Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Importance of Sleep

Here are a few important facts about sleep.

I came across this article in the LA Times.com about the importance of sleep in association with health issues. I think you will find it an important message when it comes to good health. Here is an excerpt from the article that provides insights to the new scientific findings of the lack of sleep on our health:

A groundbreaking study in 1999, led by Eve Van Cauter, a professor of medicine at the University of Chicago, showed that just six days of sleep restricted to four hours pushed 11 healthy young male volunteers into a pre-diabetic state. Those jaw-dropping results expanded the field of sleep research, and convinced scientists that chronic, partial sleep deprivation damaged the body, not just the mind.

Here is the link to the article: Rest: It Is Required

Another article I believe insightful is this one from Washington University. It is a simple page that illustrates the function of sleep and dreams.

What Is Sleep...and why do we need it?

Some dream theorists say that dreams have a problem-solving function. I believe you can detect that function by examining the posted dreams at the Forum.
Carl Jung claimed that the function of dreams is to compensate for those parts of the psyche (total personality) that are underdeveloped in waking life. This function also can be seen by in depth studies of posted dreams.

Some theories have been proposed, including a famous suggestion by the Nobel Prize winner, Francis Crick, that the purpose of sleep is to allow the brain to "take out the trash" -- to deprogram the miscellaneous events that are not to be stored for long-term memory. Recent studies with animals in our laboratory suggest that he may be right, at least at a molecular level.

I am still looking for that definitive source to verify more of these conclusions about the importance of dreams in sleep.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: The Importance of Sleep

I agree with all of it lol
My favourite hobby is sleeping! lol

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37 UK

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} f

This is one of my favorite topics too! But are those two links the same?

Pryzm

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47, Nasvhille, TN

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Pryzm,
You are right. I gave the same URL for both. Here is the correct URL for What is Sleep...and why do we do it?
Thanks for the headsup.

Gerard

Gerard,
This new article is fascinating.
Thanks!
Pryzm

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 47, Nasvhille, TN

Pryzm,
It is a neat page isn't it? It does a great job in simplifying the subject of sleep and how important sleep is. I like it that it gives space to dreams and REM sleep. Neuroscience, in particular the investigation of the brain and mind, can lead us to a better understanding of our human 'life' and also help in discovering and understanding our other metaphysical aspects. Creativity and spirituality being two that Jung addresses often in his studies. The fact the page is geared toward kids, it will help them understand an important issue of life earlier.

The amazing thing about recent scientific discoveries in the neuroscience is how true Jung's approach to understanding the psyche is. Jung believed sleep was not just for the restorative functions for the body, but it was also when the psychological restorative functions kick in. Dreams are therapeutic whether you remember them or not.

On the subject of metaphysics

Much of what we think of as metaphysical is actually a natural aspect of the human DNA. Intuition is a natural aspect of the human psyche. In Jungian thought intuitiveness is a feminine aspect. Women, because they are 'closer' to nature, are more intuitive than men. But intuitiveness can be developed. Dream work is an excellent tool in developing a superior intuitive mind. You learn to 'get a feeling' for a dream, the motifs begin to speak to you. There is the 'universal', archetypal connection to the dreamworld via the language of symbol and metaphor.

The internet is such a great tool for learning. When you and I seek to find answers, or new information, we can use the internet to discover so much on most any subject. Inquisitive minds need to know.

Gerard

stats from 7-14-10 to the present