Speedex Tractor Forum

Welcome Friends!! Feel free to post your Speedex Tractor related questions and answers here. I will also post site news and information about additions to the site. Use this forum for questions, answers, or modifications you have made to your Speedex, Restoration tips and tricks, anything Speedex..If you have any information or personal knowledge on an asked question , Please volunteer your answer to the asking person...Don't hold back ..you can do it ....thanks Mike Hamper 

Speedex Tractor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stupid Question...Steering wheel Removal

All:

Got a 1632 that I'm trying to resusitate. I'd like to pull the steering wheel to remove the dash. I pulled the shaft bolt out and tried to lift off the wheel but no luck as I don't want to yank on the wheel.

Is there a shaft bolt that runs through the steering wheel hub into the shaft? I don't see one on the parts diagram.

Much thanks.

Tom

Re: Stupid Question...Steering wheel Removal

The steering wheel and steering gear are both held on with roll pins. You should be able to push them out with a small drift punch and light hammer taps. Get someone to back up the steering shaft so that the pins come out with the full force of the taps.

Re: Stupid Question...Steering wheel Removal

Ron:

Apparently the PO ditched the roll pin that runs through the steering wheel and into the shaft with a 1/4" threaded rod. No big deal as the bolt came out easy. However, I removed the center cover of the wheel to see it there is a bolt through the center (very much like my Wheel Horse. I can't see what is there as it appears someone poured hard plastic into the center. The wheel wobbles and spins freely but when I tug on the wheel itself, it feels like there is a center bolt / nut.

I'd hate to cut the durn thing off but I'm starting to guess this was a jerry-rigged repair by the PO.

Tom