Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two dreams, keys and cliff

Hi
I have had two dreams, whose meaning seems clear, but I do not know what I should actually do about them.

In the first, I am wandering about a shopping precinct rather bored, when I realise I have lost my handbag with my money, passport etc. I am in a bit of a fog and finally tell myself I need to get looking for my handbag! Suddenly I have an old dusty handbag and inside are two small golden keys tied together, and some old papers. In the dream, I think it is pointless as whatever they opened will be long gone.

I guess the meaning of this is clear. I need to go back in time and find whatever it is that I need to find. Thinking about the handbag gave me the willies a bit, as I think it might have been the handbag given to me by my former mother in law, an absolutely difficult and by turns, a nasty person. That marriage was a real error of judgement on my part. I did my best but I fell apart after feeling I had run a marathon. I do NOT want to go back. Apart from that, I have PTSD with some dissociation and this diagnosis of a few years standing explains everything, why I am a bit flaky and out of it etc except when I retreat into my job, and I have been this way trying to cope for most of my life (difficult childhood). I say this so you can see that going back is not a great option for me.

Anyway, I asked my unconscious to tell me more, to help me a bit, but I dreamed of being on a cliff edge and inescapably going over the edge. I look down and think, well, I am in a dream so I can fly down, so need to kill myself. So I do. It is enjoyable but I know in my heart of hearts that I have only delayed the impasse.

I am not sur that you can help me, but maybe there is a different point of view that is less terrible than thinking about the past.

Thanks!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58/F UK

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Looking up meanings of dream symbols

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes. Cannot remember

Re: Two dreams, keys and cliff

Elizabeth,
Here is my analysis of your two dreams.

First Dream
In the first, I am wandering about a shopping precinct rather bored, when I realize I have lost my handbag with my money, passport etc. I am in a bit of a fog and finally tell myself I need to get looking for my handbag! Suddenly I have an old dusty handbag and inside are two small golden keys tied together, and some old papers. In the dream, I think it is pointless as whatever they opened will be long gone.

Interpretation of images/actions
-wandering about a shopping district bored-indifference to emotional desires and needs
-realize I lost handbag-lack of control of values/self worth
-with my money-self worth/confidence/values
-passport-trying/need to find self/identity
-in a bit of fog-unable to see things as they are/should be
-tell myself need to find handbag-need to find yourself/place in life
-old dusty handbag-past experiences to do with neglect
-inside are two small golden keys tied together-opportunities
inside-within you
two-duality/conflict/two issues
small-feeling insignificant
gold-true abilities/something valuable within yourself
keys-solutions
tied together-positive and negative aspects related
-old papers-early experiences of self expression
-think it pointless-negative issues related to self worth
-what opened long gone-missed opportunities

Summary
Issues related to negative self worth that prevented roper personal growth which led to making wrong decisions in life {missed opportunities}. The solution is a psychological one as well as life experiences {two issues/experiences}. You feel it is useless in seeking a new self/direction in life partly due to the stage of life you are at and partly due to early life foundations {self worth/value system in achieving goals}. You now look back at the missed opportunities and think it is too late to do anything and/or make achievements.

Looking at the rest of the dream and the additional narrative {something I had not done before analyzing the first dream} I can see where my interpretation of the images/actions might fit. The PTSD may have its roots in early life. What the dream is doing is 'going back' and showing you where you made mistakes as well point to why you made them {early life foundations}. The dream is pointing to issues of self worth/confidence.

As for the PTSD. Often issues of early life foundations/formative years are key to PTSD. Although many people suffer from the condition due to traumatic experiences later in life, those who have not had such experiences can look to childhood for answers. Some may be prone for the illness because of childhood and later life experiences stimulate the condition. Your dream does point to the formative years.

Second Dream
Anyway, I asked my unconscious to tell me more, to help me a bit, but I dreamed of being on a cliff edge and inescapably going over the edge. I look down and think, well, I am in a dream so I can fly down, so need to kill myself. So I do. It is enjoyable but I know in my heart of hearts that I have only delayed the impasse.
You asked your unconscious to tell you more and in a way it did. As all dreams do it pointed to your true condition, where you are and how you feel at the time you had the dream. You feel there is no escape, no solution to your problems.

Interpretation of images/action
-on a cliff-how you feel emotionally
-inescapably going over the edge-feeling there is no escape
-look down/so I can fly-feeling of decline/need for a release of negative emotions
-kill myself-drastic changes
-So I do-
-delay the impasse-feeling there is no possible solution

Summary
As for the second dream {parts you provided}. Emotionally you on a cliff and feel there is no escape. There is a need for a 'release' of negative emotions. This would require drastic changes psychologically {and perhaps in your whole waking life}. So I do is unclear but may point to a recent experience where you actually made changes. But what ever it refers to is only a temporary solution.

As point of reference. Dreams seldom predict the future and when they do it is usually because there is a possibility or likelihood what will occur was inevitable. The one dream he quoted where there was a prediction that came true was a male patient who dreamed he was climbing a mountain and had the feeling he must let go and fall. The man had planned a trip to go mountain climbing and with his emotional need for a 'release' of his psychological issues, he did indeed fall to his death while climbing a mountain. Take care you do not find yourself doing the same {on a mountain or any where else}. Being diligent that your psyche is troubled and capable of making terrible choices is important. There is always a solution and as your dream points to it is within yourself, psychologically.

Note: I do request a response to my analysis. My services are free and a response is the least that can be given. A contribution of any amount to my Kitty Fund would be appreciated but not required.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 65 Cocoa, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Dear Jerry

Thank you so much, I think you are spot on and I now have a great deal to think about.

All best and thanks again

Elizabeth

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58/F UK

Elizabeth,
A primary purpose of our dreams is to give thought to them instead of ignoring what they have to 'say'. By doing that you are in touch with your true emotions. Ignoring those will only exacerbate any emotional conflicts/issues. With knowledge of what is in conflict you are more capable of dealing with them and bringing about a resolution. If you come to any conclusions or future dreams you need help with post those and perhaps we will be able to discover more about your true self.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 65 Cocoa, Fl

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Yes

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present