Speedex Tractor Forum

Welcome Friends!! Feel free to post your Speedex Tractor related questions and answers here. I will also post site news and information about additions to the site. Use this forum for questions, answers, or modifications you have made to your Speedex, Restoration tips and tricks, anything Speedex..If you have any information or personal knowledge on an asked question , Please volunteer your answer to the asking person...Don't hold back ..you can do it ....thanks Mike Hamper 

Speedex Tractor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking at a 1964 S24

Ran across an article in LAGC some time ago and since have always liked the Speedex tractors, find myself looking for them in future articles and always wanted to own one.

Now I find one, located about an hour and a half from my house and the guy wants $600 for it. I've looked at the manuals etc on the speedex site and haven't found any real information on it. Ok, not fair I found some information but there were so many variances to the S24 I really don't know what I am looking at.

Could anyone here guide me so I don't end up with some aberration that was 'hacked' and 'hacked' in the back of Freds barn that is no longer is a speedex.

In 1964 does anyone here know what I should be looking for? as far as Tranny, did they have PTO's, creeper gears then? sliding engine? How do I know if it is 'original' as far as engine and drive train? Are the frames known to 'crack' like the Cub originals?

Ok hopefully I haven't lost you guys up to this point, anxiously waiting on your replies so I know weather to move forward with my speedex purchase.

Regards

Re: Looking at a 1964 S24

Hello Jim, thank you for posting on this site. On your hopeful S24 purchase. All the Round Hooded S24 tractors ( 1966-70 ) had the 10 Hp Briggs and 2-speed trans. Later S24 ( 1970-74 ) had both the 2-speed and a 3-speed trans,still the 10 Hp Briggs. No PTO, and yes sliding eng. The tractor construction is such that never have I heard of a cracked Frame. there should be a serial # stamped on the frame for identification. something like this, 0409G. The first S24 came off the assembly line in July of 1966, before that the tractors were S23 with 9 Hp Briggs engines. Hope this helps you make a decision. For $600 the tractor should be pretty nice with some attachments. I will send a seperate Tractor Valve by condition guess sheet to your e-mail address. Send me a photo when you get a chance. for now Mike Hamper

Re: Looking at a 1964 S24

I Now realize it is a 66 or 67...

Well I still haven't gotten the serial number but it appears to be 0266 I'll have to examine it closer. I went took a look at it, the previous owner fired it right up and I took it for a spin and bought it. Super condition. I got a little 'wiggle' in price and the hood is super straight, with the original engine, and all the mechanicals seem to work fine. I am not sure about wheel bearings since the front wheels 'wobble'...but that is a simple fix. And since the email came I think I am gonna use the Massey red...since I can get that at TSC. Same with the deere yellow...

The starter switch I was worried was wrong but in examining a few on the net...that are obviously in original condition I am impressed that the starter switch is also original. Or, an original knock off.

The starter gen will get rebuilt no problem which is why the guy used the pull start, carb had the glass bowl filter and the hood had the kill switch, and choke along with the throttle in the right place. So sitting here at this hour I am ecstatic with my purchase. I'll strip it down to bare metal, the previous owner welded a small bracket on at the lever to engage the plow and I'll chop that off with a plasma cutter and make it look original. Then do a show car finish on that tractor and make the paint shine like new. Plaster some new decals on it and it'll be like new...well maybe better than new.

Now I am running into an issue with the exhaust...currently my exhaust points straight out the front grille...but I've found a different configuration with a pipe bent down and exiting out the lower right front of the hood area...I believe that is correct. Since I do have access to pipe and benders as well as a lathe for spinning my own mufflers can you or anyone else help me with the correct dimensions of the exhaust pipe?

The Seat -Starter gen and fuel tank, is also subjects of a q...
I have seen a few of those on the net that were 'yellow' although my seat the previous owner left 'Red' so I believe mine was Red...but not sure about the Starter gen and the fuel tank...Anyone knonw?

Thanks for all the help/advice I am pretty ****ed excited about this tractor...