Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dreams are no longer that great mystery they once were

I want to re-post my response to a Mask dream because I believe it is a fact that has become so real we can now say what we know about dreams in confidence. The Subject headline says it all.

The remarks from Mask's dream being addressed in my post {Ice, snow and hail } were as follows:

Mask: you're right about the 'over-analyzing'..this is also what drives/takes me away from dream lots of times. Sometimes it would even be better to just leave a dream alone for a while and try to interpret it later in time.

My response and the core of this post:

Or taking the dream message to look at your waking life and see what measures are needed to better balance what needs attention. I seldom interpret my dreams completely but do try to understand the advice offered that undoubtedly relates to some aspect of my psyche that is a waking concern {of course I have been engaged in the Individuation Process for almost 18 years and have discovered most of what were emotional conflicts}. I had such a dream last night were a baby was actually an old man in disguise. With some thought I was able to connect this to my waking life. It illuminates what has been an emotional conflict {although a minor one I have worked with for some time}. If you know your true self and what the different components {body, mind and soul} are capable of, you have become 'Individualized' and live from that. Such a position of the psyche includes a spiritual aspect which alone provides guidance and abundance when all else in life may seem to abandon you. It is the basic hero journey, one that is established and works time and again when that path is the life's path.

As I have stated many times I see dreams as therapeutic. It doesn't require a trained psychologist to understand what a dream message may be in association to the waking life {although it does often take someone experienced in dream interpretation to convey that message}. Some dreams are obvious even to a person who has no knowledge of how dreams function. But most are so symbolic with its strange language of metaphor that too many take a dream literally which can only make the waking life worse.

One primary reason we are here, those of us who are regular contributors and have this great interest in dreams and wish to share these learned experiences, is to provide insights to the dream world. This is why there is a MDS Dream Forum. It is incumbent on each of us to understand how our personal dreams relate to our waking lives if we are to instruct others on the possibilities in their dreams. Dreams are no longer that great mystery they were once were. Let me repeat that.

Dreams are no longer that great mystery they once were

Jung has provided the road map to understanding how dreams function as well as instructions of how to analyze the symbolic and metaphorical language of dreams. If I or others at the Dream Forum can take a dream and analyze it correctly using only the age, gender and the dream itself, think of the possibilities of a psychologist trained in Jungian psyche can offer. Let that psychologist have some quality personal time with the dreamer, and whatever the unconscious holds that may be a barrier to the dreamer's better well being can be analyzed and provide the dreamer with corrective alternatives to those eternal, internal emotional conflicts. Remove the couch and use the dream to look deep into the unconscious. That is what Jung did and his discoveries of the dream world to the deep unconscious has become the foundation of modern day psychology/psychiatry. But there is still too little use of the dream world to the internal discoveries that can link emotional conflicts that prevent so many of living a better and more harmonious life.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 59 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: Dreams are no longer that great mystery they once were

I thought I should just leave at least a note here. Unfortunately I seem to be going through some emotional and maturational issues that I feel I had already worked out before, so I don't necessarily feel I need to post a dream as of yet. Tomorrow may be different. I understand the work I need to do right now. But I am enamored with the world of dreams and the "nucleus of the personality" as Jung said. It feels that Jung confirmed that there is a grail, that there is the quest the kind that I marveled at as a kid.

I am balancing a lot right now with work and wife and two year old girl, so I apologize I feel I don't contribute as much as I would like. I apologize this reply isn't as relevant to the subject matter as could be.

I would like to echo as best I can the post. That dreams deal with a great many emotional complexities and in a subtle and metaphorical way, that is difficult to convey, yet lends itself to a certain amount of intuition.

When I read this post, one of the first things that came to mind was another quote that seemed relevent, "The Buddhist discard the world of unconscious fantasies as useless illusions; the Christian puts his Church and his Bible between himself and his unconscious; and the rational intellectual does not yet know that his consciousness is not his total psyche. This ignorance persists today in spite of the fact that for more than 70 years (120 now) the pysche has been a basic scientific concept that is indispensible to any serious psychological investigation."

There seems to be alot of information in these words. There are facts that require years of personal validation and experience. I'm still digesting their meaning. This site has given me a very real new angle with which to engage my unconscious. Thank You. Hope to be back soon. Sam

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 32 Montana

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Unfortunately I seem to be going through some emotional and maturational issues that I feel I had already worked out before.

Sam, I find many of them cycle again and again. It is a matter of "refinement." What we did not see the first time, we are more able to see at a later time, as our own capacity to see and understand has grown, more. Layers within levels, sort of thing.

Do we ever, really, "arrive?" ...

This ignorance persists today in spite of the fact that for more than 70 years (120 now) the pysche has been a basic scientific concept that is indispensible to any serious psychological investigation."

Most never seek in depth psychological investigation. This is where the sadness is - that most people in the world are not impelled to look beyond the world of form before their eyes, the virtual realities they are lost in - so that they might find the deepest, sustaining aspect of life, the Self. Have to touch and awaken the impulse in others, first. Perhaps then they will seek the roadmaps left by others.

Kristi

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 43, Kansas

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Sam,
The world of dreams are fascinating. And the balancing of ones life is a prime focus of our dreams. You possess a lot more knowledge than you may think about this unconscious world. And with such knowledge there is a better understanding of oneself since that is what dreams are about. To listen to your dreams is to listen to that true self, beyond the biased ego that prevails and distorts the waking life. The duality of conscious and unconscious remains just that until one recognizes that these two worlds can co-exist, and support one another. Whereas most think consciousness is the primary source of who we are and how we act/think, it is those of us who understand the power of the unconscious who discover true balance and harmony. It is the task of the hero/heroine journey to bring these two worlds together. That is the true grail, the 'Individuated Self'. The journey is a personal journey, one that requires the time and space needed by the individual. No two people take the same path {when the Knight of King Arthur's court enters the deep forest/unconscious to start his adventure, he follows a path no other has taken} and everyone has to abide by what is the pace needed to achieve their own individuated life. If Myths-Dreams-Symbols provides needed resources to help you with your journey, then the validation is not only in your life but mine as well. For it is that creative identity that Myths-Dreams-Symbols is, of my true Self, that mirrors your own psyche need for the same. It is a journey of the soul, inherent in all mankind, available to those who heed the call. I have found my bliss, just as Joseph Campbell found his, and shared what he discovered with me and millions of others so we too can share our adventures and gained knowledge. You are on that same path, at your own pace, to Self discovery, aided by the invisible helping hands that brought me, Campbell, and anyone else who dares adventure deep into the unconscious world of dreams. 'Return' whenever you need. You will never be far away because you have accepted the 'call to adventure', and at least for the time being that call includes this palace of dreams.

Jerry

"Invisible Hands" ... Beautiful Song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7JmRIfNgk

It is worth noting that I believe JD wrote this song for the child inside ... that potential. If one knows his and Jan's music and lyrics, the soul tenders that they are is quite evident. Very soulful music.

Being "lost in the darkness, we are lifted by love" ... those invisible hands. It can be said that we are all lost in the darkness, until we are not.

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

I am not used to such kind, beautiful and touching comments. Thanks.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 32 Montana

Sam,
My quote {not exact]: "when the Knight of King Arthur's court enters the deep forest/unconscious to start his adventure, he follows a path no other has taken" is a quote from Joseph Campbell. Here is a video of Campbell called the 'Hero's Journey' that may provide insights to the psyche and myth {the openning uses the original quote}. Campbell is my spiritual mentor and led me to Jungian psyche starting back in 1992. There are many Campbell videos available at my Myths-Dreams-Symbols main page listed under videos {many linked since they are considered 'intellectual property'}.

Jerry

I agree with you Jerry where you say: 'Remove the couch and use/place the dream instead.'

I hope that in a few years i have my own coaching practice and i hope to be able to integrate the use of dreams as an important part of the process.

According to the 'over-analyzing'. I did some thinking on this and i found that not the over-analyzing is THE cause of drifting away from interpreting a dream, but that the cause for me lies in not being really relaxed. I'm not only over-analizing dreams but i'm over-analizing all day long. I'm too much 'in it' instead of being able to 'step out of it' and study it 'from a distance'.

I already tried to reply in this topic twice, but both times i deleted my writing spontaneously. (?) In my first attempt to reply i wrote down a short story which i'd written a few years ago. Just by writing it down again it gave me some answers. Reading (and writing) this story again it showed me that i'm too busy wanting, trying and looking for change. It made me think of that dreaming period from a few years agao again. Back then i was really 'into it' and i was able to be really 'into it' because i was 'in the here and now'. (because of meditation)
I do believe the first thing for me is to find back that much more relaxed state of mind.

Kristi, thanks for that song...it gave me goosebumps and tears...it really touched me and it suddenly made me realize that my outer layer, my 'outer me' is so thin...how close to the surface the 'inner me' is. All this makes me think of a poem i wrote...

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 36

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? yes

Mask,
The opposite of being emotional is being objective. Emotions are subjective. Being able to view oneself from that third person point of view is imperative. And that is exactly dreams do. Dreams reflect the true self. So if we imitate the dream we can adhere to that objectivity, that third person.
Then the learning really begins.

Of course the goal is balance. Realizations are what enlightens us. And as Joseph Campbell so forcefully stated, "life is full of trials and revelations".

Jerry

Jerry,

You wrote:

Dreams reflect the true self.
As a teaching/learning opportunity, could you (would you) take a dream, any recent dream posted here, and demonstrate how it reflects the true self?

Kristi

Kristi,
Great question. To demonstrate how the true self is reflected in a dream we must first look for a dream that was correctly interpreted. Then we can see the 'true self' as it really is, as shown in the dream, a true reflection of the person's life. If in the dream the language states an experience or emotion about the person {as all observations would be true about the dreamer within a dream} then that would be the person's true experience/emotion and not the ego perceived experience that could be tainted by the biased ego. Or if there is some experience/emotion that has been repressed and the dream addresses this aspect, if the interpreter correctly interprets the dream language and the dreamer can connect it to actual waking life experiences, then you have the 'true self'.

An example of an interpreted dream that reflected the 'true' experiences of the dreamer and was confirmed in a follow-up post is old house, dead people, and blood everywhere. The Subject of the dream pretty much stated what the dream was addressing as well as the 'true' experiences of the dreamer. The dream language 'abused and desecrated, the people who mean the most to me in all the world" was a true reflection of past experiences of the dreamer. The 'people' who meant the most to dreamer was symbolic language representing the dreamer as well as the associations to those who were responsible for the abuse. The true experiences are revealed and so is the true person.

Dreams are not biased, do not have the ego tainted perceptions that often are thought to be true. What is within a dream in some way reflects the truth about the dreamer. This is the true self. Of course it is mostly symbolic language the dream uses but when the dream has a proper interpretation that language is usually recognized by the dreamer and they are able to connect the dots. If the dream fits then there is most likely a proper interpretation of the symbols and the dream.

Jerry

Thank you, Jerry.

Another question, if you would, please:

You mention the need to be objective ... and I agree ... though I sometimes (often, now) find it difficult to be so when I am swallowed by whatever my current issue may be ... that the emotional affect can be stronger, wants it say.

How do you weigh the value between the two?

I personally feel the feelings/emotions are just as important ... that we must sometimes experience the regressions (if you will) in order that we may resolve the early life/childhood issues.

And I get concerned when I hear another say that being objective is THE most important thing, for I fear it could be interpreted as coming only from a cerebral place, never (truly) embracing the feelings/emotions ... which I believe is crucial to real healing. That it is because we have so long avoided our feelings (as learned) that most of humanity takes childhood issues to their graves.

Kristi

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} FEmale

Kristi,
The goal is always to be 'balanced'. Feelings are definitely important to a balanced self, we can not function as stable human beings without these qualities. They are natural.

But there is a limit to how we let the emotions govern our lives. Being objective is the important quality that must prevail when the emotional self is unconsciously controlled in the waking life. The emotional conflicts that are created when confronted by situations in life that require reasoning are often the cause for so many personal 'dragons'. The emotions can overload the senses very easily, take control causing objectivity to lose control.

Here is a 'for instance'. I have a male friend who lives an overloaded emotional life. He looks for conflicts to satisfy his insatiable need for approval, a need to prove his self worth. It is an unconscious motivation stimulated by a lack of approval, acceptance and proper nourishment as a child. Plus there was a lot of physical as well as psychological abuse. He can reason, think objectively. His life is a mess.
And he is but one person I know who live their lives in this mold.

Perhaps the difference in comparing feelings vs objectivity is the much as how we use the terminology. It is not a choice between the two but whether each quality is used in a manner that is appropriate in any given moment. I am very much an emotional type person, someone who 'feels' for the inequalities I see in the world. But if I let that emotional self take control I would be depressed all the time. With the way the economy is and how I have chosen to live my life {choosing to focus on achieving my bliss rather than material worth} I am constantly having to face the possibility there will not be work to make ends meet {as most have to do}. Instead of worrying myself 'to death' needlessly* I look at the moment as it is, objectively instead of emotionally, and I always find a way to survive. The human spirit has this ability to do so. Some do a better job than others. Those who have the hardest time are usually the types that worry too much even when things are going their way. Once they get into that pattern of behavior it can be hard to get out. To be emotional does not mean you can not do so without objectivity. I would have taken in the stray cats and dogs over the past 5-6 years if I were not an emotional type. And I adopted many out to good homes rather than to send them to a shelter where they would most likely be put down. I consciously, and emotionally think about the consequences. But I do it with an objective mind, weighing the evidence and making decisions based on fact more than emotions.
I do have such emotional moments. Recently I took in an abandoned dog and was in the process of trying to adopt him out {even designed a web page with details and photos and placing it in local Internet pages}. But the dog got out of the fenced area and was run over by a car. He died almost instantly. But I was affected very emotionally, I shed tears over his death, and even as I write these words I tear up. But life goes on and so must we. There are other situations in life that need attending to, I have other pets to care for {I direct your attention to the side bar and the 'Please Help Kitty Fund'}.

I do believe in balance. But it often comes done to looking at life objectively when most decisions are made. There are appropriate emotional decisions, of course. But they should be 'conscious emotional' decisions and not the unconscious type that most often the conscious self is not ware of, or has taken control of the conscious life. I guess we can call those 'objective emotional decisions'. That isn't something that comes easy. It usually requires an 'Individuated' state of mind and that stepping into the world of the mythic realms, the hero journey as the prime balancing force.

*Instead of worrying myself 'to death' needlessly
How does one do that? I travel the hero path and believe in the 'helping hands' that accompany anyone who travels this path. And it works. When my business is dead and I need jobs to get by there is always one that comes along just at the right time. But that too is not just a 'force of nature' showing preference. My reputation, my desire to do my best, realizing what I do for others has consequences in their lives, that is the foundation for the hero, a spiritual life, a quest to discover not only 'self' but the 'Self', which of course brings us back to 'Individuation'. A balanced psyche where the ego has experienced that required 'death and resurrection' to the spiritual identity, living that life fully and wholly {Joe Campbell stated the ego centric self must be annihilated and not merely a death}.

I don't wish to impugn feeling types, my original psyche was that type. I believe there has to be choices made in life that determines the 'center' of who we are as individuals {which if most everyone felt the same would become universal}. What does make humans unique is we do possess these powerful emotions. The task is not the emotions possess us. And in that light I think as a whole society is failing. As Campbell stated in his 'The Power of Myth' interview, just look around and you see the world falling apart. It is the 'hero/heroine' who can objectively the emotional world that brings us the 'fire' hope to change the world to a better place.

Jerry {meditate]

A couple of typos I should correct in my last post.

In discussing my male friend's inabilities I should have used the words "he can not reason". Does make a difference.

Also in my speech of "I would have taken in the stray cats and dogs" it should have read "would not have taken".

Minor errors that could be misconstrued.

Jerry

Kristi,
Let's go back to your original question and approach it from another angle. My first response addressed the 'true self' when it comes to our dreams. The true self in this light reflects what the true emotions are, the true person that is masked under the ego persona often fitting in with what is expected more so than what is really within. That 'self' comes out in our dreams and reflects what is out of balance in the waking life. Those out of balanced aspects are stored incognito within the deep unconscious, wanting to be rescued to the light of day. When a dream is interpreted properly then the true self is reflected to the waking mind, the true self is realized.

But if the question is 'what is the true self' in terms of who we should be and what the psyche {and dreams} attempt to instill within us, the answer would be directed at achieving balance and harmony in life. The true self would actually be the true Self, the spiritual and creative aspects that too many never understand let alone realize. Jung said it is this Self that is the ultimate goal in life, the answer to finding meaning and purpose in life. The self is the 'yet to be resurrected' life that becomes the higher Self.
For Jung, and Joseph Campbell, it was the Kundalini which was the path to the enlightened soul.

“Kundalini is the Sanskrit word for the spiritual power that dwells within us all.” When released, Kundalini acts intelligently to enable spiritual transformation.

So what is it that prevents us from this higher realization of Self, this spiritual transformation? First we must understand the self in realistic terms that the mind can grasp {as I attempted to do with this 'ordinary' mind I possess in my original response}.

"The essence of the self is both too subtle and too intense to be grasped by a reactive mind possessed by passions and habitual thoughts.

It is these passions and habitual thoughts that guide the self and get in the way of the Individuated Self. These are emotions, controlling conscious actions, submitting to the 'subtle body' that is more interested in satisfying the desires and wants of the mind.

What is required to eliminate these often destructive desires and wants of the body? A death and resurrection of the ego-centered self. That is no easy task. I have been on that path for more than 18 years and although I discarded many of my destructive impulses years ago {while on my path} I learn something new about the inner workings with every new year on the calender. The 'self' analyzing' of my whole life, beginning with my earliest memories, dissecting each phase if not each year and discovering those experiences that possessed 'numinous' energies which in later life were forces that controlled my actions. They were for the most part unconscious forces but their ability to mold my life are undeniable when looking back at the early life experiences and comparing them to my actions as an adult. Because of these forces I was stunted in my personal growth, as a growing child as well as a developing adult. These forces kept me from the realization of 'Self' for the first 42 years of my life. These destructive energies were realized only after my encounter with Joseph Campbell and 'The Power of Myth' and my own personal quest of the hero journey.

Now, after all this time of study and analyzing I know my path to wholeness, to Self. It is spiritual, living an ethical life with compassion for all things that nature has born, not giving into the 'needless' desires of the body and mind. Those were the destructive forces that led me for those 42 years of 'wondering in the wilderness'. I can now see the waste land that is behind me, and for the first time in my life I can see where I 'truly' wish to go in my life.

And it is creative. The creative spirit as the 'bliss' of my life, my dream work and the continuing evolution of Myths-Dreams-Symbols. It was by chance that I happen to discover Joseph Campbell. But it is by design that I discovered my creative nature, a natural product of the hero journey which will produce the same results for anyone who dares travel this path. This is the 'True self' and can lead to the 'true Self'.

So in this light the true self is the desire to discover and live a life of the higher Self. It is spiritual, beyond the codes of religion, and it is creative. The creative is spiritual in that by sharing with others those images of the soul there is a healing agent that someone identifies with and helps give meaning to their life. That is what occurred when I met Joseph Campbell. That is what I wish to do with my working with dreams and MDS, sharing what my soul has discovered so others can reap the benefits. It isn't an ego thing, it is a what satisfies my soul and has the power to benefit anyone who is 'caught' by the message.

That is spiritual. It is the true Self. At least that is how I see it.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you very much. I will respond more later. I hope I do not appear selfish having posted my two dreams before commenting here, but I am knee-deep (no, neck-deep) in my emotions these past couple of weeks. When one has been so far out of balance, the swing to get one to where they need to be is sometimes extreme. I trust the vicissitudes will settle in time, and that I will be better for it.

I can relate to the friend you mentioned, for I currently feel much like him.

Kristi

Jerry, again, your note on feelings/emotions and objectivity is vey helpful to me. Your initial mention of this bothered me, and is why I asked you to clarify your meaning, for I recognized that I have been much too rational, much too full of reasoning, at the expense of my emotional body which has required more healing. I also believe that most of the world lives this way ... and that it is precisely why the emotions are unconsciously controlling so many relationship/interpersonal dynamics (and creating dragons) in our world. I think we all need to come to that point of balance you mention, but that for most, like me, it will mean more fully embracing our emotional bodies...and healing the unmet needs of childhood.

I will have to take a look at the "other angle" on the true self, tomorrow.

Kristi

Kristi,
Could it be your 'rationalizing' is itself a product of your emotions? The 'for instance' example I provided has my friend thinking he is rational but he is totally blind to his emotional condition. You can be a rational person capable of reasoning in most of the everyday phases of life but those unresolved or evolving emotions/conflicts are not so rationally realized. There is that period of healing that follows self discovery of unconscious or repressed 'negative' experiences but eventually they must be addressed and put in their proper place. As I mentioned in my last response my emotions are still moved when I think about my past experiences that caused painful memories. After nearly 7 years since the passing of my ex-wife {my son's mother whom I feel left this world without a proper apology from me for the hurt I caused her} I can still get very emotional when thinking about her {and her mother whom I was also very close and passed away a couple of years ago}. But I can't let myself think about these parts of my life everyday and every minute. It would drive me crazy.

My definition of rationalizing is to take the emotional subject, thoroughly analyze it, determine the conflicts {in my ex-wife's case it was the hurt I caused by my selfish actions, even though they were unconsciously motivated}, determine the remedies {I am determined never to hurt anyone as I did her}, put those remedies into action and become a better person from the experiences. We CAN NOT go back and undo what has been done. We can only right any wrongs {if possible} and make it a rule to live by never to cause such harm {to oneself or others} again. Of course I am speaking to the negative experiences.

This is not an easy thing to do. The reason we need 'teachers' is to provide paths to accomplish these goals in our personal growth. For me it was Campbell and Jung {and a slew of others who understood their message}. They could not do it for me but they did provide insights to what it requires to reach that place of balance.

A good example is my oft mentioned modern myth Star Wars. Luke Skywalker had to overcome personal conflicts {death of parents} as well as other internal doubts. But with proper guidance {his Campbell and Jung were Obi Wan and Yoda} he discovered a path that led him out of the 'desert' of despair and provided the strength to overcome his deepest conflicts. And the primary conflict was with his father {as are so many conflicts of the masculine including my own}. This was his shadow {Dart Vader in black garb}. The evil empire was his own psychological conflicts that stood in the way of realizing what kept him from wholeness was this 'shadow' aspect that remained unresolved, a major psychological conflict in his life. And when he slew his father it was not an actual act of killing him but a metaphorical reference of slaying those barriers within himself, a realization of the shadow, resolving the conflict and putting it into its proper place. This is what I had to do with the relationship with my father, the same metaphorical references to the masculine conflicts {and feminine when it involves the mother} so many of us have to confront in life. It is the hero adventure, path, to wholeness that when realized and taken as a way of living leads to wholeness and for most a spiritual awakening. The spiritual aspect is the resolve to be that better person toward all things, all people.

What is lacking for most to take this 'heroic journey' is discipline. A lot of it is unconsciously motivated. But as much is the weakness of the mind to material worth and obsession. Our culture is greatly to blame because it promotes materialism as a way of life, all the while pretending to push the religious ideology of patriarchy that benefits only one aspect of the psyche; the masculine. It is the reason Western religions relegate women to a lesser role. They are afraid of the power of the feminine. Jesus lived from the feminine aspect, God the masculine.

I'll end this session by apologizing for going in so many directions. But it is all relevant. Having taken my own experiences, and being so thankful for having found my 'teachers' in life {I also had persons along the way in my waking experiences who kept me straight enough to get to meet Campbell and Jung} I believe I have transcended the greatest part of the 'hero cycle'. I have found I do possess skills not only in dream interpretation {a product of my journey and inner revelations} but also the experiences in life to help realize what it requires to counsel others. In the end it is a psychological journey. And with such great teachers as Campbell, Jung, Woodman, and so many others who have 'realized the message', I do have a great wealth of material to help me in my desire to help others. Tat is the end product of the journey, a desire to help others, the spiritual aspect that is the soul's desire. Following that path provides the 'way' and the way always becomes the bliss in life. Spiritual and creative, in the end our bliss seems to be within those aspects of the psyche that leads us out of the darkness {unconscious motivations that are out of control}.

I hope this all makes sense.

Jerry

A few more thoughts on this subject after having worked out at the gym this morning {which consists of my usual routine of walking and about 45 minutes of cardio shooting basketball, and the deep thoughts that I have when walking, for me a form of meditation}.

I believe it important to understand that who are in life is first and foremost a psychological thing. Our perceived notion of self and persona is very subjective and often not very objective. Being objective about personality is difficult at best, with all else we have to concern ourselves with in this 'great recession'. This is one reason I feel dreams are important. Dreams are objective first, with subjectivity an aspect of that. To see yourself to who you really are, and the way others see you, is exactly what the dream does. To ferment that attitude of objectivity to the waking mind can be illuminating, not only providing the self with outward views of how others may see you but how you really are personality wise. The dream is as if taking a video camera with you every where you go and filming all that you do. It is an objective view of yourself leaving no doubt as to your true actions. If
the dream is reflective of the true self, as I believe it is, then viewing yourself from that third person can also provide this same realization. Not only viewing yourself but also knowing your thoughts as well.

Joseph Campbell once said when you are in a constant state of worry what you need to do is change your thoughts, what you are thinking about. Often I find myself in a mold of thinking too much about work while driving. So what I do is stop that mode of thinking by looking, and seeing, what is
in front of me, seeing what is really there and not the view of the world of conflict that goes with a closed mind focused on a stressed self. And what I see are the trees, the landscape, other people going about their lives. It is being in the moment, not focused on those things that do not need the wasted energy of thought but seeing what is before you, what IS REAL. Of course there are principles I live by that make this attitude possible, one being do all that you can do and DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE REST. By doing all that I can to insure everything has been done to make things right in life I can let the helping hands of fate do the rest. As does the hero in his/her journey. Patterns of behavior that have been repeated throughout the ages by mankind.

It does take time and effort to develop this type of attitude toward life. But it can lead to a positive outlook on life. Merely by changing the way you think is a set of rules many 'positive thinking' gurus sell to us all the time. But it doesn't require a pocket full of money or a profit taking guru to accomplish this attitude. It can be done by the self, if there is enough true effort to change oneself and a desire for personal growth.

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present