Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mother repeatedly raped

I'm visiting my Mom at my parent's house. She is telling me the house is unsafe, that she keeps getting raped and has to climb up to the second floor. She is a younger version than her real self. I knew before she told me, that she was having troubles. I felt sad for her and horrified. But I realized she was OK, fiesty. My husband told me they were coming in through the windows. I realized there were too many windows, all accessible to intruders- and I wanted to board them up and get a sky light window instead. I'm not sure but I think my husband told me I couldn't board up the windows, for some reason. Somehow, the sky light in the ceiling didn't feel safe or feasible either. My husband and I were estranged, eating and sleeping seperately after that, and other people were in living in our bedroom, a sister and a mother, I think they were his family and not mine.

I am wondering how this dream fits in with my other dreams of cheating, abandonment, artificialness.

After I had the dream I kept thinking, my psyche (as represented by the house) is in danger, and that my creative aspect (as represented by my mother) are being victimized. I kept asking myself, 'what external forces are violating my creativity', after I woke up. Right before I fell asleep and had that dream I was revisiting the Bluebeard myth and wondering if I was doing something to contribute to the difficulties I'm having. After having this dream, I get the sense that maybe Bluebeard doesn't apply and this has something to do with 'external forces' (as symbolized by rapists breaking into the windows) who are intruding into my psyche and violating my creativity and life. It was my husband, the 'masculine' aspect who told me it was an external force. I wonder what in my immediate environment is impacting me this way? Also, I wonder if it means unconscious material is trying to push its way into my consciousness, as symbolized by windows and by my mother seeking refugee on the second floor, 'a higher state of consciousness'. This symbology is very abstract for me and I'm wondering you anyone has an concrete ideas that I can apply. I'm having so many nightmares and unhappy dreams even though I don't feel particularly unhappy about my life, which is rather strange in itself too. Also, the second half of the dream, being estranged from my husband and having other people take over our bedroom, might that have something to do with my losing my creativity? For me, the first association I had with the mother symbol was creativity, then nurturing, perhaps there are other meanings as well. Any insights are so welcome!!!

Thanks so much,
May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Re: Mother repeatedly raped

Hi,

I meant to put an explanation mark and NOT a thumbs up sign next to my post. Sorry about that, I couldn't figure out where to click next to the Icon. I did not mean for a thumbs up sign.

Thanks,
May

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

Hi, that was supposed to be an exclamation mark!!!

Hi,

I meant to put an exclamation mark and NOT a thumbs up sign next to my post. Sorry about that, I couldn't figure out where to click next to the Icon. I did not mean for a thumbs up sign.

Thanks,
May

Hi May,

I am going out on a limb in this interpretation; as the dreams keep recurring there is something that is needing to be learnt - and so all possibilities need to be considered + disgarded as needed.
If it is right off the mark then please disregard it, or take what fits and disgard the rest; it must fit for you. I have tried to offer an interpretation that comes from the dream, to the best of my abilities - any shortfall or offence is due to my limited knowledge and ability.

I wrote the interpretation 'cold'; without reading it right through and have not amended it as I would usually do to give an overall meaning. I thought this might be more useful to you in its 'raw' form (more clues perhaps).

Location: at my parents house (the real house)- Visiting (left there now)
'She' is being raped ?psychologically ? Physically ,,,, who ???
If your dream was actually in your parents house it raises the question of something very unsavory happening in the past. To whom ? The only way to 'escape' this was to move to 'a higher plane of existance'; this could also mean to move above it.

The grief you felt when 'she' told you , may give you a clue to how you really feel about what is happening / or did happen.

I think your husband in the dream is likely your other half, the masculine aspect of you (aninus). Perhaps 'boarding up the windows' was your response to whatever happened - keeps the 'intruder' / intruders out,,,, but also keep out the light (life). The skylight - reference to hope, a higher power.

Most people are 'estranged' from their animus / anima until well into their adult years, and certainly if something is in the past of a sexual nature then this could naturally leave a residue between you and your masculine / husband.

Having now read your thoughts - I would like to add:
- you are obviously getting versed in Jungs ideas of the psyche; and so you are 'arming yourself' with the tools necessary to go deeper. As this happens it is likely that your dreams may become more complex and symbolic
- It fits that whatever it is; you view it as external to you. The issue is to work out what it is >>>> there is the work
- the location of the dream was important - was it really your parents house, or did it resemble your parents house
- the fact that the unpleasant dreams are recurring means that there is something trying to push its way through ,,, discovering it is important to your overall health
I think that 'your crativity' might have taken a holiday to let you work on this stuff.

I think there is a real clue in the Bluebeard theme - I read someting about this recently - if I find it I shall post it.

Once again, I offer this interpretation to open possibilities and not dictate or judge. It must fit for you.
I would apprecite your thoughts

JC

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: Brisbane Australia 47

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Hi Justin,

I appreciate your taking the time to reflect on and share your thoughts about my dream.

One of the reasons I thought that the house in the dream was my parent's house, is because a woman who was supposed to represent (a younger version of) my mother lived there. In no other way did the house resemble my parents house, but something in the dream gave me the automatic impression that it was representing my parent's house.

The 'She' that is being raped repeatedly in the dream was a younger version of my mother.

Boarding up windows, to keep out the light, sounds a lot like depression, and with it, denial, as well as narrow-mindedness and being closed off to new ideas out of fear. Also, I can see how the skylight represents trancendence and how the husband in the dream could be my animus, or one aspect of my 'masculine' aspect.

I thought alot about my childhood in respect to this dream. I felt that my parents favored my other siblings, especially sister, over me. In addition to that, my parents were very critical of me when I was a child. (The Ugly Duckling Motif would apply here.)

If there is something in my unconscious trying to make itself known, it needs to try harder because at this point I haven't got a clue what is going on. I do feel my creativity is at stake. Interestingly, the husband in the dream was critical of my proposed solutions to dealing with the intruders, critical of both boarding up the windows and building a skylight, yet he also offered absolutely no alternatives. He wasn't very helpful at all except in pointing out where the intruders were coming in from, from the window. This is what made me think initially that what they represent is something external to me and that the Bluebeard motif might not apply. However, I can't rule out any possibilities at this point. (In the dream, I also wasn't very helpful either, and the younger version of my mother went upstairs after she finished talking to us, as she did when the intruders broke into the house, but clearly that wasn't helpful either, so if my dream is telling me transcendence or trying to move past something superficially without dealing with it ((Whatever it is??????)) isn't helpful either, then I got part of the dream's message.)

On another level of interpretation, though, every aspect of a dream is supposed to represent the dreamer, so it follows, the younger version of my mother represents part of me, I thought it was my creativity, the windows represent another part, the skylight also as well as the husband, and finally the intruders. When viewed in that light, the intruders are then a part of my psyche as well and that would lead me right back to the Bluebeard motiff.

I'll keep paying attention to my dreams to see what other insights I may gain.

Thank you again,
May

Hi Justin,

Just to add, about the theme of being estranged from the masculine and from my husband in my dreams, that this has indeed been a recurring dream theme and I appreciate your insights into why that may be occuring.

I'll definitely keep paying attention to my dreams in order to gain more insight.

Thanks again,
May

Hi Justin,

I just remembered also that I had another dream that is similiar to this one, but a while ago, I actually did post it to the forum, but I posted it with a few other dreams at the same time and I think it was hard for people to reply to it, so I will post it again under the title of 'bluebeard.' It seems to have simiar elements to this one and may help me better understand what is going on with my dreams.

Thanks,
May

another take on this

Hi May,

Thank you for you replies, and tolerance.

There another take on these dreams, with more universal themes; yet in the manner of dreams there is likely a personal 'take' as well.

I would urge you to read some of Marion Woodman's works and / or interviews (Google her + Taming Patriarchy).

There in lies the clue - the imbalance of masculine and feminine. More accurately the imbalance of masculine and feminine resulting in what we see in society today. As society is a mirror for the individuals that comprise it ,,, this imbalance speaks to the core of many of the global, societal and individual troubles that we read about in the newspapers.

Patriarhy is an aberation of the masculine - it is about power, domination and control over others - hence the rape ,,,, rape of the mother in particular ,,,

I shall let you dwell on what I have said again, and see if it relates to the prior dreams. This could be the common thread.

I am interested in your thoughts and would like to hear how this feels for you

Justin

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} M

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your reply. I can see how patriarchy definitely has a role to play in my dream themes. I did glance at Marion Woodman's interview about taming patriarchy. I can definitely see that issues related to patriarchy are playing a huge role in my life and thus, my dreams. I will return to the website and read it more carefully soon.

I also don't want to rule out any possibilities for what my dreams are trying to tell me. I think you have excellent ideas and perhaps you are having insights into my dreams that I'm not seeing, which is probably why my unconscious maybe giving me the same types of dreams.

I wondered also about another meaning for estrangement from my husband: yesterday I asked him what he was like as a kid. He told me he didn't start speaking until he was eight years old, that he wasn't very imaginative and that he spent a lot of time sitting alone in silence and that he had a temper. I had instantly a memory of the movie Rainman, where Dustin Hoffman plays an Autistic person, and so I looked up the symptoms on line and of course they correspond to how my husband described himself. Also, another aspect is not being very communication or making eye contact often. (Which sometimes happens with my husband.) Could this also be a reason for dreaming of estrangement?

Another aspect of estrangement that came to mind, was that in many of my dreams, the estrangement is symbolized by my not being able to get a hold of my husband by phone, and phones....communication....throat chakra....thyroid...so I wonder if health issues may be a factor too? This is a bit abstract.

I'm still getting a grasp of Jungian psychology.

I did have a dream yesterday that seems to follow your interpretations that you offered originally for this dream. I will post it in the forum, it's 'Three universities.', the title I will give it.

Thank you so much and best regards,
May

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Re: Mother repeatedly raped

Hi May,

I shall look at the other dreams when I get a chance.
In relation to your reply - I think you are on track when you picked up about the 'communication issues' ,,, trying to get in contact ,,, (not so sure about the health issues).
It all seems to lead towards the masculine trying to be heard - on this level I think it relates more to your inward journey.

In relation to your husband - it is said we marry 'our equal' or the one who can both open our wounds and heal them ,,,, it's a journey of discovery

JC

Re: Re: Re: Mother repeatedly raped

Hi Justin,

Thank you so much for your post. I greatly appreciate your insights.

It makes a lot of sense to me that my communication with my masculine aspect is troubled. In previous posts you alluded to things that could cause someone to become estranged from their masculine side. Can you elaborate more on that? I think it would help me greatly. I am also wondering about ways in which a person can actively and consciously bring balance and integration to their masculine and feminine energies. I am wondering what I can do to help my animus help me better, because I really do feel like 'he' needs my help and that I'm missing out on a lot in life by not having a good relationship with 'him'.

I agree about marriage to 'our equal'. That also really resonated with me. Can you elaborate more on that as well? I feel my inner marriage is in trouble. I'm also trying to bridge a better understanding of the relationship between my inner marriage and outer marriage....

Thanks so much,
May

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mother repeatedly raped

Hi May

You are 'hard at it'
There is a lot to what you are inquiring into and I am learning the nuances of this myself. Jung said that he never cured anyone, that they did it all themselves.,,, what th was saying is that once we see what is going on (by turning out attenction to it) we have already set the process in motion. That is why our dreams evolve, it is as if our psyche will only give us what our bodies (and limited mind - like the RAM on a computer I guess) can handle.
Slowly we get 'stronger' (not in a masculine / feminine sense) and can handle more.
I think of the psyche like a sailing boat, as long as we don't manipulate it with our will, we can sail the wings of the soul, in stormy weather we may get tossed around a bit, seemingly on the whim however we will end up where we are supposed to be - and sailing boats have a natural tendancy to find equilibrium ,,, balance.

I suggest "The maiden King' By Marion Woodman + Robert Bly ,,,, the reunion of masculinne and feminine

All the best
JC

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mother repeatedly raped

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reading ideas, I will get a hold of some of Marion Woodman's other books as well as soon as possible.

In answer to your question, is my mother in the dream being raped psychologically or physically, it was physically. This is what made the dream so horrifying to me, shocking beyond my ability to cope with. In the dream, I wanted to find solutions to stop what was happening from happening, because the dream indicated it was an ongoing thing. I didn't know how to reach out to her and heal her...or address the trauma...in the dream I just told myself she's fiesty, she'll be OK. That's so trivializing what is happening to her, I think you mentioned that my attitude shows I'm not as concerned as I 'should' be.

Thanks for your help and best regards,
May

There is something else I'd like to add to this dream.

In the dream, one of the things that made me write that my mom was a younger version of herself was that she was very, very thin, thinner than her usual self. In the last year and a half or so she has been recovering from cancer and the treatments can cause severe weight loss, which happened to her. Could this dream also be reflecting how I feel about what cancer, and cancer treatments have done to my mom? I know that there is also a deeper meaning about me, but I wonder if this interpretation fits with Jungian thought?

Thanks in advance,
May

Hi May
Sorry for the later response, I ahve been away ans unable to access the net.

From a Jungian perspective dreams carry many levels of meanings; so what you postulate is likely so - dreams can convey many messages to us, and these meanings can continue to open as we gain more insights into ourselves

all the best
Justin

Hi Justin,

After learning about the prolouge to the Grail legend and the wasteland...i.e. rape of the feminine, I think that applies here also. The legend of the grail starts with the rape of the feminine..the handmaidens at the Fisher King's Kingdom.

I'm just concerned that such a negative dream is what is setting me off in search of the Grail. Jungian analysts write about how dreams at the start of analysis can give clues how things will end up. I feel like starting posting at the dream forum is like starting analysis in Jungian terms. But at least it got me started searching and thats a good thing.

Thank you again so much

May

Hi May

It is all related; as you may see from my reply to you other follow-up post.

No one can say how your path will be - I view a knowledge of Jung's principles invaluable in helping me to relearn something that I think we maderns have lost - to understand the 'voice of God' as the bible might say. Or as a rabi replied when asked why God doesn't speak to anyone anymore, "we are all too proud".

So no one knows where your journey willlead you, yet alone where it will finish. My view is that the mythology can help us to avoid the pitfalls - as in Joseph Cambells book the Power of Myth ,,, the pathway is well known ,,, dreams can be symbols that live for us individually ,,, and yet the ancient themes and rules apply.
Better to have some light on the path than none at all, or worse still, not to know that one is on a path and be stumbling around in the dark ,,,,

I did not know that the Grail started with the rape of the feminine - ugh ! so it was known then and we (society to) has yet to learn ,,,,

I remember re-reading the Grail myth and its relevance hit me so personally - there is a stage when Parsifal has to go to a cave / or be alone ,,,, just as I ahve been doing over the past few months ,,,, well the modern equivalent - I am feeling ready to face the world again soon ,,, much wiser and better equiped - so the myth was reassuring for me..

the best
JC

In hindsight,

'I'm not sure but I think my husband told me I couldn't board up the windows, for some reason.'

His (abusive) presence in my life prevented me from taking the right action at the time (closing myself my windows off to hime) that would protect my psyche from harm (his abuse) (which was experienced as rape of the sacred divine feminine in my psyche).

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 38

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present