Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Door Between the Worlds

In this dream I enter into the past through a secret door. From a distance I can see what appears to be a native American people who are living beside a frozen lake in a land of ice and snow. The scene occurs in twilight when the sun is setting, but it seems that in this strange place the sun never shines brightly. It is a land of perpetual twilight and although it looks very gloomy and depressing, it is also very peaceful and serene. When I go back through the same door I came in I make sure that I lock it with a special key, lest somebody from our time find the secret door and disturb their peace. This whole scene occurs before the white man discovered America. In the dream I realized that it was not yet time for the world of the white man and the world of the red man to meet so I needed to lock the door.

I have some native American friends who told me that snow, winter, and the north symbolize the elder stage of life, spirituality, and care and sharing in native American tradition. I know that Jung was interested in the native American medicine wheel in which each cardinal direction symbolizes a stage of life, but I don't know how he interpreted it.

One possibility I can think of is that it has to do with repressed feeling I have about my mother recently passing away last Christmas during a big snow storm. Like the scene, death can seem gloomy and dark, but it is also very peaceful.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36 years old, Canada, Ontario

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: The Door Between the Worlds

Warren,
I'll give an analysis of your dreams Sunday morning. I have pending personal business today which will require all my attention {which means too much objective thinking and too little intuitive sensing which isn't good when analyzing dreams}.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 63 Space Coast, Fla.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Host Dream Forum

Warren,
My sense is the dream is about discovering your 'original' self, which would be your true self, the true being that balanced, wholen, spiritual and creative, the person that we were all meant to be. At first when I read the words 'enter into the past' my thought was it was about personal issues and undoubtedly there are aspects related to that. But the secret door you entered is, I believe, one of knowing ones trues self. That is the 'native' primordial and original being that we still possess deep within the psyche. This is an aspect that is creative and of the spiritual nature {Native Americans lived in relationship with nature, it was/is a spiritual relationship} and not the world the white man forced upon them. The white man in your dream is the ego self, socially obligated, materially driven, an aspect that 'freezes' out the true being within. We live in a world of perpetual twilight because of our duality, on one side the darkness of the ego centered life, but with horizons of better things within on the other. The gloom is the outer world {the first Buddhist saying 'life is sorrowful'}. But when you learn to accept the fact that life is full of sorrow and you must live within it, you are letting your true self 'shine' and begin to understand there is a peaceful and serene place in this life to be experienced despite the sorrows of the world.

As for going back through the same door and locking it. This other world, the inner world, is something you are not ready for, yet. If you will look at the Monomyth {Refusal of the Call} you will see this is a stage of the hero journey. You know it is there and you must work so you can unlock it permanently when you are ready to enter fully into that world. It will come but you must be ready for it or you will continually make the same mistakes until you are ready.

At 36 you are at the beginning of the midlife stage and it is in this part of life most of us experience the transition from waking ego centered self to the true being within. There is probably recent experiences that threatened to disturb this inner tranquility {your mother passing}. Are there are major changes occurring in your life {which could have been prompted in part by your mother's passing}? The outer world is not ready for the seriousness of the inner world which may suggest there are psychological/emotional challenges before you that must be resolved. Your studies in Jung and having Native American friends suggest you are aware of this other inner world and have begun to investigate it. That would fit with the conscious knowledge that usually is associated with the 'deeper' inner knowledge that comes with following the hero journey. I see this as an important dream, an indicator you are consciously taking the right path toward realizing your true nature. Your mother's passing may have prompted an unconscious response to maturity, opening that secret door and getting a glimpse of what is to come. It also may be an indicator of personality traits you possess in association with emotional responses. Death can seem very gloomy when looked at from a perspective of ego. But in the scheme of greater things my sense is it is merely a transition from this human experience into some other experience. The body dies but the soul never does.

As for the peaceful aspect of death. The mystical Islam proverb about death bares remembrance. It states that 'when the angel of death approaches it is horrific. When it reaches you it is bliss'. No one knows about death but my sense is leaving this life of sorrow is a peaceful transition to something better.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

That's an interesting analysis you've given me. What you say makes sense about me discovering my original self. A lot of my dreams have to do with ancient ruins, old mansions, and even me being a 2 year old child again. All these motifs seem to be about some sort of primitive being, which is ancient and mysterious.

The only real major change brought on by my mother's passing was that this was the first death I have experienced of an immediate family member. It think that it did prompt a response to maturity in me. I think that the first death of a loved one prompts a response to maturity in most people, whether conscious or not.

My mother died of ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's disease) and throughout the whole time I noticed she was never angry or even showed any indication of fear of death. She always seemed very calm and tranquil. That could possibly be from where the paradoxical gloomy yet peaceful emotion I experienced in the dream came originated from.

I can also understand the white man being my ego self that freezes out my true being and that my outer world is not ready yet for the serious of my inner world. Even though I have matured somewhat from this experience I still have a long way too go until I can go back through the door again.

Thanks Jerry, and I hope the pending personal issues you needed to take care of turned out alright.

- Warren

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36 years old, Canada, Ontario

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Warren,
I do appreciate your thoughts concerning my personal issues. I have had three of my cats become ill over the past month, one whom I thought would not survive {but she is doing fine now}. I also have been working to buy a home and that process comes to an end today when I close on a home in Cocoa, Fl {the location of the old TV series
'I Dream of Jeannie' of all places}.

Your dream and other possibilities.
You may want to also look at your childhood and determine what issues from that period of your life need examination. Anytime a child appears in a dream, even at the age of two when memory has yet to be a distinct trait in a person, there is always the possibility the dream is focusing on experiences/influences from that period of time. This can happen along with the other application of the dream images we have discussed. We now know that a child's psyche can take in occurrences from its environment at the earliest stages of life {even in the womb} and although they may not be a part of conscious memory they are stored in the unconscious. Look at the relationship with your mother {which could be positive and still produce stored memories} and see what associations if any can be penned with her medical condition and or other aspects of your relationship with her before she passed.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present