Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
island escape.

hi all,
i find it amazing the influence that reading others posts can have on ones own dream content.
i read with interest ,stephenG's active imagination trip to the island.
the dream i had that night was as follows,
i want to leave a small rain soaked scottish island,
i ask an older female,who's surname was pickup, if she knows of a pilot,who can fly me to the mainland.
she gives me a telephone number to ring,
telling me that he has a personal light aircraft,but i will have to wait until after the funeral. i did not know who's funeral it was,but the whole community as small as it was,had turned up.

i would welcome any thoughts.
regards, steve the drenched hermit!

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49 england

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

Re: island escape.

Hi Steve,
Yes, the themes on dreams does have a profound effect on the psyche of other people. That is why it is so important to read traditional fairy tales to children. It sets them up for tasks they may need to do during their lives.

The aspect that jumped out at me were the two words - pickup and telephone. It is sort of like when you call someone on the phone and the answering machine kicks in then you say, 'Are you there - pickup if you are there'. Does this remind you of anything recently - like you were being ignored. If not, then it could be the announcement of an incoming message from the unconscious, but then this wouldn't fit within the construct of a compensation.

Do you have any personal associations with Scotland? It could be as simple as thinking that Scotland is a misty, wet place and that is why the place popped up.

The dream dictionary has islands being the ego, because they are surrounded by water, but then it seems to tie in more with the rain (tears, emotions) and funeral. The community has a 'sense of duty' or 'obligation' to attend the funeral.

I would start invistigating these aspects of your self and see what comes up. The dream could be telling you why you felt obliged to do something for someone, recently. You know, do you go to a funeral because you have to, or because they were a good friend of yours. If you have tried to interpret the dream but came up with no answers then the dream seems to be telling you something about yourself you are not consciously aware of. Thanks for reading my recent AI post. Stephen G

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 46

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Sydney Australia

Re: Re: island escape.

hi stephenG.
thanks for your thoughts,social obligations came to mind,doing what i am required to do.
the telephone answering machine struck a chord though.especially,sorry i am not available to take your call,please leave a message and i will get back to you.i had a little ah ha moment.
i have been practicing dream incubation,a bit like prayer i suppose ,ask for answers/guidance from the unconscious,and wait for a response.
i recently read about the asklepion on the greek island of kos,and the morpheus response ritual.
initiates were,bathed,purified,fasted,and then given medicines to invoke a mini death,going down into the underworld and returning with morpheuses response,sounds like a shamanic journey to me.
i feel there is an element of this in my dream.
i ask for assistance(do you know a pilot,a way out)the response being in symbolic form,i am not available at the moment,please leave your message,and i will get back to you ,(pilot at the funeral,otherwise engaged).
this fits quite well with the theory of dream incubation,and echo's what you have said.brilliant!
thanks for your help.regards steve

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49-england

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your response. I am glad that it has meant something for you. Now what is the lesson about yourself (ego). Probably to learn patience. The world does not revolve around your ego. The communication is trying to put your ego in its place. The more important things are the community obligations.

I find that Active Imagination works with my consciousness better when I am really in trouble with understanding something in a dream, or I am trying to get help for someone other than "I".

Ask yourself, was the dream incubation question really about the Self, or was it for the ego.

It is so important to always go down. Down steps, down a cave, down a ramp, down to a dark and forbidding place. A place where you fear for your life. I can't tell you how many times in real life (during the hero's journey - aptly named)I have woken up in the middle of the night and really felt as if I would not survive to see the sun rise. It's all about the ego having to loose a bit of its strangle hold, so that the real you has a chance to bust through. Cheers, Stephen G.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

hi stephenG,my dream incubation has centered,on the initiation dream i had recently.
i have not got stuck with the mystical experience,but i am seeking clarification on the shaman/holyman figure who was at the centre world tree,i am aware of the symbololic implications of this archetypal figure.
i am working on what was said and its implications,as they go against what the ego self requires,which stands out very well in the island dream i think.
the lesson for me is as you say,patience,and surrender to life,with the knowledge that things will happen in there own time,and way.
as my daughter reminded me today,patience is a virtue,virtue is a grace,put them both together,and you get a happy face.
regards steve

Hi Steve,
Out of the mouth of babes........

Thanks for sharing your associations. You may want to ask yourself - Why am I in such a hurry to learn everything about the sharman? It may not seem like it to you, but then why did you have the dream about patience?

I suppose it is like a true relationship. You learn bits and pieces of the other person along the way and that provides a stronger bond. The ego has to be able to adapt. Slow and steady. Remember it is not the destination, but the journey that provides the greatest meaning. Cheers, Stephen G.

hi stephenG.many thanks again for your constructive comments.
i have looked at my restlessness,and my need for patience,which i accept as part of my nature,i am aware of the tick tick tick of time.
i tried an active immagination journey,i step out into a forest covered with snow,i feel the snow crunch beneath my feet,i notice a robed priest sat on a rock,i approach,he holds out his hand as if he wants me to give him something,i hand him a letter containing an ancient prophesy,he throws it over his shoulder without reading it ,saying mmm!it will be nice when that happens.

well,that about answers it for me.
i love zen humour!
regards steve.

Hi Steve,

Brilliant!!!

That certainly put your dream ego in it's place. Hope you told him you were grateful for his input. It may feel like the college fraternity initiation - Thank you sir, may I have another, or "BOHICA" (Bend over, here it comes again).

It took me a while to get use to AI personifications who didn't think I was as important as I thought I was. Cheers, Stephen G.

Something that Stephen said which caught my attention..."it's all about the ego having to lose a bit of its strange hold, so that the real you has a chance to burst through." There are times when that "strange hold" feels more like a "death grip"...like something that is nearly siphoning the life out of you. I believe there may very well be more struggles associated with the ego than just about any other, while on our way to higher spiritual levels. Is it possible, Steve that the funeral you were to attend was for your 'ego'? That which is keeping you at ground level, per say? All the while, there is the imminent promise of an air-lift to a higher level once you attend to business at hand (the funeral).

Just a thought...

Deedee

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

stats from 7-14-10 to the present