Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dead Bird in cage...

This is a dream someone else told me about and it had that feeling to it of some kind of symbolism ...so I wanted to investigate the dream for her. The woman who had this dream is in her late sixties. She dreamed she had a bird in a cage that she was very very fond of....One day she looked into the cage and the bird was dead...all the feathers were gone, no where to be seen, and this poor little bird was laying on the cage floor like a little bird skeleton...nothing but bones...She was very upset and grieved him...Then she noticed that she never put a food dish in his cage. She never fed him. He died because she never fed him. This woman had parakeets for most of her life and took care of them very well. I don't know if that has any connection though...anklebells

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 41

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? no

Re: Dead Bird in cage...

ankle bells,

This appears to be a common dream motif, that of a person in later life who did not realize an aspiration, a life's calling.

The bird could symbolize some aspiration (bird) in life your friend did not pursue, did not seek to fulfill but instead kept locked within (caged). Perhaps an unrealized dream from her youth like creativity, spirituality, a profession or deep involvement in some other aspect. Possibly she failed to recognize this call, or became distracted by involvement in other areas so did not heed the call. Because she failed to nourish and develop this aspect it did not find proper expression in her life. It now feels dead to her, a part of her within feels to have died. The grief she felt in the dream is a real emotion, brought about by the loss of deep fulfillment now lacking in her life.

Exactly what the aspect could be only the dreamer can identify. Perhaps if she examines her past life she will uncover exactly what this could be. It’s never too late to pursue a dream.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 44 Central OH

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Y

Thank You so much Kathy...
anklebells

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} female

anklebells,

You're welcome. Thank you for posting the dream. Dream interpretation, without in depth personal information about the dreamer, is generally close. But not always. If you have time and inclination we would be interested in your friends' thoughts, both about the dream and interpretation. Perhaps if the interpretation does not fit with the dreamer, with her thoughts we can plumb the meaning.

Dreamer feedback allows us to continue learning both about interpretation and psychology.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Hi Anklebells,

For me, if I had this dream, the bird would represent my soul, and I have put it in a cage and neglected it. I never feed it. I never feed my soul the food it needs, I never nourished my soul....I realize this now and the dream is working through my feelings and perhaps warning me.

Hope this helps your friend. I also agree with Kathy's interpretation.

May

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 35/ EGYPT

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? YES

Thank you May and Kathy...I am still waiting for a response from the dreamer on how she feels about the interpretation. She is thinking about it. I know this woman pretty well and it sounds like your interpretation goes with what I know about her. Thank You for your interpretation. I will let you know what she thinks after she thought about it.

I wanted to add something here though. Right as I was falling asleep last night (you know that inbetween sleeping and waking state), I had a a quick disturbing dream that lasted a couple of seconds that I was laying on the floor of my house feeling sick or something. I did not feel good as I was falling asleep anyway but as I was drifiing off to sleep, I had a quick dream that a parakeet flew across the room and landed on my shoulder and then I woke up. anklebells

A response to May and Kathy's dream interpretation...

These interpretations are interesting..........The idea that I am grieving something that I never pursued is certainly real....I've been so busy all my life that I haven't paid enuf attention to my own needs. But I always believed that a Woman with a husband and children does that. We always put ourselves on the back burner, so to speak , in order to keep peace with the household. Not as a martyr, but for the sake of peace and quiet. Perhaps that's why my going back to school at 40, plus take care of the house hold, husband and children almost did me in............. Many other woman in my position have told me this too. And sometimes, in our later years, we lose confidence in ourselves so that it becomes harder to do these things at a later stage in life. Now I find I need more "alone" time to concentrate on my passions, as things do take longer to do. Maybe that's why a relationship, at this time, seems to rob me of my time....but that's me.........................Thank You.....

anklebells,
Thank you both for your responses. This adds to the depth of a dream interpretation and much in the way of learning on the forum. Limited time/computer access this morning. I will take a look at your friends response later this evening & respond.

Regarding your dream:
The dream may have revealed an unconscious (sleeping) knowledge of the foundation (floor) of the illness (laying on the floor). Perhaps an indulgence in a substance to bring peace or release (bird flying), to the mental or emotional, yet the physical body can not tolerate, creates an imbalance/illness (dual symbolism of the bird, specifically parakeet).

Not sure why…The use of birds in coal mines as a detector of poisonous gas/lack of oxygen came to mind. Symbolic of source of ill health, a detector of sorts. The day of the dream, did you indulge in a favored substance? It could be something you ate, drank, wore (such as a perfume), air (candles/incense, etc), etc. that you could connect to the unwell body?

As usual, an interpretation may or may not be close. Including personal information, such as your feeling unwell, aids in a personal level interpretation. Usually the dreamer has an idea as to what their dream addresses, but is unaware or not conscious of the connection. When the dreamer adds this personal information in essence they may have unconsciously identified the theme. Please respond with your thoughts and perhaps we can discern the message.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Kathy,
If I am understanding you correctly, your interpretation of my little dream seems right on. I had that dream last week and I am not sure what happened exactly that night but I have a terrible problem with PMS and it was one of those nights and I could not sleep and felt really sick and there is a very good chance I tried to take something to calm the discomfort...maybe herb teas...not sure what... Whatever I took probably calmed me and put me to sleep for a minute and just was not helping as good as I wanted it to and then I had that dream of the bird and woke up. It was probably one of those bad nights and I most likely did take something. I will be back again with any other perplexing dreams or those of others. Very helpful...anklebells

Another thing Kathy is that I remember how disturbing it was for that parakeet to land on my shoulder in the dream that night. I remember feeling lousy and it would seem that a bird perching on your shoulder would be a pleasant but I remember it being so disturbing and unpleasant...anklebells

anklebells,
My apologies on the late response here. Got tied up in work.

Another thought about your dream...a bird may symbolize the spiritual aspect. Is there some aspect or situation that normally you would enjoy or not mind attending to but due to the PMS felt as though you were 'shouldering a burden' (the discomfort, etc)? This could be a normally positive aspect of Self, of your spirituality, but momentarily it became a burden?

Kind regards,
Kathy

Anklebells,
To your friend…

You identified much of the social burden placed on women. As we look back at the feminist movement while it brought much needed improvement in areas this movement failed to even recognize other areas requiring perhaps even more attention such as addressing the need for greater male participation in the family. This effectively increased the burden on females.

That you now work with your ‘passions’, your Bliss, is wonderful. It is in later life, after raising the family, that many women come to realize and develop their Self interests as more time permits. Perhaps there are yet more ‘passions’ to rediscover.

Thank you for your response. The Dream Forum is a place of learning and all who interact here support and contribute to the development of others.

Kind regards,
Kathy

Kathy, You asked if there is some aspect or situation that normally I would enjoy or not mind attending to but due to the PMS felt as though I were 'shouldering a burden' (the discomfort, etc)? My response is yes...absolutely...Every month when I go through what I go through, even the things that I would love to do become a terrible burden. I get so angry that there is no real relief from this trouble and it interfers with everything...even things I love become a burden... Thank You for your thoughtful and insightful responses...anklebells

stats from 7-14-10 to the present