Speedex Tractor Forum

Welcome Friends!! Feel free to post your Speedex Tractor related questions and answers here. I will also post site news and information about additions to the site. Use this forum for questions, answers, or modifications you have made to your Speedex, Restoration tips and tricks, anything Speedex..If you have any information or personal knowledge on an asked question , Please volunteer your answer to the asking person...Don't hold back ..you can do it ....thanks Mike Hamper 

Speedex Tractor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
weak spark

i have changed the points,condensor and coil adjust and starts right up when you cut off and go to restart you have very weak fire i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how to fix it.its a model 243434 10hp briggs i was wondering if i could switch over to electronic ignition if someone has done this with success what did they use etc. any help is greatly aprecciated .Other than that the old s-24 runs like a top all original motor std piston whole nine yards when she fired up didn't smoke a lick and hasn't ran in over 10 years took for spin around the yard and WOW it was like riding a piece of history amazing

Re: weak spark

Chris,
I have used a Atom computer ignition module that I picked up at my Carquest. It seems to make a differance in how they start. That does not mean that your coil may not be weak but this unit should help and it is cheaper than points and condenser.
Speedex tractors are great fun and easy on repairs, Have fun!!!!!!!

Ron,thanks I have found that online and a couple others am gonna try one but the coil is brand new and is O.E.M from Briggs is it still possible its weak?Also have read about having to repolarize flywheel?I would think I would have weak spark all the time in that case.I don't know I'm new to the speedex and these older motors.Heck the tractor and motor are both older than me but with a little help I will figure it out.Thanks again

Have you cleaned the rust from the magnet on the flywheel?or Try a new plug,or both.That should help.

My 1030 w/a 15HP Briggs had the same problem- Rather than tear into the engine I used an old 12v automotive coil- Run a line from the Battery + to the + side of the coil then run the - side on the coil to the points to pulse the - side to ground. Connect the coil to the spark plug and your good to go till you feel like tearing into the engine. PS-Good idea to make sure the + has a fuse in line (20 amp)