Speedex Tractor Forum

Welcome Friends!! Feel free to post your Speedex Tractor related questions and answers here. I will also post site news and information about additions to the site. Use this forum for questions, answers, or modifications you have made to your Speedex, Restoration tips and tricks, anything Speedex..If you have any information or personal knowledge on an asked question , Please volunteer your answer to the asking person...Don't hold back ..you can do it ....thanks Mike Hamper 

Speedex Tractor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1631 w/ implements new to me

Hey, I just joined the speedex family. This thing looked and ran great when I drove it before I bought it. Guess how it runs once I got it home. Well, I can't seem to get it started...is there a trick to these old 16 horse briggs? How can I date this machine? Also, the guy rigged a metal flat iron as his center link...does someone know where I can get an original? I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions...in the meantime I'll be cleaning it up and taking some pictures to put on here.

thanks,

Brent Johnson
Greenville, TX

197? Speedex 1631
Speedex tandem disc
Speedex breaking plow
Speedex front weight bumper
Speedex 44" belly mower

Re: 1631 w/ implements new to me

I went to Atwoods and got a center link for my 3 pt. My next question is why does the 3 pt lean to the right so bad? Is that normal or is something bent/need to be adjusted? Can I use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant or sea foam in this engine to help it run smoother or do they normally run pretty rough? It only smokes when it's flooded but it tends to back fire quite a bit.

Thanks again,

Brent

Maybe the it's getting too much fuel? Where are the screws to adjust the air/fuel mixture and which way do I turn them?

I'm not sure, but if this runs the same 16 hp Briggs single as my 1430, then there is brass needle valve on the carb that you'll need to fiddle with every time you run it (because of different temperature, humidity and barometric pressure). Once you get a feel for it, it's pretty easy to get it running smoothly. It is just a small crosschecked knob. When I have trouble starting, I tighten it up and then back it off until it starts. Once it's warm, you'll have to make some small adjustments to smooth things out under load.