Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amorphous Mushroom Monster

Had a very weird dream the other night and I would love your interpretation.

I was being driven by my father on a long, snowy road, in the wintertime. He stopped the truck and I got out. He was dropping me off, although there was nothing in sight. I started walking and came to a little tourist shop type of place, the smallish kind of hut where trinkets are sold. I got inside and saw that it was the observatory of a mushroom farm. There was a bench, and a counter where mushroom products were sold, and there was a giant window overlooking the mushroom growing area, which was swamp-like. I sat on the bench, looking at the fungi, all very weird, brown, slimy and extraterrestrial looking. The swamp was dark and creepy with low mist. I walked over to the merchandise in the shop and bought a jar of pink fluorescent goo, the type of stuff you see in movies like The Abyss. The clerk said it had either magical or psychedelic properties. I bought the stuff and then went outside to the swamp. I don’t think I was allowed to go out there, but I went nonetheless. There was a platform built for walking over the swamp, similar to a boat dock. I found myself in the company of a friend, although I didn’t know who he was. He was a young man, younger than me, and a genuinely good person, an ideal type of human, who I admired. I don’t know who he was, but I knew him in the dream. He was a sort of generic archetype maybe. I was very interested in this one fungus that I had seen through the window. It was dark brown, and it was like a cluster of mushrooms on a stump, although they all were sort of melted together, connected. I looked like a lump of Jabba the Hut flesh, only dark brown like gravy, and it sort of breathed or pulsed. I put some of the pink goo on it and it immediately grew into a monster about the size of a company van. The monster snatched my friend and dashed to the end of the dock, and turned to face me, it’s back to a worn-out building. It was holding my friend captive. It was like a giant blob, but with many arms and a sort of mask for a face with a beak and large teeth. Thinking about it now, I don’t have a clear picture of it in my mind. Its face reminded me of the image of the coachman turning into the devil in Pinocchio. Its body was dark and perhaps a phantom, part mist, and part matter. Without clear form. But the blobbiness and many arms that would manifest out of the amorphous mass reminded me of a Miyazaki character. I would run toward it with the jar that I bought, now empty, to try to capture a piece of it (a single mushroom?). This somehow would save my friend. But it kept striking at me and I would run past it, dodging its swipes. I finally got a piece of it in the jar and the monster vanished completely, like a genie going back in the bottle. It was because of what was in the jar that made it vanish. A voice told me it was “clove oil.”

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 28 Male USA

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} no

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? great

Re: Amorphous Mushroom Monster

Swirlywirly man,
I am working on your dream and although there seems to be a distinct pattern I need to finish my analysis to determine if there are aspects that are more revealing. As is my usual practice I interpret the individual images and actions to extract the message of the dream. Thus far I have come up with the following. If you would comment on whether there are aspects that fit in your life, that would be helpful. Although what I have analyzed thus far is descriptive of your personal life {if I am correct in my analysis} the dream also points to a current situation that relates to your personality and life. An important aspect of the dream points to the relationship with your father which seems o be lacking and possibly a major cause for current attitudes and personality traits.

Analysis of Images and actions

Dream Title {which often provides insights to the dream message}
-amorphous-unstructured
-mushroom-growth despite going through some hardship and difficult period
-monster-aspects of yourself that you find repulsive and ugly.

I was being driven by my father on a long, snowy road, in the wintertime.
-driven by father-motivated and guided by father/authoritative energies
-long snowy road-issues of power/inhibitions, feeling indifferent, alone and neglected/sense of direction

He stopped the truck and I got out. He was dropping me off, although there was nothing in sight.
-he stopped truck-hindered by overloaded emotional energies
-he was dropping me off-letting go of energies that cause diminished conscious actions
-although nothing in sight-feelings of worthiness

I started walking and came to a little tourist shop type of place, the smallish kind of hut where trinkets are sold.
-started walking and came to tourist shop-your progression in life/insecurities /emotionally and mentally strained
-smallish kind of hut-insignificant guidance of basic necessities and comforts
-where trinkets are sold-feeling depleted/trivial

I got inside and saw that it was the observatory of a mushroom farm.
-I got inside-self introspection
-saw it was the observatory-high goals and aspirations
-of a mushroom farm-need to develop and utilize your potential/limited by negative emotions that are growing and expanding in your subconscious

There was a bench, and a counter where mushroom products were sold, and there was a giant window overlooking the mushroom growing area, which was swamp-like.
-there was a bench and counter-being passive, procrastinate and put things aside/countering what is lacking in your life and looking for a form of fulfillment
-where mushroom products were sold-where your unhealthy pleasures and unwise decisions are formed
-there was a giant window overlooking mushroom growing area-outlook on hopes, possibilities ruled by emotional energies
-which was swamp-like-repressed and dark aspects of yourself/feeling of insecurity

I sat on the bench, looking at the fungi, all very weird, brown, slimy and extraterrestrial looking.
-I sat on the bench-procrastinating
-looking at the fungi-negative emotional energies
-very weird, brown, slimy-haunting inability to place your trust in someone underlying your materialistic character
-extraterrestrial looking-wild imagination of escaping from your daily life

The swamp was dark and creepy with low mist.
-swamp was dark and creepy-foreboding insecurities in your life due to unconscious
-low mist-confusion and uncertainty in your waking life/a need for some clarity in a current situation

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 69 Altoona, Fl

Swirlywirlyman,
Below is my interpretation of the images and actions from your dream. I didn't interpret some of the last sentences since they were repetitive.

The dream points to strong negative emotional energies from childhood that have and continue to affect your life. My sense there is an over indulgence in some aspect that, in your adult life, you are addicted to or indulge in. But those issues come from a lack of proper love and emotional nourishment in your childhood.

Since all dreams address both foundation aspects as well as current emotional experiences, there is likely a current issue or experience that needs resolution. These issues are directly associated with foundation issues which you have repressed or ignored because of the emotional pain. In other words your lack of love and nourishment in early life are central to the issues in your adult life. Because the dream does have strong negative tones I sense there are important issues that need resolution. The current issues can only be resolved by exploring your foundations/childhood and putting those experiences in order or resolving them {simply exploring your childhood issues can be therapeutic}.

A response would be appreciated for the time I have given to analyze the dream.

-amorphous-unstructured
-mushroom-growth despite going through some hardship and difficult period
-monster-aspects of yourself that you find repulsive and ugly.

I was being driven by my father on a long, snowy road, in the wintertime.
-driven by father-motivated and guided by father/authoritative energies
-long snowy road-issues of power/inhibitions, feeling indifferent, alone and neglected/sense of direction

He stopped the truck and I got out. He was dropping me off, although there was nothing in sight.
-he stopped truck-hindered by overloaded emotional energies
-he was dropping me off-letting go of energies that cause diminished conscious actions
-although nothing in sight-feelings of worthiness

I started walking and came to a little tourist shop type of place, the smallish kind of hut where trinkets are sold.
-started walking and came to tourist shop-your progression in life/insecurities /emotionally and mentally strained
-smallish kind of hut-insignificant guidance of basic necessities and comforts
-where trinkets are sold-feeling depleted/trivial

I got inside and saw that it was the observatory of a mushroom farm.
-I got inside-self introspection
-saw it was the observatory-high goals and aspirations
-of a mushroom farm-need to develop and utilize your potential/limited by negative emotions that are growing and expanding in your subconscious

There was a bench, and a counter where mushroom products were sold, and there was a giant window overlooking the mushroom growing area, which was swamp-like.
-there was a bench and counter-being passive, procrastinate and put things aside/countering what is lacking in your life and looking for a form of fulfillment
-where mushroom products were sold-where your unhealthy pleasures and unwise decisions are formed
-there was a giant window overlooking mushroom growing area-outlook on hopes, possibilities ruled by emotional energies
-which was swamp-like-repressed and dark aspects of yourself/feeling of insecurity

I sat on the bench, looking at the fungi, all very weird, brown, slimy and extraterrestrial looking.
-I sat on the bench-procrastinating
-looking at the fungi-negative emotional energies
-very weird, brown, slimy-haunting inability to place your trust in someone underlying your materialistic character
-extraterrestrial looking-wild imagination of escaping from your daily life

-swamp was dark and creepy-foreboding insecurities in your life due to unconscious energies
-low mist-confusion and uncertainty about self/life

I walked over to the merchandise in the shop and bought a jar of pink fluorescent goo, the type of stuff you see in movies like The Abyss.
-walked over to merchandise in the shop-living your material life
-bought a jar of pink fluorescent goo-seeking emotional fulfillment by getting through what was learned in earlier life
-the type of stuff you see in movies like The Abyss-the way to see/live your life full of anxieties

The clerk said it had either magical or psychedelic properties.
-the clerk said-unconscious aspects expanding into consciousness requiring different view of self

I bought the stuff and then went outside to the swamp.

-living your life from life experiences/influences provided in earlier life

I don’t think I was allowed to go out there, but I went nonetheless.
-living with repressed energies

There was a platform built for walking over the swamp, similar to a boat dock
-foundations for your insecurities/emotional issues

I found myself in the company of a friend, although I didn’t know who he was. He was a young man, younger than me, and a genuinely good person, an ideal type of human, who I admired. I don’t know who he was, but I knew him in the dream. He was a sort of generic archetype maybe.
-this is an unconscious example of the other you, the idea person you should/would have been with proper emotional nourishment

I was very interested in this one fungus that I had seen through the window.
-a particular negative emotion stored within the unconscious

It was dark brown, and it was like a cluster of mushrooms on a stump, although they all were sort of melted together, connected.
-collective bad habits/decisions associated with emotional energies

I looked like a lump of Jabba the Hut flesh, only dark brown like gravy, and it sort of breathed or pulsed.
-the reason for negative aspects/over indulgence
---------------------------------------------------
I finally got a piece of it in the jar and the monster vanished completely, like a genie going back in the bottle. It was because of what was in the jar that made it vanish. A voice told me it was “clove oil.”
-temporary relief from negative emotional energies by repressing issues. it is by repressing issues you survive life. the issues are related to love, acceptance and protection

Jerry

Wow, thank you for the very thorough and in-depth analysis, Gerald. I'll look over it and respond after I think about it for a while.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} 12/6/19

Swirlywirlyman,
Please do read the whole analysis and let me know your thoughts. Added info and feedback may provide more clues to the dream message.

Jerry

Thank you for all of the interpretation of this dream, Gerald. Yeah, I'm still really stumped on this one. It's so dark and weird. It's hard for me to point to specific things in my life that the images or actions of the dream represent. I didn't think my father had a huge role in the dream, but now that I'm thinking about it, perhaps this dream could be a picture of my life right now. I'm not satisfied with my job, and I followed in my father's footsteps for a career. That could be the scene of him dropping me off. The mushrooms seem specific enough to perhaps represent something more than just "negative subconscious feelings," but I'm not sure what. I agree with your interpretation of the ideal friend as being my ideal self. He showed up in a different dream this summer, and in the dream, I killed him and wept bitterly because of it. Then a wise old man came and told me to get over it and move on, that it was ok, but I refused to be consoled. I interpreted that dream to mean that it was time to leave certain reckless younger man activities behind me. I had that dream right after a hang-glider crash. I consider the character in this dream that the monster grabs to be the same character I killed in that earlier dream. If that is so, then maybe it was a bad thing that I killed him, rather than a good thing like I previously thought, because it seems like he is important and worth rescuing from the monster. Also, what could the magical/psychedelic pink goo represent? It was very glowy and alluring in the dream, with a strong aura around it. But it ultimately leads to the creation of a monster. Something I am being tempted by perhaps. Also, what is with the clove oil? It was very specific, and the only time I have ever heard of clove oil was in a high school science class, we used it to kill a tank of baby fish. Other than that I have never heard of or seen it, ever. I read somewhere that in a dream if something is told to you by an unseen voice, it must be taken very seriously. An unseen voice told me that what was in the jar, which was different than the pink goo at the time, and what caused the monster to go back in the jar, was clove oil. What could that mean?

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} 12/6/19

Swirlywirlyman,
I appreciate the response and the added info. Every dream is a teaching tool and although experience allows great insights to a dream there are always new possibilities.

Analyzing a dream without personal information limits if not prohibits the ability to provide recent associations to the dream images, symbols and actions. If you can not find connections to your father {there are connections, perhaps not troublesome but if you lived with him as a child there would be influences passed down} then he, in the dream, would likely represent authoritative energies {as I noted}. In that respect current emotional energies could be what the dream is trying to communicate. All dreams have at least two interpretations/applications, one addressing early life influences and experiences {when personality and attitudes where developed} and another addressing more recent emotional energies. One usually trumps the other but both are part of the dream. I do see the possible early life associations that could be the catalyst for the 'reckless younger man activities' since childhood and early life development most likely play a role in those traits. I will look at the dream and the new personal info you have provided and see what associations I can find to the experiences you noted.

Jerry

Swirlywirlyman,
I overlooked the info concerning your career, and following in your father’s footsteps. That is where your father’s influence comes into play, the early life experiences I mentioned as a part of every dream. I have this philosophy on dreams few others follow. All dreams address current emotional situations as well as foundations for the dreamer’s attitudes and personality. The foundations are readily readable in the outlines of a dream but the personal experiences are not. The former affects the latter {common sense tells us this}, the foundations become an intricate and important part of who we become in later life. The emotional energies you possess in this respect are a part of the dream because there is conflict from it. A question that may be helpful is did you want to follow in your father’s footsteps careerwise? Examine the full extent of why you chose to follow your father and see what conflicting emotional energies surrounding that choice during the time you made it.

As for the added info. Your father dropping off would be what I originally offered {but it could also be other possibilities as well since all dreams if not all images/symbols have AT LEAST two applications}. You were motivated and guided by your father’s career choice. If motivated was it pressure from your father or pressure on yourself to do so? Either way it created emotional energies which needs better understanding {one prime purpose of dreams, to help resolve emotional conflicts}.

The mushrooms also could follow my original thinking. The growth from early life and eventual career choice would be difficult now since you do have regrets. Mushrooms can also symbolize unwise decisions in your waking life. That would fit with your career choice. The mushroom is a part of the title which in my ideology provides strong insights to what the dream message is. Thus your assessment of the mushrooms represents ‘negative subconscious feelings’ would be correct.

Note. Looking at the dream and the added personal info I do believe a major focus in the dream is your career choice. The whole dream would fit with this assessment. It would be one application {albeit it important} of emotional energies the dream is addressing.
-swamp was dark and creepy-foreboding insecurities in your life due to unconscious
-low mist-confusion and uncertainty in your waking life/a need for some clarity in a current situation

Other topics you asked about in your response.
The friend, yes he is you {a standard in dreams representing a positive aspect or what should be or have been a positive aspect. The younger man is a younger you. What you admired about him {yourself} would involve personal info, looking back to when you were younger {perhaps before making your career choice?}.
The negative emotions on a career choice would be the one fungus. But it is in a cluster on a stump {something or someone is preventing your growth or forward progress}. Collective bad decisions? That would fit with where you are now as an adult.

The clove oil could represent a desire for love and acceptance of your choices in life. A wish things were running more smoothly in your life {oil}.

The pink fluorescent goo would also fit with career choices. Goo is something that stick on you {like father like son}. It is the merchandise you are living with {emotional energies}. It has created the monster {negative emotional energies} you now live with {career and other applications}. The monster {negative emotional energies} going back into the jar {seeking protection} is temporary relief from negative emotional energies. This is usually caused by repressing certain aspects related to the energies.

The gilder incident you referenced. That would be the result of bad choices yes. But why would you make such bad choices {not that gliding is necessarily in itself a bad choice}. A cluster of fungus/mushrooms? That would be what a dream is attempting to resolve.

As for the unseen voices. That is your unconscious coming through. That occurs during dreams, daydreams and even hallucinations. It speaks only the truth without the ego bias. You should always listen to the unconscious when presented through dreams since it is nature’s tool to help resolve emotional conflict.

Summary
All in all I believe my original analysis is pretty much correct, at least in its outline. If you read my interpretation of the images and actions you will see how well they do fit {using my explanation}. But what concerns me outside career choices is the cluster of mushrooms {bad decisions} and why you make/made them. Choices are often a result of personal traits and personality. I would look back to early life and determine the evolution of your personality and see what may have caused you to have a propensity for your decisions in later life. The dream is addressing where you are in your adult life as well as why. The two applications of all dreams {and often more}. Let me know your thoughts once you have done this. Other aspects of negative energies could be revealed. As the dream stated, ‘I got inside and saw that it was the observatory of a mushroom farm’. Going inward psychologically will reveal the true you and your true life from beginning to the present.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present