Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Edge in Dubai

The edge in Dubai

The dream begins in aberdeen. We are going over King's college (the main building of the university I studied in) in cable carts and I am contemplating how I could have been philosophy class president.
(I believe there was an earlier incident of a tradition of drinking on top of these shelves in a supermarket one of the lads from the rainforest resort I worked at is here. I feel it was a popular thing to do. I perhaps remember another bar where people are drinking glenfiddich (a scotch whisky) really fancy bottles of it.)
Anyway in the cable car over kings college I think about how this person told me they were the head of anthropology students and how I could have been head of philosophy if it'd been a smaller department. Then I thought of some of the other fine students in my year and felt doubt as to whether I could indeed have been the head but then again reflected on my potential and that if I'd wanted it I could and would have had it.

The scene switches to a journey through back roads and alleyways of old aberdeen (the area surrounding the ancient university which has paved streets and the old time feel as the university campus) There is talk of Lou salomė (a German lady who Friedrich Nietzsche fell madly in love with an unrequited love but who later became intimate with Freud and shared much of Nietzsche's work and her knowledge of him with) and how she was raped and how amazing she was and how she excelled. We are going a secret way to some building. I think I am with my two brothers. One of them tells me about someone who doesn't recognise the building when they are there.

(There was something about teleporting someone's stuff from one place to another. I move to the outside of the group)

Anyways we get to this building we are on top of it it's me and my two brothers Seán and AJ. We are apparently on top of the Burj Khalif (in real life the burj al arab the burj khalif is the tallest building in the world. Perhaps this error is relevant) or whatever that six star hotel in Dubai (actually 7 star but perhaps that's not relevant) on an island is. The roof is kinda sandy. I am exploring the edges to see if it really is this hotel by looking down when AJ plays by pushing or something. We both slip and fall. I catch one metal handle and he another. We are dangling over the side of the building. My first instinct is to curse him. My second is more patient I breath in and look at the situation he swings onto this ladder and starts his descent. This rooftop has a crazy good view. Seán and it feels like someone else we know are still on top.
We all go down the ladder. We come to this pathway which feels like more of a cliff than a building a more natural largest and it is quite high up the building only a few levels down from the top of the building. We walk along the path a bit before the scene shifts.

I think it is this dream in which the next scene is a father who is wearing a straw deerstalker it seems with a 4000gbp bill or statement for wwoofing (a work exchange programme I did quite a lot of in Australia where you work for food and accommodation at a place actually come to think of it 4000 pounds is roughly what I spent all in all in Australia I saved 3000 before getting there and perhaps earned and spent another 1000 when I was there) on it I ask him about it. This is in a dark sitting room he is sitting in a chair across from me. Just a normal sitting room chair with armrests and such. I feel he is the dad of the lad drinking in the supermarket who has bailed them out as usual.
He tells me about the first time he went to some city and the scene shifts to this walk into a city and all the lights are off at first. He gets out of his car and walks through the row of cars. On one street only the clocks in a building are working and so it is dimly lit. Walking it is certainly a proper city just that it is night it is a New York or Sydney of a city doesn't feel like Sydney though feels more like a dublin mixed with New York. That is the end of the dream as far as I remember. I believe that when he starts exploring he has a flashlight which really turns things on as he is exploring the dark city. It feels like there is a lot of people around doing the same but invisible. There feels a sense of awe shared by this epic sight now dark as if a momentous experience.

The core of the dream certainly feels the cable cart to the ladder descent.

The night before this dream I was toying with dream incubation as I was thinking before bed. I was thinking about what limited me in university or school what attitude was holding me back then? My desire for a first class honours in my degree was a source of stress and anxiety in my last two years of university. Ultimately I did not get a first.
The shady memory about drinking may be part of the answer. In my university years I used to drink quite a lot. In the earlier years it was all heavy binge drinking and partying but in the later years I developed a more refined taste for quality whisky which did not really involve drunkenness (not that I could afford that anyway!) but was about taste and savouring like people enjoy wine I guess. Getting drunk was a common pitfall since my group of friends’ primary pastime was getting drunk and though my soul was outgrowing it I found it difficult to outgrow it until I was in a different environment surrounded by different people.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23 now in canada (previously travelling Australia) but from Ireland

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Absolutely!

Re: The Edge in Dubai

Jimmy,
I'll tackle your dream Sunday. I am having problems with my recurring back and it is difficult to focus on giving a proper analysis. Plus one of my felines has gone missing which always causes concern. They are family to me. I'm doing what I can from my computer to post lost notices. I'm hoping someone took her in thinking she was a stray. I've raised her from a kitten and do want to find her.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 65 Cocoa, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Jerry,

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat and I pray for her safe return. I know how important your cats are to you and I really do hope for a fortunate resolution. Thank you for letting me know.

Jimmy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 23 now in canada (previously travelling Australia) but from Ireland

Jimmy,
I apologize for not getting to your dream as promised. The factors to do with my missing cat and bad back takes a toll on my dream work. It has just been recently my back as begun to be a problem again {I had resolved the issue some years ago by changing to a more strict diet}. It becomes very painful to sit long periods of time and of course that is necessary when using the computer and working with dream analysis. The issue with my cat is a constant since I do care for so many. If it is not having to worry about an illness {I spend a lot of money on caring for them and expensive vet bills are beyond my means} it is trying to accommodate the ferals so my neighbors arent ******** or worrying one of them will run into trouble when out doors as this cat has {all my 'personal' cats are indoor/outdoor}. Along with my mother's death on 9/11 the emotional toll is likely a part of why my back is once again acting up. But i have been in this position before and will work through it.

Your dream
I have finally analyzed your dream and I sense the same issues as the others. Not only are exploring new outer worlds but also the inner world. Your trip to Australia is proving new insights to the outer world and I believe working in a positive manner in understanding your inner world. Your statement about dream incubating the reasons for anxieties to do with limitations in your schooling confirms the later exploration. understanding the underlying reasons to what was holding you back is a part of the focus of this dream.

As for the reasons it goes beyond the binge drinking. These issues are from foundations in life, the emotional energies that built personality and attitudes. I see a lot of the need for exploring these aspects in this dream. What was holding you back may have associations to 'sitting across from your father' in this dream {see analysis breakdown}. Where there aspects about that relationship that could have cause anxieties, may have held you back? Perhaps pressures or even a lack of a good relationship overall.

There is also your statement about being able to 'outgrow'/make changes by being in a different environment. This would apply to both outer and inner environments. I sense this is what this dream and the others are addressing, both inner and outer explorations/discoveries and changes in your life. The new environment in Australia is likely contributing to the positive exploration of your inner world. I senses this from the first dream. a change of environment away from the norm has been positive. I sense your own dream work is taking on new perspectives also because of the change in your physical environment. This is where I suggest you put great energies into, taking the ladder and going deep within your unconscious psyche {self analysis/psychology} and see what were the because for the issues related to school. I believe you will make discoveries not only related to those issues but other issues to your personality and attitudes in life. The foundations are so important and understanding those will allow you to understand who you are in the present. Those underlying energies can dissolve to some degree with age and experience but until they are fully known and reconciled they remain an influence and can still motivate.

Here is my break down of your dream by paragraph. First is the breakdown of the images/actions and then the dream paragraph. Remember, I can only outline what the emotional energies are and not name the personal associations to do with recent experiences. There are always two meanings/applications and what I can determine are the underlying energies. You may be able to fit my analysis of the images/actions to recent experiences since the emotional energies are related and the dream will use symbolic metaphors to describe the different meanings/applications. Also, the personal relationships to named people/cities may have meaning beyond what I have described. I take these as generalizations of a symbolic representation {example-Lou Salome as a symbolic image and not any personal associations}.

Dream Analysis of Images/Actions

-Aberdeen/King's College-where you received your life education/foundations
-cable cars-strong characteristics
-philosophy class president-reasoning as an authority
-head of anthropology students-principle aspects of your personal evolution
-smaller department-less influenced by reasoning
-doubt-personal anxieties
-reflected-true self potential

The dream begins in aberdeen. We are going over King's college (the main building of the university I studied in) in cable carts and I am contemplating how I could have been philosophy class president.

Anyway in the cable car over kings college I think about how this person told me they were the head of anthropology students and how I could have been head of philosophy if it'd been a smaller department. Then I thought of some of the other fine students in my year and felt doubt as to whether I could indeed have been the head but then again reflected on my potential and that if I'd wanted it I could and would have had it.

-back roads/alleyways-unconscious aspects of foundations/
-Lou Salome-accessing higher feminine aspects that have been rejected/ignored
-with two brothers-two aspects related to masculine characteristics/two aspects dream is focused/recent and deeper experiences/issues
-one of them-aspect to do with deeper aspects that are not recognized

The scene switches to a journey through back roads and alleyways of old aberdeen (the area surrounding the ancient university which has paved streets and the old time feel as the university campus) There is talk of Lou salomė (a German lady who Friedrich Nietzsche fell madly in love with an unrequited love but who later became intimate with Freud and shared much of Nietzsche's work and her knowledge of him with) and how she was raped and how amazing she was and how she excelled. We are going a secret way to some building. I think I am with my two brothers. One of them tells me about someone who doesn't recognize the building when they are there.

-teleporting-bringing unconscious aspects to conscious understanding

(There was something about teleporting someone's stuff from one place to another. I move to the outside of the group)

-top of building-mental aspects
-two brothers-two related aspects
-tallest building in world-seeking higher self/true self
-on an island-conscious relationship with unconscious energies
-roof is sandy-shift/change in attitude about yourself
-exploring edges-exploring boundaries/greater possibilities
-hotel-new state of mind or a shift in personal identity
-AJ plays by pushing-pushing oneself to achieve higher limits
-slip and fall-struggling to force yourself
-catch one metal handle-strength to control one aspect
-he another-needing to control the other {underlying aspects}
-dangling over side of building- oscillating off center of true self
-first instinct curse him-original pattern of behavior of negative behavior
-second instinct more patient/breathe in-learned behavior restraining unconscious energies
-swings onto ladder/starts descent-taking steps/descending into unconscious motivations
-rooftop crazy view-lacking intellectual understanding of unconscious energies
-Sean feels someone else on top-not your true self {motivated by foundation energies}
Note: personal associations with your brother probably exist but that is beyond what a dream analyst can state for sure.

Anyways we get to this building we are on top of it it's me and my two brothers Seán and AJ. We are apparently on top of the Burj Khalif (in real life the burj al arab the burj khalif is the tallest building in the world. Perhaps this error is relevant) or whatever that six star hotel in Dubai (actually 7 star but perhaps that's not relevant) on an island is. The roof is kinda sandy. I am exploring the edges to see if it really is this hotel by looking down when AJ plays by pushing or something. We both slip and fall. I catch one metal handle and he another. We are dangling over the side of the building. My first instinct is to curse him. My second is more patient I breath in and look at the situation he swings onto this ladder and starts his descent. This rooftop has a crazy good view. Seán and it feels like someone else we know are still on top.

-go down ladder-descending into depths of unconscious
-come to pathway/feels like a cliff/natural-course of action to understand true self
-walk along path/scene shifts-making changes in chosen route

We all go down the ladder. We come to this pathway which feels like more of a cliff than a building a more natural largest and it is quite high up the building only a few levels down from the top of the building. We walk along the path a bit before the scene shifts.

-father wearing a straw deerstaker {cap}-mental aspects related to father
-4000 bill-cost of becoming whole
-work exchange programme-making changes in life's goals
-ask him about it-seeking related aspects with father
-dark sitting room-negative unconscious aspects
-sitting in chair across from me-position opposite of true self/father
-normal sitting chair-normal with armrests-accustomed position that creates attitudes
-dad of lad drinking in supermarket/bailed out-escaping aspects that create a need for self nourishment/lacking proper nourishment

I think it is this dream in which the next scene is a father who is wearing a straw deerstalker it seems with a 4000gbp bill or statement for wwoofing (a work exchange programme I did quite a lot of in Australia where you work for food and accommodation at a place actually come to think of it 4000 pounds is roughly what I spent all in all in Australia I saved 3000 before getting there and perhaps earned and spent another 1000 when I was there) on it I ask him about it. This is in a dark sitting room he is sitting in a chair across from me. Just a normal sitting room chair with armrests and such. I feel he is the dad of the lad drinking in the supermarket who has bailed them out as usual.

-tells me for first time/went to city-realizing original aspects/foundation energies within self
-shifts to walk/lights turned off-unconscious shift in path to conscious realization
-gets out of car/walks through row of car-understanding aspects related to father as well as true self
-street clocks are working-path where time is being your true self
-dimly lite-unconscious realization
-walking it/proper city-taking a proper path/true path
-more like Dublin mixed with New York-true self making greater achievements
-

He tells me about the first time he went to some city and the scene shifts to this walk into a city and all the lights are off at first. He gets out of his car and walks through the row of cars. On one street only the clocks in a building are working and so it is dimly lit. Walking it is certainly a proper city just that it is night it is a New York or Sydney of a city doesn't feel like Sydney though feels more like a dublin mixed with New York. That is the end of the dream as far as I remember.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you for your detailed response Jerry it was very helpful. I've been trying to get into a deeper interpretation of the dream (despite being slowed by a hefty dose of flu ) this past week. Your interpretation has been helpful again in expanding choices of paths to take so thank you again for that. Also I really appreciate your listing the images actions and phrases you picked out. It has been very instructive and I think I'm starting to get the hang of this element of your method (though I'm still not 100% with the phrases describing actions side of it).
While I am still digging with it I have found a few things already. I think that while my relationship with my dad has always been pretty positive there is one thing that comes to my mind in connection with this dream. When I was young in primary school (elementary school I think you would call it?) I was always the brilliant I was an extremely bright kid and I was always getting top results with minimum effort. I just breezed through it all. It was my thing I guess in the family I was the smart one and I do remember my dad being proud of me for this and it making him happy and being reinforced for it. It wasn't an external pressure or drive but I guess I internalised it and wanted to keep my parents that proud of me and to continue to live up to my reputation. So I guess when it came to secondary school and I no longer breezed through on my mind alone when hard work was required of me and I had never learned how to do hard work since it had all been so effortless for me before and as well as this since I was in a bigger school with more students and there were others getting grades higher than me I all of a sudden became aware of a problem. I had made it part of who I was to be the smart kid. Well it was my place in the family. Now here I was no longer the smartest and I didn't know what to do with it. So at first I tried to work hard but then I gave up trying to be the best and beat myself up over when I thought about it. I had put a lot of meaning on this one point. My dad is also a pretty rational smart guy (though hes very modest about it to the point of denying it) so in him there is that quality of intellect. The same problem of hard work versus intelligence was my problem in school and university. When I didn't do well it meant a lot to me. I knew I could be the best yet I couldn't seem to deliver the top results and this always haunted me.
This is the dynamic at work in this dream I think. At least it is the dynamic related to my father and to university. The binge drinking I guess is another element involved. I'm not sure how the alleyway/rooftop element fits into this story. I can begin to understand it when you relate it to my evolution in Australia but even if my evolution there is accounted for I still am yet to connect that side of the dream with this other narrative. Also I'm still trying to figure out the dark city's place. I think we have the two dynamics but it is a matter of weaving them together.
I will be delving deeper into this tomorrow to see if I can't uncover what the connection is but I wanted to tell you this much since it is rather interesting and since my response has been so delayed. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have. Thanks,

Jimmy

PS I hope you have had good news about your cat this week and that your back is also on the recovery. It sounds like you have had quite a journey with it and I do hope it improves.

Jimmy,
Let me address my method of analyzing dreams and the phrases/actions and include the new knowledge about your schooling and going from the smart kid to one who has problems working hard to maintain good grades. What I have found is the words are not always straightforward in their suggested meaning and there must be a substituting of the word to maintain its symbolic intent {although the word{s} are true in what they mean but in symbolic form}. Take the phrase 'dangling over side of building'. My interpretation of this was 'oscillating off center of true self' {which looks to fit with what you state about being the smart kid early on in your education then having trouble later}. What I do when I have trouble finding a fit of a word or phrase is to look at synonyms and/or dictionary meaning of a word. As Jung stated the dream means exactly what it says but what it says is not only in symbolic/metaphorical language but also can use a different word but with the same origins/similar meaning to describe the intent of the action. Dangling is a symbolic word and when I read the phrase {within the context of the whole dream} I look for a word or words that would best fit the action {oscillating instead of dangling}. Much of my substituting words is from an intuitive mind, feelings/impressions from the phrase and dream that 'talk' to me. You have never dangled from a building {symbolic phrase with the building being you} but you may have oscillated from your true self {being who you are and pressuring yourself to be something other than that}. In your later schooling you had trouble making the good grades so you 'oscillated' from who you really are {and your true abilities} and tried to be something you were not. You are 'cursing' yourself for not being able to sustain the smart kid identity {general rule-actions such as this is directed inward toward yourself-they are metaphorical}. You are in control one aspect after slipping and falling {in your grades} but can not control not being able to maintain your grades {not in control of the other}. I would have to go back and analyze the whole dream again with the new knowledge you have provided about the difficulty with grades and self pressure to fully state it in an analyzed form {as I stated, I can only outline the possibilities of a dream with what little personal info I have about the dreamer}. Looking at the dream with this new knowledge I can see where the hidden issues are and there is a good chance this is at least one issue the dream is attempting to communicate. Another aspect would be what affect this is having on your current life since the dream would not be focusing on the issue unless it is still in conflict or is affecting who you are in the present. There are general rules I use in analyzing dreams but that is for another time to discuss since they are involved and would take a lot of time to address. You can get a general impression of the rules in my page How to Interpret Dreams {I plan to revise/update these pages to fit with my use of basic Jungian concepts instead of a strict adherence to them}.

What you state about your grades and relationship with your father does seem very plausible and a good possibility it is a part of what the dream is focused. If it fits your life {and possess emotional energies} then it is very likely a fit. As for having to fit your later life the binge drinking could have been related to the earlier life conflicts {especially if you were still having trouble working hard to maintain your grades}. Of course binge drinking is part of being in college for many students so you must consider that. There is still a unresolved conflict that must fit somewhere and it likely still has an influence on you in some manner. I believe it is as important if not most important to identify the origins of the conflict if you are going to discover the reasons for actions/feelings when you have a dream. The past is always a part of the dream but there has to be a continuing conflict when you have the dream for any discussion of what energies are in play. It remains an issue or it would not be a focus of the dream.

As for alleyways/rooftops. An alley is something behind the house or building {you}. Anything that is in the 'behind' would likely point to unconscious aspects, hidden away from the ego self {front of the house}. It could also point to 'what is behind' the reasons for an emotional conflict/issue.

Rooftops are at the top, the mental aspect being one application {there can always be several but always at least two-one major issue being represented by the images/action/symbol}. depending on the dream and the actual experiences it could also point to something literal {as could an alleyway}, there was an actual experience on the top of a building. This is usually less likely and is something only the dreamer will know {I see it as an outline, the mental aspect which will fit symbolically but will fit}. If it involves anything to do with structures, the different floors, the basement {dark places}, the kitchen, the roof top, then one application will be it is a part/an aspect of you the dreamer. The house is you. If it is your mother's house then it involves the relationship of her with YOU. If the dream statement is 'I was on the rooftop of my mother's house' then I would look to unconscious/mental issues related to the relationship with your mother {the dream is about your emotions-she is in relationship to those}. Using these general rules have proven very successful {as demonstrated in the dream posts at this Forum}. There are many general rules, many associated to basic Jungian concepts but more general than many dream analyst will admit to. My belief is, with having only the age and gender of the dreamer, the best a good analyst can do is give a general outline of the dream. Only when there is a indepth knowledge of the dreamer's emotional life can exact personal experiences/issue be named. But when this indepth knowledge is known it should be relatively easy to put all the pieces together and get to the depths of those issues that are in conflict. Of course repressed issues will take more time but the dream will point to repression if it is a part of the process.

You can see there is a lot of depth to understanding dreams and being able to properly analyze them. I have been working with dreams since 1992 and through experience {primarily from my Dream Forum} I have seen how dreams function. I started with analyzing dreams in a more strict Jungian fashion but found this worked but was so complicated to myself and to the dreamer {attempting to explain the difficult concepts involved} I turned to using what I 'felt' and a less conceptional fashion. Instead of looking for any 'shadow' components in a dream I instead concentrated on what was hidden {in the shadows} and didn't dwell on the shadow concepts as defined by Jung. The same goes with other aspects with the exception being the anima/animus, masculine/feminine aspects. The anima/animus is so prevalent in dreams, images of unknown/unnamed persons generally pointing to these inner qualities. Generality seems to work as well or better in properly and successfully analyzing dreams, so much so I am of the belief that the psyche is more attuned to the generalities than they are to the strict concepts Jung insisted on. How and why else could someone like myself { with at best an average IQ} be so successful in analyzing dreams? A well developed intuitive sense is very important in dream interpretation but not the strict use of the concepts. Of course Jung got it right when it comes to dreams {and the psyche} so it is his concepts we must look to to guide us on how the psyche/dream functions. Knowing Jung is having access to all that Freud knew as well as the other great minds that contributes to the process of exploring the depths of the unconscious and the dream world.

Jerry

A Message From Gerald

Forum
Host/Moderator/Analyst

Help Me
Spay & Neuter

Feed & Care

MY

Neighborhood
Felines

My Dream Analysis/Interpretations Are A
FREE SERVICE

If you wish to show your appreciation please contribute to my
Feral Cat Rescue Fund

Help Me Keep My Services FREE

The cost of maintaining the DREAM FORUM, my websites and my dedication to caring for my neighborhood felines strains my resources

I NEED YOUR HELP

Please Contribute
$1.00/$5.00...Any Amount You Can Give

Use PayPal {Donate Button} or mail contribution to:

Gerald Gifford 1876 Baylor Ct., Cocoa, Fl. 32922

Secure Payment with PayPal

Jimmy,
About my cat. She has not returned home. I am hoping someone took her in as a pet. Of course being an indoor/outdoor cat she will come home if she is able. I am sure of that and hope to see her come through the kitty door soon.

As for my back. It is much better. Only when I over do it physically, in particular a lot of bending, do I have problems. I had gotten away from my fitness routine {something that has been a part of my lifestyle for 37 years} because of my mother's death and having to build the cat enclosure for the feral colony I care for and that contributed to the pain. I have had severe back problems in the past greatly due to the physical nature of the fence construction business I owned {my son now has it in Orlando and doing well}. But a good diet and regular physical exercise pretty much took care of the problem. Any deviation from either and I risk a recurrence. At 65 {I am at 160 lbs} I consider myself fortunate not to have the health problems most my age experience. Pay me now or pay me later. Later has arrived and maintaining a proper routine in diet and exercise is most important more than ever. Proper physical, mental and spiritual health.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks again for your reply. This paragraph elaborating on the phrases/actions element is extremely informative and again I feel closer to understanding your method. I have one more question on my mind about your method. What do you do when you come across a word that is not in the dream dictionary like cable car for example isn't in all dream dictionaries so what would your approach be in such a case?
Also I was wondering about something else in my work with images. Do you find any significance in the difference between suggested images and manifested images for example is their any difference in this dream when working with the image of the cable cart (which is actually a solid visual element in the dream) and lou salome who is merely suggested in conversation and is thus not actually a solid image only a suggested one? Should these images be treated equally or is there another way of approaching these differently?
As for the ongoing dynamic that the dream is hinting at it is the same dynamic the same feeling that is at work in me now as was in university and school. I am still trying to overcome the same problem. Between my dream work and writing my book as well as my other activities and projects I'm engaged in I end up feeling like I'm not doing enough and I feel ineffectual and so frustrate my efforts somewhat. This is a powerful dynamic in my life and I still feel it affecting my work even now. And so this dream has a key ongoing importance.
In further analysis of the dreams I keep finding that different levels make sense for different parts of my life. It is as you say the multiple meanings of the dream coming into play. I am finding the change of Australia dynamic at work within the dream especially with the rooftop to the ladder scene yet the rest of the dream is making a lot of sense in terms of this dynamic. Of course perhaps the same dynamic is at work? Hmm it is complex working with all these different layers.
It is amazing how much work continues to emerge from working with one dream. It is hard to imagine working through all dreams when one can provide so much depth the longer it is worked at!!

Thanks,
Jimmy

PS while I am sorry to hear that your cat is still missing I am sure you are right about her resilience. Cats are strong creatures and I am sure she is probably doing quote well. Still it would be nice to have a safe return. I am also delighted to hear about your back. Sounds like a delicate balance to be maintained in this care for its health but it sounds like you are in touch with what I requires.

Jimmy,
A brief comment {if that is even possible when I 'get on' about a topic related to dreams} to answer your questions and I will provide a more detailed response tomorrow.

As for words {and even actions when in short phrases} I can not put a finger on without suggestions/help I use regular dictionaries to try and ascertain* the exact meaning/application within the actions, and the origins of the word if possible and needed. Often understanding its dictionary 'exact' meaning will provide insights. But I am of the mind that words, just as are archetypes {an original that has been imitated}, have origins related to the natural psyche. So is the dream, the natural psyche's tool to help resolve emotions issues/conflicts {just as the body has the immune system, the psyche has the dream}. In this context it is logical/plausible to believe the meaning/application of a word will always have associations to its origins. The meaning we find in a dictionary will always have several meanings depending on its intent in the dream. Depending on how it is used within an action, a word may be more applicable to its origins than it does the normal definition most people think of it as having. This is where the intuitive mind senses energies from the flow of actions in a dream and 'naturally' begins recognize patterns and the true intended meaning/application of the word {as it has to do with the dreamer and their emotions and fits firmly within that}. The context in which it is used is important because it must fit within the pattern flow but not get away from its meaning in relationship to the dreamer and the dream. As with a puzzle you can not force a piec that doesn't fit into a space that requires a true fit.
*Note: why I use quality dream dictionaries-for good possibilities of their application-the two I use are pretty much Jungian based}.

The question about whether the difference between suggested images and manifested images, I usually don't and usually can't always differentiate between the two since, as in the use of lou salome who is merely suggested in conversation, I know nothing more than what the dream provides and I work with that. There are personal associations to lou salome that only you can know and although I may get clues to what those are from other dream language {friend}, I don't look for the personal but instead look at him as being a male and a friend {anima/animus associations and rejected aspects that can become positive through self discovery in the word friend}. If I knew the actual associations you identify with in lu salome I could name personal experiences in my analysis as well as fit more pieces of the puzzle having that knowledge. I work with what i have and stay with Jung's dictate 'the dream means exactly what it says'. Of course the language of dream is symbol/metaphor, and there are so many twists and possibilities in the words and actions that must be deciphered, it does take experience and a good working knowledge of the basics to get really good at dream analysis. I've been working with dreams since 1992 and have the Dream Forum to 'test' and learn.

Again I will state I have begun to use the basic outlines of Jungian concepts instead of the strict application academics use {goes for others also, Freud, Adler, etc}. I usefd to be more inclined to look at the strict concepts and of course have had good success with that. But the change to basics instead and with a bit different thinking to generalities as being as applicable than though {a house is the dreamer, not it that could be}. This is one aspect of my personal work I find most rewarding because I have developed a successful and what I think as a proven method of analyzing/interpreting dreams, derived from my own experiences in working with dreams. As with sensing the outlines of a dream, using the outlines that have been established as true {science}, I have developed concepts of analyzing dreams that seems to fit with how dreams do function, naturally. It is successful for me and I believe it can be for anyone who studies Jung in depth and has a developed intuitive mind. The proof of my success {as I have stated time and again} is in the posted dreams at the Dream Forum.

I'll provide further comments tomorrow {Monday}.

Jerry [preay]

Jimmy,
Another aspect of interpreting dreams is at a later date {even months later} you may realize other associations and meanings/applications. It is beyond fascinating dreams do have so many levels because they will use the same images to address the different aspects of the emotional energies. When a dream is dissected to its most minute parts you may discover the dream revealing aspects of personality and personal attitudes. Of course the primary goal is to discover the underlying reasons for personal attitudes and traits {almost all dreams are focused on the negative attitudes that need a correction}. Once those are understood you can see why a person thinks and acts as they do. The unconscious energies are motivators to personality and personal attitudes/traits and more often than not the person is totally unaware of them. They go through life guided by energies established early in life, imprinted on the psyche and the topic of dreams until there is a resolution to the energies.

This was my experience. The lack of a father figure {especially in early years} causing me to develop an unconscious attitude to seek and find substitutes for what was not received as a child. This is a common pattern and is often the plot of mythological stories where the son goes on an adventure looking for their father {Luke Skywalker being a better known tale of this type search}. And often that search will reveal the shadow self, the developed pattern where the son has unconscious tendencies to follow the patterns of the father {Darth Vader as Luke's shadow}. It is not just by coincidence Star Wars used the familiar mythological themes, George Lucas pretty used Joseph Campbell's Monomyth to develop the characters in the movie {Lucas was a student of Campbell like myself and much of The Power of Myth was filmed at Lucas' Skywalker ranch}.

And again this was how I lived my life, up until I was 42 and discovered Jungian psyche {via Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth-Note: this link will take you to another page of the interview with Campbell}. Having married and divorced three wonderful women, I possessed an unfulfilled 'inner child' which 'prompted me to look for something outside me that could never fulfill what was needed by the inner self {I say prompt because individual experiences later in life often determine how these unconscious patterns play out}. Once I understood the energies I was able to reconcile why they did hold me hostage and eventually resolve the issues. The story of Luke Skywalker is my story, is a common story, not only in real life but also as archetypal patterns in dreams. Dreams and myth share the same archetypal energies {as well images/actions} and when there is an image of a mysterious 'shaman' or similar figure it usually comes when there is a new realization or major change in the dreamer's life. The dream pattern may even follow the patter of the mythical hero journey since the patterns as well as the personal experiences are shared. Fascinating to say the least, enlightening when realized, understood and applied to the personal life.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks again for the advice and tips with regard to your process. It is clearly an intuitive method you have developed yourself but I think I am slowly starting to get it. I also love this idea of returning to dreams months later and gathering more insights. It is actually exciting By the way what are the two dream dictionaries that you use? I've seen that you use the hyper dictionary but I couldn't find the link to the other one.
Thank you also for sharing more of your story and your journey. I do love the identification of mythology and personal life. It is a great elevation for us and a groudning for myth I feel. And also I like the call for people to follow their bliss which results from this ideal realisation of our identification with the hero's journey. I like and respect that you have found and are living your myth. It is fantastic.
As for what you are saying about the shaman figure I've started working on a dream of mine from a couple of weeks ago involving gandalf the grey from the lord of the rings who seems to be my wise old man. I'll post the dream up now I'd love your help and your insight on it.

Thanks,
Jimmy

stats from 7-14-10 to the present