Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Devouring Mother

Thanks Jerry,

But I'm still a bit confused about the interpretation you gave me. You write in very academic terms so for somebody like me who is just learning about Jung it can be difficult to understand.

First you mentioned that my dream was probably brought on by some physical experience, for example, watching a scary movie. However, you also said that archetypal images are already present in the unconscious at the age of 4 though the child is too young to understand them.

I read the link you gave me on archetypes and it says that they can loosely be compared to instincts in animals. Therefore,they must be present at birth just as animals have instincts at birth.

Was it something I experienced that caused the dream, was the image brought on by my collective unconscious or were both responsible? Maybe this cannot be known for sure.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36-Canada/Ontario

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Thanks Jerry,

But I'm still a bit confused about the interpretation you gave me. You write in very academic terms so for somebody like me who is just learning about Jung it can be difficult to understand.

First you mentioned that my dream was probably brought on by some physical experience, for example, watching a scary movie. However, you also said that archetypal images are already present in the unconscious at the age of 4 though the child is too young to understand them.

I read the link you gave me on archetypes and it says that they can loosely be compared to instincts in animals. Therefore,they must be present at birth just as animals have instincts at birth.

Was it something I experienced that caused the dream, was the image brought on by my collective unconscious or were both responsible? Maybe this cannot be known for sure.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Warren,
We are all born with the archetypal energies but how they influence an individual depends on that person. At the age of 4/5 it is unlikely there was a direct link between your dream images and the unconscious archetypal energies. There is always the possibility these energies are pointing to future personality characteristics or possible emotional conflicts {mother turning into a monster depicting future problems with feminine relationships when you get older} but that is unlikely. Usually such conflicts stem from actual experiences in life {as a young child} and since you had a great mother and there were no conflicts that would make your mother a monster {that you know of} that makes it even less likely. But there is always the possibility. Do you have a problem in your relationship with women? Do you feel women can be 'devouring' and as such having a relationship and the fear {albeit unconscious} the woman being a mother would cause emotional conflicts for you? That is where an archetypal image would point to future characteristic traits. You would instinctively know early in life {unconscious of course} something already within you {a personality trait} that will not develop until later life {and it could be a propensity to possess this trait but it does not play out}.

Most likely the dream is a common 'silly' dream of a 4/5 year old and nothing more. Watching a movie or reading a story about monsters and mothers could have been the stimulus for the images in the ream but unless your mother had been a 'monster' in her some of actions toward you then it would not be directly relate to your mother as a devouring mother. Unless of course you feel she is a great mother despite her 'devouring' attitude, if indeed she possesses those traits. Look at who you bare at age 36 and see if there are any associations to a devouring mother. If so then, yes, the dream could have been 'predicting' the future {actually not since dreams don't normally predict but instead compensate what you already know, consciously and/or unconsciously}.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 63 Space Coast, Fla.

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Host Dream Forum

Thanks again Jerry,

No, I don't have a problem in my relationship with women and my mother was a great mother. I guess not all dreams need to make sense logically, they are just neural discharges sent up from the brain steam.

Warrne,
I'll provide a more detailed response this weekend but I wanted to respond to your statement, "they are just neural discharges sent up from the brain steam". That is the furthest from the truth. All dreams have a purpose even when it is from a 4-5 year old child. I'll explain when I give my detailed response.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 64 Cocoa/Space Coast, Fla.

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Host Dream Forum

Warren,
Let me direct you to a dream post by Pat that should answer your questions about childhood dreams. another devouring mother dream from childhood

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 64 Cocoa, Fl

stats from 7-14-10 to the present