Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recurring Themes of Wars and Quests in my dreams

HI
For the past few months i have had 2 recurring themes in my dreams and have had a hard time trying to make sense of them. I was wondering if it means anything to anyone here and they an help me understand them.

Dreams Themee one
I keep seeing the arthurian excalibur and been drawn to it over and over again and, then heading out to war armed with the sword... I see battles and ultimately my own death in the final battle

Dream theme two
This is an ancient battle sceane from India where I keep seeing the image of Bheesma (he was Arjuna's grand sire - arjun was the chief hero of the epic battle Mahabharat of which/from which the Bhagavad Gita Arises) .... in this iamge i keep seeing Bheesma and it seems he is saying something but i dont seem to hear it .. and again it is the battle sceane... this time the Kurukshetra (where the final battle for Dharma was fought in India) and all i see again is blood and battle everywhere...

Strange as it seems I am at peace with the war, given how much i have protested wars this was rather a radical expeirnce of me being at absolute peace with a FINAL BATTLE...

For the last 2-3 weeks, these image/dreams seem to pursue me like my own shadow... i dont even know how or where to start to understand them...

can anybody help me understand???/

thanks in advance

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 30, San Francisco

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Re: Recurring Themes of Wars and Quests in my dreams

MFB,
Wonderful dreams. One of my most favorite myths is of King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable. It offers so many metaphors as to the true waking life of the spiritual search {the Holly Grail} as well as the difficult tasks of overcoming those dragons {the job you dislike, the demands soceity puts on you, the difficult circumstances you have too overcome daily, etc,}in the waking life. These myths pronounce the need for the death and resurrection within, a death to dependency on the ego-centered self and a resurrection to the true self which when relaized opens one up to the spiritual/creative Self.

When the Knight enters the forest he takes a path that no one has ever taken before. This is metaphor for the individual path

The second dream focuses on other mythological themes, having to do with the East {you have undoubtly studied the myths and are probably on that spiritual search}. These battles in your dreams have to do with the inner self as much as they do with the outer life. When searching for that true self which has an aspect of spirituality, such battles are to be expected, even in our dreams. Of course they are metaphorical of the search and the dragons in life. You often have to shed a lot of blood {energy} in this quest for the true Self.

You are at ease with these battles. This tells me that you are indeed traveling the hero path and accepting it, what life throws at you. The FINAL BATTLE comes when you realize that it is the journey that is most important and not the final distination.

These dreams are addressing your inner search. Joseph Campbell was the master of myth and when it comes to guidance to the journey there is not a better source.

The Four Functions of MYTH....Joseph Campbell
1 The first is the mystical function...realizing what a wonder the universe is, and what a wonder you are, and experiencing awe before this mystery...

2 The second is a cosmological dimension, the dimension with which science is concerned--showing you what the shape of the universe is, but showing it in such a way that the mystery again comes through...

3 The third function is the sociological one--supporting and validating a certain social order. And here's where the myths vary enormously from place to place...It is this sociological function of myth that has taken over in our world--and it is out of date...

4 But there is a fourth function of myth, and this is the one that I think everyone must try today to relate to--and that is the pedagogical function, of how to live a human lifetime under any circumstances. Myths can teach you that.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Dear Gerard
Thank you for taking the time to respond to this email posting. A lot of what you ahve siad makes total sense and I am truly on a major cross road of my life, where I have quit a old job that paid VERY WELL and am searching for bringing forth that which I dont know yet....
In the meantime, its a difficult and scary journey to leave everything I know and move into the unknown. I have been here in the USA/SF for about a decade now and this is where i got my higher education and ALL my paychecks. Now it seems like I am getting ready to go back EAST to India and yet am not certain how and why...
The ARthurian legends and grail elgends hold a lot of significance for me and as such I do realize that it has some teachings for me. And the MahaBharat is a LOT LOT closer to my heart....and thats the puzzle I am on my quest to solve.
I do not know what I am seeing to bring forth .. though I know it has to do with 2 recurring themes FREEDOM and SPIRITUALITY... I know this becuase whenever i see this mythic/heroic struggles something deep within my psyche calls/comes forth and tears just flow without me being able to stop them.
Like I mentioned before of late I have become very peaceful with the final battle.. and you hit the nail on the head with the blood = to energy.
The strangest thing is I keep getting this message my my psyche that thats the price i have to be willing to pay to bring my dreams to the forefront.. the price in terms of my life.. and I am very very fine with it..however that has started imbalncing a lot of people around me...
Thanks for the reference of JC (Joseph Campbell) I had studied him a while ago and you pointed me to the right direction again. For this I express my thanks and gratitude.
I will welcome any other perspectives anyone else or you have fpr me
be well

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: sf

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} male

MFB,
Thanks for the response. I sensed there was spiritual message in your dream. The Arthuran Romances are a wonderful guide for anyone exploring their spiritual side. Buddhism is also a great philsophy that provides insights to the soul. Unlike our Western religions Buddhism focuses on discipline and inner knowledge. There is no sin and punishment, except
for that which we bring upon ourselves.

Campbell is my spiritual mentor. I first discovered him on PBS in the Power of Myth back in 1993. My life was changed that day, and I knew it. But the journey has been long and often difficult. But so much less so if I had not broken the chains of social duty and found my creative self. That is how Myths-Dreams-Symbols came about in 1998. It hs been an adventure in discovery ever since.

Campbell taught us to follow your bliss. We have two chances to do so. The first comes early in life, in our teens/early twenties. The second chance comes at mid-life. At age 55 I have discovered so much. And i look back at what I thought I knew and realize it was so little. If you stay the course, find that thing in life you really enjoy and go for it, then life begins to have real meaning. Take that path into the deep forest that no one has ever taken and you will find your true bliss. Good luck in your journey.

if you follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. You begin to meet people who are in the field of your bliss, and they open the doors to you."
....Joseph Campbell

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 55 Murfreesboro, Tn.

stats from 7-14-10 to the present