Speedex Tractor Forum

Welcome Friends!! Feel free to post your Speedex Tractor related questions and answers here. I will also post site news and information about additions to the site. Use this forum for questions, answers, or modifications you have made to your Speedex, Restoration tips and tricks, anything Speedex..If you have any information or personal knowledge on an asked question , Please volunteer your answer to the asking person...Don't hold back ..you can do it ....thanks Mike Hamper 

Speedex Tractor Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poll: What do you use your Speedex Tractor for "Show" "Work" or Both!!

Lets see what people really do with there tractors. I use my tractors for both Show and Work.

My tractors

1. S-14 Ready for the prade
2. S-14 Frame in need of lots of parts
3. S-23 round hood being restored now sandblasted and primed needs paint
4. S-23 Tiller steer
5. M-23 with draw bar lever on the rear
6. M-14 Speedex Transtion tractor Seems to me a cross from a S-14 and M-14.
7. S-8 used today to turn my garden for spring planting

Re: Poll: What do you use your Speedex Tractor for "Show" "Work" or Both!!

I also use my tractors for Both Work and Show , and most honestly Work..... I do 2.5 acres of Veg. each year in -10 different gardens....I plow with my FG, S24, and Model-B,and My Sons Model 832 Diesel. I disc with the Model 1691,and my sons Model 832. Use the 1691 as a utility tractor.Plow and Blow Snow. Rake hay , collect multch with trailers, haul wood, and use the rear mounted Tiller for tilling before planting, and Brush Boss to mowe off weeds that come at the end of the potato season on the hilled rows,and general brush hogging around the farm. I also use the 1691 to dig potatoes. I mow my grass with the Model 1640. I use the S19 as utility also for smaller jobs ( and helpers ) I plan to rake hay this year after an Air-Filter design building job for the FG Model-A engine carb. I also hope to get the 50" mower deck completed for my All-American S32 and use it for mowing around all the gardens... approx. 3- acres. And plan to hill potatoes with the 1947 Model-C....Eventually I will be using my Model 1632 with front-end loader for all it will do.. Shows are great wish I could bring all of them . Now you know why my tractors usually look dirty.. :>) ...Mike Hamper

Instant Messenger: Thank You

I use my tractors for both show and work. One of my S-24's I have had since it was new in 1970 and it still helps out when I need it.

I use my 1631 for mowing my 1.5 acres and yard trailer hauling. My first 1632 with a 6' snowplow makes short work of keeping the driveway cleared out in the winter. In the summer it's on the job with me with a front dozer blade and rear stone rake, prepping driveways and garage floors for my concrete business. My second 1632 is in the process of restoration with hopes of finding (or building) a front end loader and backhoe for use in my business.
Gary R.

Gary thank you for posting on the site......I did not know you do concrete work.....I have my son (and I ) working on a front-end loader for my Model 1632 Photo is on the site......this is a modification of an older small front-end loader my son Joe is modifing approx. 75-80 % complete ( I can't wait) on the colors what I used is a IH red and John Deere yellow from my local tractor supply place, it is in spray cans and I did my FG HighBoy ( photo on site ) with it...here is the numbers from the can ...The red is Case Inter. Gloss Red Rouge Luster # B17566N.....Its
called Iron/Gard Enamel......The Yellow is By DURAFIT and called John Deere
AG Yellow #B505028 ... Thanks again Mike

Instant Messenger: Thank You

I use it just for fun, I like to watch the grand kids running it.

John I have a feeling there are probably lots of people that also use there tractors just for fun. I have a S-14 frame that I plan to do a father son project with one day when my son is old enough. I think he will really enjoy it. This will be his tractor. What model tractor do you have? Thanks for posting.

The model B 1940. 95% restored.

Well fellows , I did use the Model-C walk behind to hill my 900 # of seed potatoes this year....must have been a lot shorter folks back then....it worked great as I am now digging them with an offical Model-B potato digger mounted on my S24...the hilling reduced my work time of covering the potatoes by hand by better then 75-85 percent....However the crop is poor due to all the rain we have had over the Summer...as time permits I will be posting pictures onthe Tractor Working section later....Mike Hamper

This Question has resulted in a lot of Viewers ... now that the Fall / Winter season is here maybe more fellows will contribute to this question ... every one does something with their Pride and Joy ... let's share it ! .... Mike

I used my S-23 tiller steer to pull a plow along my fence line the other day to break the ground up for planting Black berries. It makes digging the holes much easier. Softens things up a little bit LOL. I plan to give the old S-23 a face lift over the winter months. She deserves it.

Yesterday I used my S-23 tiller steer to plow a customers Garden for the winter. It worked well even though the plow isn't a Speedex garden plow. The ground was a little hard (it is December) but we got it done. After about 2hrs of plowing my right hand got a bit sore from holding on to the steering rod. LOL

Wallace did you think to take photos...?...for the Tractors Working..? Mike

Instant Messenger: Tractors Working

Mike

I did take some photos and I just emailed them to you. My customers probably thought we were nuts but I told them that this was a bit of a hobby for me.

Members look for Wallace plowing in the Tractors working section of the Member Side shortly after the Holidays....Mike Hamper

heck i use my speedex's for anything workwise and even for show. we just got another mower the other day and i used it to pull it into the garage. i use them for skidding logs out of the woods to mowing the grass to plowing our garden to plowing snow. i have a s-24 with the plow on the back i used to plow our gardens and me only being 14 after awhile my arm got tired. i also have 2 2-17's and one 2-19

Instant Messenger: aim

Neither,my Father's tractor has been sitting in the garage waiting to be put to the test...Can they really do anything else besides showing them? Finding parts for these tractors are very difficult.Take for instance the so called "Trans Tech Int'l... " Try to buy a part from them... Good Luck...They or whom ever may have it someday...if you get an answer.Oh well, we,my Father and I, have been trying to buy a toolweldment bar for a 1832 speedex tractor so we could do garden work with this tractor.All we keep getting is a BIG run-a-round where to purchase it at or what to do.So there it sits in the garage waiting for a part that can not be found or made... John

So far just work. My 1430 has a blade, tiller, mowing deck and a few things I made myself like a carryall. The tiller is talk of the neighborhood. Last year hauled 90 yards of bark/mulch around the property with the 4x8 dump trailer and then spread it around with the blade. Tough little tractor. Just finished a quick restoration to keep the rust from eating it away. Looks pretty good if you don't look too close. Put a cub stack muffler on it and some tri-rib fronts. If you didn't know how little it was, you'd swear it was a regular farm tractor. Hauled a bunch of kids around on a hay ride for my son's birthday. Sending pics to Mike soon. I live in the suburbs, so all the dads couldn't beleive that I had a tractor (a little envious I think). Hope to get it in a 4th of July parade or the festival later in the fall.

Well, I am new to the arena, but where I am from, if we own something like a tractor, it had better be doing something, even if it is just for light duty stuff. Not that I have anything against those who strictly show. I would like to be there someday! I just can't justify buying something right now, investing more money in it, then letting it sit.

I just purchased an S-18, and in the last two days, I have hauled all the wood I could stack in my yard cart, and even tied a tarp to the back to haul leaves from the front yard to the back. It cut my leaf hauling time (normally pulled by hand) to shreds, and my back is not sore! I won't do too much restoration work before spring, because I plan on using this as my tractor for gathering maple sap in my small backyard operation. I'll send some pics to Mike when the time comes.

I use my S19 just for show, and a parade when i find one, it is in it's own little shed with a warm blanket covering it now. Sorry, no work, all play.

Instant Messenger: firecop1938

I will use my new (to me) 1631 for garden work, although I will also work on it as I have time to get it looking like new. With the power this thing has and the implements that came with it, I should be able to work my garden rather easily. I also hope to prep gardens for other people in my area.