Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
nightmare of spider

This felt like a nightmare. I walk into a bathroom with a large mirror. There are cobwebs around. There is a huge light brown spider on the web. I am hoping I can miss him as I move through. He moves towards me and bites me hard on my back. I try to remove him away. The sting stays there for a while.

In the second part of the dream I am arguing with my mother surrounded by our family. This is a re occurring nightmare that I haven't had for a while.

I try to link these two together and find how maybe my anxiety passed on by my mother (she is similar to me) has spun out of control. I look at my current relationship with a partner and feel a sense of hopelessness I cannot get out of. This and my anxiety have been the nightmare since my young adult years.

Are there any other findings from this dream?

Much appreciated, with kindness
M

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 31

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: nightmare of spider

Magdalena,
A very good possibility you have hit the nail on the head with your interpretation. The bathroom is a place of cleansing and 'elimination'. The cobwebs could be just that, unconscious cobwebs of past experiences that retain energy on your conscious self. It could also point to the spider as your mother as well as the emotional conflicts it causes with your partner {male spider}. The cobweb could also be a statement about the 'tangled' web of emotions related to the spider/mother/partner relationships..

The second dream where you are arguing with your mother could be addressing the literal arguments. But she could also represent your wise self, an inner conflict of disagreement {inabilities to eliminate the influences}. In this context the family would be your whole self, all the parts that make up who you are. The dreams is addressing your whole life experiences, the mother influence as well as the relationship with your partner.

Beyond that there is that motherly influence passed on to you. You are trying to 'move through/eliminate' the mother influences that affect your relationship with your partner. That would also require 'masculine' traits to achieve. The back would be a symbol of hidden personality traits.

If there is not something better that fits with this 'elimination/cleansing' motif then it is likely to do with your mother as well as your partner. It is not unusual for dreams will use a synthesis of emotional experiences.

You may want to take up dream interpretation. You seem to have gotten a good hold on these dreams.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 63 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Host Dream Forum

Thank you Jerry. I have never been that good in dream interpretation but I am fascinated by symbolical and meanings. I have posted many dreams here in the past. I guess I need to stop looking for my dreams as the answers to my life. I am confused. The dream shows me the relationship is trapping me. I know this. The dream shows me I am hopeless. I know it. It scares me how close that dream has reflected my feelings. I would like to know more about the 'back'. What does it mean the spider bit me in the back? How can I access this back if it is so hard to reach? Do you suggest I read Joseph Campbells' books? Which are the best in order to introduce oneself to his theories?
Kind regards
Magdalena

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

Magdalena,
The symbolism of the back is likely related to personality. It can also symbolize unconscious contents {front would be consciousness} and that would associate itself with personality aspects. it can represent your attitudes, strengths, burdens and conscious outlook on the world. This would suggest your personality that so greatly was influenced by your mother has made you much like her . Your partner moving toward you may represent his getting close to you and that 'bites' you in the unconscious and brings out the 'mother' influence. That part of your personality would the problem. What you need to do is recognize what those are and change them. But it would also require you to reconcile those inner forces since they have become a part of your fabric. The unconscious drives {archetypes of the unconscious} are so strong it is often more than just knowing what the influences are, it is overcoming those influences. Just as with someone who uses food, drugs, sex or other substitutions for what is lacking in their lives {most often due to childhood experiences/influences}, over coming those habits are not easy. And because they are unconsciously driven {the archetypes are a set of instructions that needs to be met in the waking life} often it is unknown they even exist. The mother physically fulfills a role but she also has a psychological role to feel, as does the father and other aspects of life. If you have the he unfulfilled physical mother as the psychological, there will be a serious conflict later in life, and throughout life. This is the power of the archetypes.
think of the new hatch turtle that knows to go directly to the ocean. It has a set of 'archetypal' instructions that tell it to do this.

To overcome these influences is first to want to. Your questions indicate you are at that point. I overcame my 'lack of a father' through self therapy {Jung's Individuation Process. I was 42 when I began that self therapy and it took many years of study to achieve resolution to those inner conflicts. Or you can seek help from a trained therapist or psychologist {Jungian is preferred}. At the age of 31, and if you have a real interest, I would look to Individuation since through this type therapy you not only learn about healing yourself, you also learn about it takes to find wholeness and harmony in life. The void you is mostly due to negative early life influences. But when you begin to resolve those inner conflicts, and as you age, you begin to look for something else. At mid-life {35-55} the focus of life changes and meaning becomes important. This is where Joseph Campbell can play a big role, helping understand how to find meaning as well as a great primer for the more difficult style of Jungian psyche.

Where to begin with Campbell? My path started when I watched The Power of Myth {an interview with Bill Moyers}. Here is Moyers page on 'The Power of Myth' where you can watch excerpts from the six {one hour each} videos. When I first saw my first video }on PBS} it instantly changed my life, and I mean instantly. I knew after the program ended something had changed within me. What Campbell said struck an inner cord that was waiting to be discovered all along. I went from a couch potato, football freak, divorced three times to someone who now understands why I could not stay married to three good women, and who is following their bliss of working with dreams and designing websites {primarily on Jungian dream psyche}. I've been single since 1992 but I have a relationship with my bliss. My bliss is the meaning in my life, and which is most often the case for everyone. Doing that thing you love most. usually it involves creativity. Sometimes it is serving other people or a cause. You do it because you love doing it. And it always leads to a spiritual life. Not necessarily religious but spiritual in the way of Karma, and living in accord with nature.

Watch the video excerpts. Hopefully they will get your attention. If so buy the videos or possibly get them from your public library {larger libraries usually have them}. Start with these and from what you learn you will know where to look next. For more on Jungian psyche and self therapy I recommend Marion Woodman, a Jungian psychologist who has written many books on women's issues. Here is my page at The Power of Dreams website Marion Woodman with links to her books an other videos about her.

Keep me informed of your progress. And as usual the Dream Forum is here to assist you with your dreams. At least until you learn to interpret them yourself {which is very possible with your skills of understanding symbols. It is that fascination that will capture your 'imagination' with Campbell and Jung.

Jerry

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Dear Jerry thank you so much for a long deep response to my questions. I really appreciate it. I will look into your comments in much detail when I get a chance. However I wanted to post another dream which seems to follow up on the previous one discussed. Again I think it is about some renewal and again it looks at "the back" of things.

The dream was I was in a hospital about to go for an operation of some sorts. I was asked to administer my own anaesthetic as an injection. I was too scared to do it myself. The operation was meant to be done on my neck. I remember feeling that the surgeon was lifting the skin from the back of my neck even up to my head. It has a strange feeling. I remember later going to the hospital after the operation to pick up some tablets that were going to help me to heal or something like this.

What do you think it means? The neck is a structure of sorts. It holds the head. It holds the thoughts and again it was the back. And it needed to be fixed, healed, restructured again. Does it point to the need to restructure my thoughts?

Kind regards,
Magdalena

Magdalena,
Here is what I get from the images/symbols from this dream.
A hospital is place where you go to be healed. An operation is what you need to get 'something {emotional aspects} out of your system'. It is something you need to do yourself but are afraid to because of the insensitivity to the emotional pain {anesthetic}. You need to 'uncovered' {remove the skin} what is underneath the surface {in your unconscious}, what is unconscious needs to be brought to mind. The strange feeling would be the reaction to this emotional state. After this is done you will need to continue to work on the unconscious emotions and restore the inner harmony {pill}.

The dream is pointing to emotional issues that cause pain that need to be healed. You may have either resisted or have not yet fully resolved the emotional issues. It involves painful experiences.

I imagine you will know what this/these experiences are. If not then the need to uncover {skin} the issues would suggest a repression of the experiences.

The cobwebs in your other dream may suggest experiences that are not well remembered, memories 'covered with dust, or perhaps covered up. Again there is something that needs to come out {elimination} so there can be a cleansing of the emotions. Since in the last dream there was your mother these may be mother related issues {the spider is also a symbol for the mother as well as the web she {spider} weaves.

There is the possibility the mother would symbolize your unconscious. If there are no mother issues then what is happening is you have unconscious issues {you are arguing with} that need to come out involving painful experiences. This type reference yo the mother would suggest repression of these issues.If that is the case there may be experiences you have pushed deep into your unconscious.

Are there or were there issues involving your mother? Something is a constant issue in your mind since these dreams are coming in a series. Has there been 'arguments' with your mother recently? It could be that, recent issues that are really bothering you. At your age dreams tend to focus on recent experiences more so that deep embedded issues. But there could be deeper issues involved. If not with your mother {as her true self} then something serious that you have repressed {mother as the unconscious}.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present