Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
snake dreams

I have been writing my dreams down for a few years and I have only dicovered this forum,perhaps someone can help explain last night dream.
I dreamt I was in maybe a basement ? and I was with 2 brown snakes,they appeared to be friendly with me,for some reason I whipped the snakes against a pole which they coiled themselves around, then someone? said be careful,then I ran along with one snake beside me,he then swallowed a part of the other snake,which was chopped in three but sort of stuck together,then the unharmed snake was confronted by a large headed huge fanged white snake,I thought the big white snake would kill the smaller friendly snake bit it bit the white snakes head off,then I picked up the head and started to break off the huge white chalky fangs from the white snakes head ???? Any thought anyone,this is not the first snake dream I have had.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 australia

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

Re: snake dreams

Shilo,
Your dream is full of snakes. The symbolic possibilities of snakes are many but when one devours another it often represents transformation {Eastern mythology}. Your basement is your unconscious self, aspects that are stored within your unconscious that you may not be aware of, possibly repressed aspects.
Two well known snake myths involve the coiled snake and the snake swallowing its tail. This may provide clues to your dream presentirepresenting a true transformation process that is coming about in your waking life, or should come about.

In western philosophies snakes represent those things we fear, or evil. The collective unconscious would utilize the Eastern concept of the snake as being a positive aspect, yet the unconscious mind can use the negative western ideology as a concept consistent with a 'need for transformation'.

Snakes are also symbolic for healing and rejuvination. The head is where our fears and desires begin. Confronting the repressed, ignored or forgotten aspects will bring about a healing, and a transformation.

Those hidden aspects can remain underneath the conscious concern for a lifetime but are often unconsciously confronted at mid-life. That brings me to the mid-life issues you may be having to confront. The mid fourties are years of serious introspection, either consciously or through the unconscious process {as in your dream}.

As to what the snakes symboize in your dream on a personal level can only be understood by you. Consult the 3 dream dictionaries to see if there is anything that clicks from those possibilities.
What changes are taking place in your life? The transformations of the snake patterns are something that would probably be considered major. Are there any major changes in your life, or should there be?

One more aspect that should considered from a snake dream and that is the sexual aspect, the Freudian factor. These are probably offered in one or more of the dream dictionaries. You will probably know in quick fashion if this possibility fits your life.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Re: snake dreams

Thankyou Gerard,In the dream one of the original two snakes did swallow the other snakes tail,it sounds strange but I wanted to stop it but felt helpless...hmmm. I am going through some sorting out,trying to understand why a friend let me down etc..( everybody has a story ..lol ) and have been reading a lot of Shadow stuff,and believe it or not the only way I can curb the anger is to admit..as hard as it is,that he is my shadow,and the whole thing is Karma,by having this beleif it is helping me,yes, I am a fan of Jung,though an absolute novice at understanding the sub concious and some of his articles, that was how I came to this site originally.I thankyou for your comments and I think I may be a regular on here,it is pretty hard to find anybody out there,or here !that can give you some feedback,I am trying to look for the lesson not the emotion in life !

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44, Melbourne

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Re: Re: Re: snake dreams

Shilo,
It is interesting that your dream does show a snake devouring its own tail. This is the universal symbology associated with Ouroboros, the mythological Alchemy, Gnosticism and Hermeticism. It symbolises the cyclic Nature of the Universe, constantly creating itself forming a circle {which symbolizes wholeness}. For more on Ouroboros go here.

The snakes in your dream could represent the anger you have commented on in your response. The anger would be the contineous cycle that is consuming you over the actions of this friend who let you down Your assumption that this may be a shadow figure has a lot of merit since we often project inner anger onto others. The friend in metaphorical terms would be an aspect of your own psyche, a trait or pattern of behavioral emotions. The message of the dream may be that you need to overcome this anger. It also suggests you need to determine your shadow and what aspects of your inner life it is trying to address.

Perhaps other dreams will be more specific. If you have a dream you feel is important and related to this snake aspect, post it and perhaps we can get a better perspective.
Gerard

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Re: Re: Re: snake dreams

thanks Gerard,yes,I think it all has to do with the anger which I do not seem to be able to handle,as in,I am not the sort of person to say what I think and suppress whatever emotion is happening,I find it hard to laugh or cry for that matter,but I would tell you that i am an easy going person...shadow would say different !!
The part in that dream that is interesting is,that there were two snakes who appeared to be my friends,and the other large white one with the huge fangs was destroyed by one of the freindlier ones ? the last dream I had about a snake was a year ago to the month..birthday time ?..it wrapped itself around my neck and was trying to choke me,I raised my arm and it bit me on the left shoulder which seemed to ache the next day ??...on reflection this was a short time after the fallout with my friend !!!tooshay I suppose,as usual,I am my worst enemy!Appreciate your replies,hope I have not prattled on too much.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male, Australia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: snake dreams

hi,
something that came to me on reading your post,in ref to your fall out with the friend ,
the snake,the fangs,reminded me of the vampire,someone/thing that sucks the life out of you,drains your energy,in your dream you removed its ability to do this,which would instigate the healing process,your dream of a year ago,could reflect the same theme,
steve

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 49 england

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} m

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: snake dreams

Shilo,
Snake bites can symbolize self inflicted wounds. The shoulder often respresents responsibilities we carry. The snake biting your shoulder could very well represent the fallout with your friend and your feeling resposnble to some degree for the fallout.

As for the two friendly snakes and the large white snake. Snakes are symbolized as both positive and negative {which is readily seen in how the Eastern philosophies see the snake as positive and Western philosophies and religions depict the snake as evil, a negative}. Your snake symbol can even symbolize both positive {white} and negative {snake with fangs}. The white snake could very well symbolize the true intentions of your emotions, but the fangs of anger would negate those positive aspects. The friendly snake, the reflection and regret about the anger, would represent the positive self after reflection. You look upon the incident {fallout with friend} with regret. The friend is not only the person in your waking life but also represents your own inner self, the positive friend.

The snake symbology in your dream is representing your emotions, both negative and positive. The intent of the dream is to show your true feelings about different aspects in your life. Whereas in your waking life there may be confusion about a certain aspect, the dream presents the facts as they are, without the controlled bias of the ego self.

I gather from yuour statements that there is regret over the fallout with your friend. Your inner self also regrets the flow of negative emotions, this being the inner friend. Being ones' own worst enemy is the sanke biting its tail, and it can be enternal if you do not confront the underlying issues that provokes teh anger and negativity in your life. A snake wrapped around your neck could very well represent vocalization of the inner emotions, a need to realize the true feelings, and/or a need to withhold the anger, not vocalize your feelings in a moment of anger.

Dream symbology can be very strange instruments of the psyche. That is why is important to realize there is no fixed meaning to any symbol. The snake is both psoitive and negative in your dreams. What the snakes represent are your true inner emotions.

Gerard

stats from 7-14-10 to the present