Dream Analysis/Interpretation by Dream Analyst Gerald Gifford
Read: Methodology I Use in Analyzing Dreams,,,,,Based on Jungian Psychology
5000+ Dreams
    /a>
Interpreted
Please Support My
Rescue Kitty Fund

Click the Kitty

FREE INTERPRETATIONS: Please Provide Age/Gender For Proper Analysis.....Follow-up Response to Analysis Requested
By submitting your dream you have read & agree to our Disclaimer/Privacy Policy

The Dream Forum is Closed
Private Interpretations Available-E-Mail: mythsdreams@hotmail.com
Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In the theatre

I dreamt this morning the following:

I'm participating in a play, it takes place in a basement, small room, white walls. The play is about the dead norwegian painter Edward Munch and his family. I'm playing the father of the family and I'm sitting on a chair by a table with the actors who play the other family members. We all have old fashioned clothes from the right time period, and I'm wearing a hat and a mustache, and my carachter is very formal and stale. The family is supposed to include two daughters, probably at the age of nine-ten and five-six.
I'm sitting there waiting for the youngest daughter to make her entrance, but I'm wondering how they are going to pull it off, since the girl who played the youngest daughter last year is now playing the oldest, since her sister who played the oldest then, is now too old to play that part. But in comes the youngest daughter, and I realize that there are three acting sisters, and the youngest of them, who obviously didn't participate last year, is now playing the part of the youngest daughter in the family. (god, I probably could have explained this a lot easier, but it's a bit more difficult in english.. Hope you get it)
I get the feeling that they are Munchs sisters, and I also get the feeling that there has been sexual abuse of one or both the girls in this family. Maybe the father (me) is the one who has done this to them. The sisters are wearing white dresses and have long blond hair, and they are very alike. The youngest sister is wearing very heavy make up, black eyeliner, almost cleopatra style, and her face is very pale.
I'm very concious of how I'm playing my part, because I feel that one of the men in the audience is evaluating my performance. There are only a few spectators, and they are sitting right beside us in the small room.

After the play is over, I'm talking to two of the older female actors,and I'm comforting them both. One of them (who is actually a friend of mine from the past who is a brilliant painter) is very disappointed in herself because she thinks her mother didn't like her performance. (she actually was rejected by her mother at the age of sixteen, because she told her that a man in their religious community had raped her)I tell her that she don't need to think about her mothers opinion, she should think about her son instead. The other woman is a girl from high school who I was never close to. In the dream she is also very upset after the play and she just wants to lay close to me, like a child.

Next there is a glimpse of me beeing in a sinking boat, in the early night with some other people. I cling on to the boat, but when it sinks I find myself in the water, and there is a pale corpse of a young man dressed in black in the water. It all feels like just like a Munch painting.

Then I'm at the theatre, and we're having a party to celebrate our performance. I'm in the hallway, standing infront of a large mirror. Above it there are buttons with letters, like on the keybord of a computer, but there is just one row of them. The buttons can be removed and put into a opening, and by doing that you can order things from the wardrobe, and they appear on/through the mirror.
I take out the "W" button and try to push it in to the opening, because I really want to try the wigs. (the norwegian word for wig does not start with a "W", so I'm thinking in english in the dream) But now the mechanism is not working, the button wont go in like it's supposed to.
I hear the people from the party in the room behind the mirror talking about me, wondering why I'm standig there for so long. I hear a woman saying, "the poor pices" and I know she is reffering to my astrological sign and the need to escape from reality. She comes out to me, sying she has been trying to call me, I look at my cell phone, and I see her email adress there. I'm a bit annoyed and I explain to her that the mirror is not working, and that's why I've been standing there for so long.

Some of this is pretty heavy stuff, and I hope it's not too much to share here. I don't expect you to be focused on all the details in your interpretation, but I include everything I remember.. Just take your time :)

Inanna

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 29 Norway

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Yes

Re: In the theatre

Inanna,
I want to look at this dream early tomorrow morning when my intuitive self is at its best {I am a very early riser}. Perhaps a clear psyche will help determine what part of your life is 'in the play'.

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Inanna,
The scenario from your dream most likely is a re-enactment of your own traumatic experiences as a child, and an adult. Playing the role of the father may suggest you are trying hard to fill what wasn't there when you were a child. The 3 sisters may represent the stages of your own life. Consciously throughout your childhood you have had to 'role play' to invent ways to overcome the shortcomings of your parents.

The older female actor is most likely a resemblance of you {both you and your real life friend had traumatic childhoods}. The disappointment by the mother probably addresses guilt feelings of not living up to expectations of your mother {which were not in your best interest}. This has kept you close to your childhood due to the lack of proper love and attention {she just wants to lay close to me, like a child}.

The sinking boat in early night may be about early life experiences that you still cling to unconsciously, if not consciously. It has left dead those masculine aspects needed for balance.

You are trying to put all the pieces of your life together, make them fit so to cover up the past. But they don't fit as neatly as they should. The reflection of the past and the need to overcome that is not working properly.

There is a lot of creative symbols in the dream which I have refrained from addressing until the last. I believe this is due to your thought processes about your own creative self. Artists are known to illustrate their escape from reality through their artistic work.
the room behind the mirror talking about me, wondering why I'm standing there for so long.
I get the impression this is directed at your creative self, the dream pushing you to 'stop standing in the past' and to move on to that higher cause. In fact I believe the whole dream is addressing that need to focus on your creative self. After reading your last response to your Two dreams: The mother and the father , that would fit with your future plains as you return to school. Reflecting on the past is not working so you must look to the future.

I see real progress, not only in this dream but also in your actions in waking life. Accessing that creative Self, taking real steps to make that your life, there is no better therapy.

The positive aspects of Pippi is coming through. She learned to overcome the negatives and so are you.

gerard

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 58 Murfreesboro, Tn

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Male

Yes it all makes sense.
A funny thing though; I read about Munchs childhood after having this dream, and he actually had three sisters, one older and two younger. The older sister died when they were teenagers, and the youngest sister was diagnosed as mentally ill at an early stage. I then remembered that the youngest sister in the dream, the one with the heavy make up, was supposed to be "crazy" in the play.
It may be that I have heared or read something about this in my past, but it was not at all something I counciously remembered. Funny how some detailes just fit exactly and some don't. In the dream I was also told that this childs name was Jessica, but that doesn't fit at all.
It's a well known fact that Munch himself was depressed and mentally ill in periods of his life, and this may be why I identyfied with his story so much in the dream. It has been one of my greatest fears; that I'm really just crazy.. I have, whithout a doubt, had visions and pre cognitive dreams, and I've also had an out of body experience which I can not reject as imagination because of the circumstances.
But still, the physical world is so real, and somtimes it feels like a trap, because I KNOW that it is possible to enter the spiritual world, but at this point I feel like I'm not allowed in.. It makes me angry, because I think; what was the point in showing me those fantastic things at one piont in my life, when it seems now like I'm bound to go on living this dull and exhausting reality...
Well that's my negative side speaking, but it really sometimes feel like I've been shown a castle in the sky, just to be cast out of it.
Any thougts on that?
Maybe I can make a re entry using my creative self?

Thanks again,
Inanna

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} Female

Inanna

I was waiting to see how Gerard would respond to this before I thought I would put across my views, but he is busy at the moment. I feel I want to share my perspective on what you have just shared with us.

I apologise in advance if what I say is off board, as it is quite a different perspective from yours, and I am not aware of your history as Gerard is.

You say that you have been shown a castle in the sky, just to be cast out of it, which makes you angry because you know there is a spiritual world that can be accessed but you feel you are not allowed in.

From my outside perspective, I do not see this as a symbol of barring your from the spiritual. You KNOW there is a spiritual realm, which is a rare and fantastic gift. There is no need for blind faith in this case, you have experienced the spiritual first hand. To me, that is not being denied spirit, but rather given hope, that there is more than this 'dull and exhausting reality.'

But there will be a time for that, and it is not here and now. If now were the time you would be there. It is a good thing to desire the spiritual, but in my mind not to the point that you neglect the physical world. Your view of the world being dull and exhausting says to me you are not enjoying your life as you should. You are not seeing the positives of the physical world, the beauty of nature, new and exciting experiences.

It sounds to me that perhaps you need to change your life, a sea change if you will, just what this change is I don't know, perhaps try looking at what you like about your life and what you don't like, and go from there.

Hope that helps,
Rook

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 26 - Perth, Western Australia

Rook,
thank you for your thoughts. I agree with you, and I also have a more positive view on things when I'm more in harmony with the physical world. The things I wrote in my previous post were describing how I feel when I'm out of touch with the spiritual and unable to see how the two worlds can co-exist in my life. But you are right, the key for me is to learn how to enjoy reality and focus on the beauty that surrounds me. When I manage to do that, I feel the presence of the spiritual world in my daily life. I just sometimes get into a very dark an frightening mental state where that connecton seems to be lost, and once you've experienced it its hard to live without it. But I guess it's how it's supposed to be. I have to find ways to live in reality and find satisfaction in it. So I'll do whatever it takes to make the changes that are needed, even though they are sometimes hard to see when I'm negativly charged, so to say..

Inanna

stats from 7-14-10 to the present