Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Freud, Libido {Sex} and Psychic Energies

Ah ha! You are a Freudian impostor. Of course you had to read this post. It has sex in the Subject line.

A Freudian Trip--->

As much as I live by Jungian psych I can still appreciate the contributions of Sigmund Freud. Of course when we think of Freud we think of sex. Perhaps it was his own libido that provided him with insights to the sexual aspects. I don't know if his psychosexual theories hold true in every instance but I know they have merit in my experiences {personally and from my work with dream psych}. Sex in dreams so often do translate into real waking life experiences.

Those people with over stimulated libidos number as many as overeaters, smokers, drinkers and Republicans. I personally believe {except for Republicans} there are traceable patterns that relate to actual real life experiences that are 'a' stimulus for most additions or compulsions. And they come up in our dreams. I think it helpful to understand the earliest years of development in life, infancy when we look for causations for such behavior. Actor Rob Reiner's I Am Your Child Foundation promotes the first 3 years of life as important in development of the psych. It is both nature and nurture that shapes the life.

If you believe as I do that psychology is a true science then the question of how Freud differed from Jung becomes important. Freud is established old hat while Jung is seen by some as a bit of a mystic {no matter that his theories are becoming main line with acceptance in so many different aspects of science and life applications}.

Not being an academic I don't even pretend to be able compare the two in any true form. But while reading up on the philosophies of some of Freud's sexual themes I can across a comparison of Freud's and Jung's concept of psycic energy. I think it may define how opposite they were on the subject, and why my interest has always been in Jung and not Freud. Being a Darwinist, as well as a Jungian, I believe science holds most of the answers {science is nature} but it can never answer all the questions. That is where the 'mystical' aspect becomes relevent. For many it is a personal God. For some like myself it is applying the 'hero' pattern to the personal life that guarantees reliable guidance and helps me grow personally. Of course we merely need look to the myths, folklore and fareytales to learn more about all the possible patterns {of behavior}. And there is a lot of mystism in those stories.

What stirred my interest was Freud's Sublimation as the refocusing of psychic energy {refering to libido energies}. Freud's assessment was that psycic energy was limited. Jung believed that psychic energy {refering to libido} as the free creative--or psychic--energy an individual has to put toward personal development, or 'individuation'. In Jung's determination the creative Self is a higher aspect of the psyche. We begin to take a 'mystical' approach when addressing these aspects {creativity and spirituality}. Contrary to Freud's belief that psychic energy was limited, perhaps Jung believed the psyche when understood was unlimited in its possibilities. From my work with dreams and the enhancement of my intuitive insights from working with dreams {I don't mean to toot my horn} my personal experience tells me Jung fits right within who I am. And it all fits in with science and nature if you do take Jung as the template of true understanding.

Comments welcomed. No! Expected!

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Freud, Libido {Sex} and Psychic Energies

Freud was a mother hating misogynist - something one should bear in mind when 'interpreting' his theories.

There is no 'Absolute' truth in life, no 'essentialism'. This would reduce all experience to all or nothing, black and white polarity.

Freud was a person with his own ideas. One should not take others ideologies as 'sacred' but read and interpret them.
Evevn interpretation is not absolute. Subsequnt readings by the same and different people, yield different messages.

Roland Barhes believed that the 'Death of the Author' occurred with the 'birth of the reader'. i.e. the intent of the author was irrelevant as it was the readers interpretation which mattered.

I disagree with this. Without the author, the text woudl not exist. Interpretation is a negotiation between author and reader. One navigates the straits of a text and no two journeys/destinations are identical.

This can be applied to all theory, erligious doctrine etc. Also - dont believe everythingyou read. Just because someone else said so , does not mean that they are 'right'.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 40 UK

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Re: Freud, Libido {Sex} and Psychic Energies

Selma,
It is always strident to question authority. Especially your own.

Thanks for your thoughts. There is no doubt Freud had many faults and much of it seems to come from his relationship with the feminine {conscious and unconscious}. In the end those faults may be helpful for many men today when they look at themselves as sexual beings. What was alien to Freud may be medicine for the psyche in 2006. Freud's fault may have been a failure to recognize 'spirit' as an aspect of the psyche. How can you explore the psyche without confronting the feminine spirit? Freud did a masterful job of doing just that. Perhaps it is why he is becoming old news and Jungian thought is becoming more accepted.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

stats from 7-14-10 to the present