was very scared because I didn't know how long the baby's head had been in my birth canal and was scared that he couldn't breathe in there. I crawled into bed and tried to wake up my husband. I was shaking him and slapping him, but he wouldn't wake up. It occurred to me that I was dreaming so I reached between my legs again to check and felt the top of the baby's head again. I tried to wake my husband again, checked between my legs again. Finally I was able to wake my husband up by pinching his nostrils closed and accidentally pulling out some nose hair. I told him "The baby is coming RIGHT NOW! Our son is coming!"
Then I woke up and checked between my legs and realized it was just a dream.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 29, San Francisco

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Premature Labor

Mellinda,
According to studies your pregnancy has an affect on your dreams. All dreams are reflected of the emotional life of the dreamer and although the same holds true during pregnancy dreams during this period of 'birthing' dreams can take on added urgency. That is partly due to the heighten emotional state women experience and partly due to other physical and psychological stimuli. Here is part of an article that speaks to dreams during pregnancy in detail. I haven't screened all of the contents but it does seem to fit with the 'Jungian' concept of dreams and their interpretation. From my perspective that is most important since Jung 'got it right' when trying to understand our dreams. I'll provide this article {which has several parts} and give an interpretation of your dream in the morning {Sunday}.

Article: What's in a dream? During pregnancy, a lot
From BabyCenter.com

Why are my dreams more vivid and memorable now?
Dreams are like funhouse mirrors that reflect your emotional state. And since pregnancy can feel like an emotional roller coaster, it's not surprising if your dreams are more vivid and crazy than usual. A boost in the hormone progesterone during pregnancy could be a factor in creating those emotional ups and downs.

If you're remembering more dreams than usual, you can chalk that up to pregnancy too. Most people remember only an occasional dream, even though we all dream every night. But pregnant women are typically up and down all night, prodded by bladder pressure, anxiety, and other pregnancy sleep disturbances.
The more often your sleep is interrupted, the more likely you are to wake up during with a dream fresh in your mind.

What do my dreams mean?
Some experts say that pregnancy dreams reflect your excitement, fear, and apprehension about the physical and emotional changes happening to you. They point to certain themes that they believe are common to each stage of pregnancy.
We've asked world-renowned psychologist and dream expert Patricia Garfield, author of Women's Bodies, Women's Dreams, to tell us what some common pregnancy dreams might mean.

Part 2: First Trimester Dreams

Jerry

Myths-Dreams-Symbols is Sponsored by:
Gifford Fence-Middle Tennessee
Nashville/Murfreesboro/Brentwood/ Franklin/ Lebanon/Hendersonville/Mt. Juliet/Springhill
Gifford Fence Orlando/Gifford Fence Melbourne/Melbourne Fence Pro

Daniel Gifford's 2Stain Fence Staining

The Power of Dreams/Dream Interpretation Space Coast

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 62 Space Coast, Fl.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Mellinda,
My sense of the dream symbolically is partly related to the exhaustion of being pregnant. And the natural fears that come with giving birth {the health of the baby as well as your own well being}. Have you given birth previously? The lack of contractions and labor may point to the fact you have {I was not having any contractions or any indication that I was in labor}. Dreams will often express truths that are related to past experience.

The 'top of the baby's head cresting' and 'the baby's head had been in my birth canal' may be saying something the 7 months you have been pregnant. Tat would go to the exhaustion I mention previously. And your husband has been of little help. There may be excessive emotions and fears you have with the pregnancy. Emotionally you are ready for the baby to arrive.Realizing it is a dream may suggest an emotional charged experience.

Jerry

Nashville/Murfreesboro/Brentwood/ Franklin/ Lebanon/Hendersonville/Mt. Juliet/Springhill

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Jerry,
Thank you for your response.

I HAVE given birth before. This will be my second child. My daughter is almost 3 now. This pregnancy has been tiring. We moved when I was about 4 months along and are still in the process of getting set up in our new home. Our van has been having engine problems for the past month or so, so we are restricted to using public transportation. On my own during the day with a 3-year-old, getting her stroller on and off the buses and trains, etc. has been exhausting.

In the days following this dream I have given some thought to its meaning. I think the dream speaks of my anxieties concerning our lack of preparation for the baby's arrival. He will be here in two months and I feel like we are ill prepared. If he were to come now we would be scrambling around trying to get what we need. Not having a vehicle has not made any of this any easier. In the months leading up to this dream I had tried often to talk to my husband about what needs to be done, but he seemed overly stressed with his new job and unable to process anything that I would bring up. It was much easier for him to deny the imminent arrival of our son than it was for me to deny it. After all, I can feel him moving around inside of me. Interestingly enough my husband suddenly "woke up" to the reality of the baby coming soon the day after I had this dream! We spent the weekend working hard on preparations and I am feeling much better.

Another anxiety I have been having concerning the birth involves my personal birth training. For my first birth I prepared for a hypnobirthing birth, and my birth was amazing. My birth preparation involved setting aside about an hour every day for months prior to the birth to perform self-hypnosis, or deep meditation. I haven't been able to set aside a single moment for meditation up until now, and I am concerned about what the birth will be like.

Mellinda

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 29, San Francisco

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Mellinda,
It does seem I hit on several aspects of your actual waking experiences in my interpretation. As for the stress I would recommend the meditation as a lifestyle endeavor and not just during pregnancy. And your husband finally realizing the coming birth is real and being more supportive is a positive.

Getting into specific symbols and their metaphorical reference I can see where the dream references 'shaking your husband' to wake up would be associated to his finally waking up to the fact there is a baby coming. You have been trying to come to his senses so the dream points to the emotional stress that created. A lot of your dream seems to be very much straightforward as symbols go and that may related to your age {29}. You are still very much in the formative years of adulthood but beyond the years of adulthood 'innocence', the learning years of being on your own. In my experience in working with dreams the symbolic references at your age will be more likely to reflect actual waking life stresses of the moment and not a reflection of the past as with older persons. Al least for the majority of people.

I sense in your last post a positive attitude. A weekend working 'together' on needed things, solving at least some aspects of the problem causes your stresses. You can continue that positive attitude if you go back to your meditation. You know it works, that's a 'no brainer'. Not to do so will reveal the power of the negatives, revealing a case of not having a brain.

A major focus of Jungian psyche is on the 'metaphysical', an aspect that is a part of every human psyche. When you meditate you touch that 'deeper' part of yourself and that is always good for both your physical and psychological health. The affect is a product and process within nature. We only need to discipline ourselves to participate in conservation with our 'other self' and meditation, as well as dreams, do just that. When you examine your dreams and try to sort through their meaning you better gain a better understanding the actual experiences dreams are referencing in your waking life. Dreams are about the emotions. A primary function of dreams is to help resolve emotional conflicts. Dreams define the conflicts in primarily symbolic/metaphorical language but in a way that 'enlightens' the mind when examined. And if done so as a tool for 'introspection', the soul. You need not fully understand the meaning of a dream because just the participation in working with the dream is therapeutic. Dreams are therapeutic by nature and they can help heal. Taking a little time to examine ones inner self helps our objectivity. We get so 'subjective' we no longer notice the real values of the inner life. I'll use a quote Joseph Campbell a second time in the last two days, it seemingly fitting for both occasions.

“People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life. I don’t think that’s what we’re really seeking. I think that what we’re seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonances without own innermost being and reality, so that we actually feel the rapture of being alive.”
― Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present