www.powerofdreams.net

mythsdreamssymbols.com

Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,primarily Jungian
5000+ Dreams

Interpreted
Gerald's GO
Rescue Kitty Fund

NOTICE: Age/Gender REQUIRED For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis REQUIRED
My Analysis are FREE. For Compensation Please Donate to My Kitty Fund.
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy
Due to Full Time Responsibilities of Animal Rescue {Cats}
Dream Forum Closed
Private Dream Analysis Available {Compensation}...Request Analysis at mythsdreams@hotmail.com
5000+ Posted Dreams with Interpretations follows 'Dreams - What They Are and Their Function'
Read the following
Dreams - What They Are and Their Function
Dreams are a succession of images, actions and sensations that occur involuntarily in the mind primarily during the REM stage of sleep. Dreams are unbiased, spontaneous products of the unconscious, outside the control of conscious will. The act of dreaming is physical but the contents of dreams is psychological. They are NATURAL expressions of the dreamer's emotional/personal life illustrating experiences that possess strong emotional energies. Although there are literal applications in dreams the primarily language is symbolic, metaphorical of the dreamer's emotional energies.
  • 1. Dreams are about the emotions, emotional energies of the person who is dreaming. They offer advice and a deeper understanding of our waking life as well as the foundations for the emotional energies of the dreamer.

• 2. The language of dreams is symbolic, but also with literal applications {literal waking experinces}. The symbolic images and actions are metaphors for the patterns or motifs for the dreamer's emotional/psychological/physical life. Every character in a dream is a different aspect of an unacknowledged aspect of the dreamer and/or a prevalent situation in the person's life involving actual persons/experiences {dreams will address both aspects}.

• 3. The purpose and function of dreams is to guide the conscious self to achieve wholeness and offer a solution to the problems in waking life. Solutions to problems and conflicts from everyday life, as well as the deeper underlying issues, 'emotional injuries' that stem from the foundations of the dreamer {early life experiences and trama experiences in life}.
    ---Dreams attempt to reveal the authentic emotions and feelings that are often concealed from the conscious mind.
    ---Dreams compensate for conscious attitudes and personality traits that are out of balance.

• 4. Dreams are intentional. Nature provides us with dreams to understand and help heal emotional conflicts/issues. Just as the body has the immune system to heal and protect, the psych{ology} has the dream.

• 5. Dreams possess 'Archteypal' representations. Archetypes are universal, original patterns and images that derive from the collective unconscious and are the psychic counterpart of instinct. An archetype is an inherited tendency of the human mind to form representations of mythological motifs-representations of the symbolic images/actions without losing their basic emotional pattern. Dreams and mythology share the same archetypal images, myths as illustrations of the universal patterns and dreams as illustrations of personal patterns.

• 6. All dreams have at least two meanings or applications. One is the symbolic representation, metaphorical of the emotional energies, and the second being a literal application where a person, place or experience is addressing a real life experience. More about this in the Basics of Dream Analysis section at Power of Dreams

• read more
    Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Dreams, Childhood Abuse & Adult Depression

Often I look at dreams from an adult and mention how they can address past traumatic childhood experiences. Since dreams are about the dreamer's life it is only to be expected that such traumatic experiences remain in the unconscious mind of the dreamer. The severity of the experience {usually mental and/or physical abuse] will often determine how the dreamer chooses {consciously or unconsciously} to handle these past experiences. Many try to ignore them or repress them.

Now comes a study that says physically abused and neglected children are much more likely to grow into severely depressed adults. My first reaction was, duh! But that is showing a disregard for those who know little about such mental stresses and how they figure into adult life. From working with dreams I have seen the remnants of childhood physical/mental abuse within the dreams. And I often state How I believe that such experiences can unconsciously control the activities of an adult. Of course having traveled that path I think of myself of having first hand experience. This study in my mind gives validity to this approach {if it really needed it}.

From the Article at MSNBC
    Physically abused and neglected children are much more likely to grow into severely depressed adults.

Children who were physically abused, neglected or both had as much as a 75 percent higher risk of suffering major depression as adults.

“In addition, these findings reveal that onset of depression began in childhood for many of the children,” the report said.

Given that, depression beginning in childhood, the dreams of these individuals will most likely try to address the childhood abuses. If the effects of the abuse remain unresolved they will almost surely show up in dreams when the person reaches mid-life and beyond. Often the language in these dreams will provide literal images depicting someone being abused, although it is often someone other than the dreamer.
    Example: In the dream I watched as the little boy was punished.
    Or
    I was in my childhood friend's house where children were verbally threatened or beaten.

I believe if we learn to better understand dreams and use them when working with depression or more serious mental disturbances we can provide more sound treatment with better results. Just as there is with the body's immune system which works to fight diseases, there is also a mechanism within the psyche that provides such protection for the mental state of being. They are called dreams.

The article is

Physical abuse leads to adult depression

Affected children have increased risk of major psychological problems

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Dreams, Childhood Abuse & Adult Depression

Yes I too believe this to be true. As an adult I know depression leaves you as helpless as a abused child. I think the helplessness is the key.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 48/Ohio

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? No

Re: Re: Dreams, Childhood Abuse & Adult Depression

Carol,
    You lend creedence that it is true about abuse as a child and the effects it has on us as adults. It is only good common sense to realize that the childhood is where we are primarily formed, that experiences from those earliest years leave an imprintation on our psyche. I see it as personal archetypes, those imprinted experiences that go with us throughout life. For those who may doubt this conclusion, I merely ask that they look back at their own childhood and see the influences from that period of time. Of course it is not only childhood that causes depression and mental instabilities, there can be many factors. But the sciences is showing us how profound childhood experiences can be in adult life.

Gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 56 Murfreesboro, Tn.

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Dreams, Childhood Abuse & Adult Depression

Despite any truths that this 'research' and information may hold, it is hardly helpful for survivors of abuse to be held back and labelled as victims, compounding suggestions of 'damaged goods' or problems looking back to the past again.
    If anything these experiences, while causing considerable psychic and emotional pain, the effects of which, in adulthood, as you have said, cannot be denied, have strengthen the person, through the sheer human struggle of surviving through the healing processes involved and being able to face the very worst that perception, societal agression and psychical intereferance can muster.
    Until the strengths, resiliance, insights and courage of survivors has been celebrated and continues to be celebrated by society, then society itself is simple, sweeping its torubles under the carpet and blaming the survivors - rather than looking itself honestly and clealry in the 'collective face' as it should.
    Will that day ever come?

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 37 F

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} F

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

stats from 7-14-10 to the present