Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Letters On My Plate

I had a bewildering dream this morning and would be most appreciative of any insight that might bring some clarity to the message.

At a restaurant with my family - parents, both daughters, son-in-law, and ex-husband. We were celebrating my Dad's birthday (which in real life is next week). Following dinner, we parted and I began walking to the garage where I had parked my car earlier - on the second floor. My ex asked if I would mind giving him a ride home - I agreed, albeit somewhat reluctantly. We got in the elevator of the parking garage and he pushed the button for 3rd floor - even though I told him my car was on the 2nd. When the elevator door opened, there was a small, round dining table set up. My ex motioned for me to sit down. I suddenly felt very tired, with no will or energy to be anything but compliant. There were white plates with black letters embossed on them - possibly Japanese symbols. The waiter poured a thick syrup on the plates, which caused the black letters to loosen and rise. With extreme difficulty, I ate the syrup and the letters...I could barely swallow.

I don't know that I've had a dream recently that has had such an effect on me, or evoked such emotion. Definitely a feeling that some "unfinished business" has risen to the surface.

Deedee

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Northwest US

Re: Letters On My Plate

Deedee,

Here is my interpretation.

Your whole self is prepared for new knowledge. There is recognition of the re-birth of a higher masculine aspect. Upon learning this new knowledge about yourself you want to put in it an unconscious place where it resided previously. But it has risen up to the subconscious level. This aspect wishes to be consciously acknowledged. But you resist. When you finally open up to it there is the realization that this completes some unknown quality about yourself. This masculine identity takes control. You have no will to fight it. There is truth within the unconscious that comes to light of consciousness. You reluctantly abide by your unconscious wish. You can barely swallow what you have learned.

There seems be some unresolve issues dealing with the masculine aspect. It could have to do with your father or some other masculine figure you think of as a 'higher authority'. Apparently this has been repressed in your unconscious and now wishes to be acknowledged. Exactly what masculine qualities it is trying to present is unclear. Let me know what you think are the possibilities and we can explore further.
Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 54

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Murfreesboro, Tn

Hi Deedee,
Recently I have had some dreams that communicate an event or object that I have been involved with (I have discovered that some dreams use the most recent experience as a means to communicate a symbol, which is why some people think that dreams are just sifting and filing through what happened in the last couple of days). It has helped me to reflect on what I was thinking feeling or doing in relation to the object or situation. For instance what do you really think about your Dad's birthday. Do you have to do something? What do you have to do and why are you doing it? What are your real feelings about it? These aren't questions I am asking you - these are questions you have to ask yourself. Hope this helps. Stephen.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Sydney Australia

Thanks, Stephen - you bring up some very valid points, as well as some questions I feel I'll definitely need to consider.

Most interesting aspect of this particular dream was the emotion it generated...almost screams 'take note'.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Deedee

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Gerard,
I believe you're definitely on the right track - I spent considerable time thinking about the masculine aspect (even though I probably would have rather opted for a root canal!)and why it is that my typical dream responses to this aspect are suspicion, mistrust and fear. There are three major/fairly frequent masculine representations in my dreams; my father, my ex-husband, and the wolf; each generating an intense emotion.

* In this last dream, I was seated a considerable distance away from my Dad during his birthday dinner/celebration - which I feel may be rather significant.

Though I love him dearly, he was a very distant figure in my childhood...stoic and vaguely disapproving - quite unapproachable. We were always expected to spend Sunday afternoons with his family, which would have been enjoyable had it not been for an uncle that took every opportunity to touch me inappropriately. I was 13 years old and very shy. I finally gathered the courage to tell my parents...and was disillusioned when the weekly visits continued per usual and my fears unattended to. This went on for three years - until the uncle died unexpectedly of a heart attack. I never shed a tear at his funeral. But, I believe a seed of mistrust took root in my heart - possibly toward my Dad whom I expected to protect me? Interesting, I had never associated the mistrust factor with my Dad and this particular life experience until now.

* In the dream, my ex-husband is again assuming a very controlling role. I feel strong resistance - especially at being forced to eat something unpalatable and against my will.

In real life, he's a good man. We parted amicably, but after 28 years it was/is extremely painful - a tremendous sense of loss. He was also immensely controlling. His words were the last. And, I fought often with having to "swallow" something that was contrary to my own personal belief system. In the end, I was tired of the struggle and just nodded in false agreement. I came to view everything he claimed to be with suspicion.

* Even though I didn't see the wolf in the dream, I was sure he was nearby.

The wolf represents a powerful and fearsome figure to me - and there are times in my dreams that I feel he is attempting to intimidate me for the purpose of gaining complete control. This is the suspicion factor in play...because thus far his actions have proved otherwise. I want (perhaps even need) to trust him.

Let me know your thoughts - particularly if you feel I'm overlooking some deeper meaning to the dream. Perhaps my reply will help to put some of the pieces together - you've stated that it can be beneficial if you have a clearer understanding of the dreamer/dreamer's life experiences. However, I've noted that you manage to interpret quite well without any foreknowledge.

Deedee

Stephen's reply also contained some thought-provoking questions.

Re: Re: Letters On My Plate

ive read what people have said about this dream and collectivley the core of the dream has been touched,it seems to me that ,your relationships with the males in your life have effectivly drained you of belief and trust in your own inner male which is needed for balance, ,and this is reflected, as you stated yourself, in the suspicious factor with the wolf.the fact you mention the wolf as seperate from your father and ex husband suggests to me that the wolf ,does represent that inner masculine energy that you need,(unless you know of someone else)it just needs to be domesticated,ie accepted,
you remind me of a butterfly struggling to break free of its casing,keep going you will out.steve
steve.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? england

stats from 7-14-10 to the present