Power of Dreams/MDS Dream Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Terrified blindfolded child

I dreamt that my nephew and his mother (my sister) were blindfolded and hands tied behind their back. They were surrounded by a swarm of cockroaches on the floor. My nephew was terrified and screaming. In my dream it seemed like his dad was trying to test his braveness. In the dream I saw this happening and I was livid and so mad. So mad that I started crying. The deep painful cry where no sound comes out. I couldnt believe they would do this to my nephew.

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 28 Female South Korea

Have You Posted Before? Date of Last Post {Use Search and Your Post Name to Help Find Last Post} No

How Did You Find the Dream Forum? Online

Re: Terrified blindfolded child

Angie,
I working on both dreams but would like some additional info if possible. Are you currently going through any changes in your life? the question of 'taking things serious' may be part of the dream message. Are there any experiences that would fit with that? Also, what in your experiences with your sister and nephew would you relate to that fit within your own life? Are there any actual waking life experiences where the nephew and his dad may be an issue with you? Dreams are messages from the unconscious attempting to inform the dreamer of emotional conflicts. The language of dreams is primarily metaphorical/symbolic but there are also literal applications. If there are not 'emotional 'issues related to your nephew he would be a metaphor of a 'related' masculine aspect with you. If you can provide a brief description of where you are in life {without exposing confidential info} that will help in analysing your dreams.

Jerry

Age & Gender & Location {Required}: 69 Altoona, Fl

Hi Jerry

I wouldn't say that I am going through any major or significant changes in my life right now.

In real life I have always felt uneasy/ had distrust in my sisters husband (my nephews father), but strangely I have never questioned his parenting ability. Which is why I am confused as to why I would be so upset at his parenting in my dream? To the point of extreme anger and upset.

I feel protective over my nephew (he is 5) even though the last time I saw him was when he was barely a year old. I have been living abroad for almost 5 years and in this time I havn't seen my sister, her husband and my nephew in person - only through pictures and videos. My sister recently had another child and so I feel like my nephew is being neglected even though I'm not entirely sure this is the case since I'm not there to see it with my own eyes. I'm more so basing this off on stories my mother tells me and it leads me to assume they give my nephew less attention and they complain about his behavior and that he wont listen to them.

Angie,
That helps a lot. Your nephew in the one dream was what I needed a better understanding of. Although you are not his mother your strong feelings for him places you in a 'mothering' position. An important aspect about dreams to understand is your dreams are about your emotions and everyone else is in association to those emotions. Dreams are nature's device to help resolve emotional conflicts. Thus, in the terrified blindfolded child dream you would represent, metaphorical, of being his mother because of the strong emotions, your desire to see his parents treat him properly. His father is depicted in a negative way as well, treating the child in a negative way by testing his braveness. You may see your nephew as being brave since he {in your eyes and emotions} has to be second child after the new child.

Having said that, and as I stated in my first response the dream would also be addressing your own personal life. What was your childhood like? Especially in light of the testing braveness, what was your relationship with your father? Are there any similarities in your nephew's and sister's situation that would mirror your childhood? My philosophy on dreams is they always address the foundations of the dreamer's life as a child {when love, acceptance, nurturing and protection are most vital to a person's psyche}. All dreams have at least two applications/meanings. Your dream would be addressing your strong emotions toward your nephew as well as your own childhood. Your nephew would represent some aspect of yourself that you need to acknowledge or recognize within yourself. There is a good chance his situation is in some way similar or has associations to your own life. He would be an animus or masculine aspect within you. Since he is a child a good chance he represents some developing aspect {child development} in your masculine qualities. May be hard to determine exactly what that is considering it is such a short dream. The second dream may provide clues.

I'll examine both dreams and provide an in depth analysis of the images and actions. Hope to have that tomorrow.

Jerry

Angie,
Here is my interpretation of the images and actions from this dream. Te additional info you provided allowed me to see where your nephew figured into the dream equation. Your fears and anxieties are the focus of the dream {as is the case with all dreams}.

But there is another aspect that only you can address. Was there issues or in in your childhood that would fit with my interpretation? Read what I have provided and see where they may fit with your own childhood.

-terrified-unresolved fears
-blindfolded-unaware of or blind to some aspect in your life
-child-a childhood experience{s}

I dreamt that my nephew and his mother (my sister) were blindfolded and hands tied behind their back. They were surrounded by a swarm of cockroaches on the floor. My nephew was terrified and screaming. In my dream it seemed like his dad was trying to test his braveness. In the dream I saw this happening and I was livid and so mad. So mad that I started crying. The deep painful cry where no sound comes out. I couldn't believe they would do this to my nephew.

-dreamt that a nephew and his mother {my sister} were blindfolded-aspects within yourself related to relationships you are unaware of or you are ignoring/aspects related to actual experiences where nephew/sister YOU were not aware of or are ignoring
-hands tied behind their back-inner communication related to restriction of emotional energies within unconscious/inability to do anything about situation

-surrounded by swarm of cockroaches on floor-bound by undesirable aspects of yourself related to nephew as well as issues with your foundations {childhood}

-nephew was terrified and screaming-inclination to abide by unresolved fears that need to be confronted and resolved/developing emotional energies that cause fear and anxiety {with nephew}

-seemed like his dad was trying to test his braveness-powerful masculine energies that need confronting

-saw this happening-perception of what has happened {in your childhood/could happen with nephew

-I was livid and so mad-suppressed anger/anxieties

-so mad I started crying-a needed release of suppressed anger/anxieties

-deep painful cry where no sound comes out-inability to express suppressed anger/anxieties

-couldn't believe they would do this to my nephew-repressing emotions associated with aspects within yourself/literal experiences involving nephew

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I want to thank you so much for all your insight. I think this is all starting to make sense to me.

I definetly grew up with a very strict and disciplinarian father. There would be moments of joy and then moments of extreme darkness. My father was the type to get physical when angry. He would get angry a lot. In fact most of my memories of him growing up are of him being angry and violent.

As a child I was always on edge about what to say or when to say it. If I just had the wrong tone or was rude and misbehaved...he would always take it to the extreme and be violent.

I dont ever recall a moment where my dad would sit down and talk to us about what we did wrong. So I never felt like I had a voice to say that I didnt deserve the punishment. I also wasnt allowed to cry about it for too long else that would warrant another punishment. We always had to do as he said. There was no arguing about it. It was a hopeless feeling and it would leave me hating my dad. To the point where some days I wished he would just die.

I also knew my mom was frightenerd by him when angry so she never stepped in to stop him from doing what he was doing to us. He knew no end. My mom felt hopeless too. I could just see it.

I have seen him do some terrible things to my mom too. Things I would see but I couldnt speak out else I would be next. So I guess I have all these suppressed thoughts of things I wish I was able to say. And so I have bottled up and kept this anger inside me for all these years. Till this day I have never spoken to my dad about how he made me feel growing up.

My dad is much older now and more relaxed than ever before. So I find myself shifting and being more compassionate toward him internally. However, every so often those feelings and thoughts come to haunt me.

I was also told on a casual phone conversation with my mom that my nephew was misbehaving(aka just being a little kid)and that my father (not his own father) decided to spank him on the butt. I immdiately questioned my mom how hard he spanked him and if that was even my fathers place to do that. It got me feeling worried and anxious inside for my nephew.

Angie
Hi Jerry

I want to thank you so much for all your insight. I think this is all starting to make sense to me.

I definetly grew up with a very strict and disciplinarian father. There would be moments of joy and then moments of extreme darkness. My father was the type to get physical when angry. He would get angry a lot. In fact most of my memories of him growing up are of him being angry and violent.

As a child I was always on edge about what to say or when to say it. If I just had the wrong tone or was rude and misbehaved...he would always take it to the extreme and be violent.

I dont ever recall a moment where my dad would sit down and talk to us about what we did wrong. So I never felt like I had a voice to say that I didnt deserve the punishment. I also wasnt allowed to cry about it for too long else that would warrant another punishment. We always had to do as he said. There was no arguing about it. It was a hopeless feeling and it would leave me hating my dad. To the point where some days I wished he would just die.

I also knew my mom was frightenerd by him when angry so she never stepped in to stop him from doing what he was doing to us. He knew no end. My mom felt hopeless too. I could just see it.

I have seen him do some terrible things to my mom too. Things I would see but I couldnt speak out else I would be next. So I guess I have all these suppressed thoughts of things I wish I was able to say. And so I have bottled up and kept this anger inside me for all these years. Till this day I have never spoken to my dad about how he made me feel growing up.

My dad is much older now and more relaxed than ever before. So I find myself shifting and being more compassionate toward him internally. However, every so often those feelings and thoughts come to haunt me.

I was also told on a casual phone conversation with my mom that my nephew was misbehaving(aka just being a little kid)and that my father (not his own father) decided to spank him on the butt. I immdiately questioned my mom how hard he spanked him and if that was even my fathers place to do that. It got me feeling worried and anxious inside for my nephew.
Angie,
I truly appreciate your being open about your childhood and sharing your experiences. I have been working with dreams for 27+ years and although not a psychologist or with any formal training I have come to specific conclusions about the function of dreams. It is pretty much Jungian in most aspects but I often stretch what he taught into more specific if not arguable theories. One is that all dreams address both present day experiences as well as the foundations for the dreamer's psyche {psychology} life. Jung taught all dreams have at least two applications but was never as specific {as far as I can determine} to all dreams addressing childhood foundations. It is not unusual to surmise both have to do with one another since the foundations of a person are imprinted on the psyche and later life experiences are most often influenced by early childhood. There are many scientific studies that support that conclusion {childhood upbringing being a factor in later life} but few stating that dreams share those same conclusions. Your experiences in life support my philosophy and I have seen time and again the same with other dreams I have analyzed. It is from those dreams/interpretations I base my convictions. In my assessment emotional energies in dreams don't lie and what I see are the outline of those energies. Put that together with the philosophy dreams address both present day emotional issues along with foundational energies and a trained dream analyst can provide an outline of what is going on in the psyche of the dreamer. It is much like a puzzle and Sherlock Holmes mystery. With trained observation and facts based on experience the puzzle/mystery can be solved. An outline when working with little details about the dreamer {age and gender as I usually work with} and a detailed description of what the cause for the energies when a full knowledge of the dreamer is known. A year's worth of psychological treatment scaled down to one dream in many cases.

I will comment more later today and address what you have provided in your last response along with how it fits with your nephew. Again I appreciate your providing a detailed response. It makes my efforts worth while and hopefully provides info for you so to be able to recognize what is in the unconscious and how what is there can unknowingly influence your adult life. There is a reason for all things and knowing what they are opens the door to understanding and healing. Again I thank you.

Jerry

Angie,
First I will address your most recent comments as it relates to the Weird giant cartoon creatures since it goes to your childhood. Then I will address the second dream involving your nephew and try to tie it all together. I will break down my interpretation of the Weird giant cartoon dream to illustrate how I interpret symbols, images and actions. Both have to do with each other since it is your childhood foundations/experiences from which your personality and personal attitudes were developed. It comes from common sense {and confirmed by recent studies} that what a child experiences in earliest years of life will have an important influence on the psyche and lend themselves to personal development later in life. If it is true then it is because nature provides a path for it to be. {to get a quick look at Jungian theory read this page Jung and Dreams}.

As I stated previously my philosophy on dreams is all dreams have at least two meanings/applications {as is Jung's position} with one addressing {in some degree} childhood foundations and development. This is opposite of Jung's position where he believed therapy is less concerned with repressed childhood experiences. I came to this position from my own experience in analyzing dreams and although I am not an scholar when it comes to psychology I have seen this to be true time and again from the responses I have received at the Dream Forum in my interpretations {especially when I specifically include it in my analysis/interpretation}. Yor response to my interpretation of the two dreams also supports this position. Two meanings/applications, one dealing with your own childhood and the other a more literal application {but with the symbolic/metaphorical language used in dreams} in the dream about your nephew.

Weird giant cartoon creatures compared to your actual life experiences
The childhood psyche is resilient, buoyant. A developing brain with an initial positive attitude that can under some of the most difficult circumstances see light when there is darkness all around. In this light think about your childhood with a positive take, life was mostly positive on {as a child}. This dream's opening statement reads, 'I was driving in a car on a long stretch road. Road seemed quiet and calm with no other cars'. In dreams a the car is a universal symbol for the dreamer and their path/direction in life. The road is the path and its progression. The long stretch would point to the amplitude, extent of emotional energies {remember, this is your dream as an adult} over the long stretch of your life. Your driving the car represents your moving and navigating through life, seemingly in control. But what seems to be is not what the unconscious sees. The dream statement was, 'Road seemed quiet'. There were no other cars, you do not recognize, do not see the other aspects that could/would affect your personality and growth. This points to the ego perception not seeing all that is in the unconscious, not remembering {repressing, and/or not letting certain emotions affect you consciously}. Standard applications for most everyone, we all have issues we do not know about or what to know about. Your life as a child had moments of joy but also moments of extreme darkness. Ego perception {normal} puts a positive light on life. The calmness in the dream statement is ego perception {and probably with other applications as well}. But because dreams attempt to communicate your emotional energies and are pure truth, what the ego perceives is only a part of the equation. The dreams uses a specific word {seems} with the intent to awaken the conscious self to what is actually true.

Note: The opening sentence of dreams usually lays out what the dream is attempting to communicate. This is a very short dream and because it is there is not much description of the darkness in the opening sentence {in long dreams the opening as well as other parts within the dream is in paragraphs and not one or two sentences....see Dream Structure}.

The dream continues with, 'To the right of the road was a far stretched land of sand and the ocean'. The right direction is symbolic of the physical self and rational thoughts, conscious vs unconscious. But there is a 'far stretch' of land in this logical thinking which is pointing to the grounding for which your childhood had its foundations. Because there were those dark moments involving your father as an adult you are still looking for a strong foundation and stability related to masculine aspects {father as well your own inner masculine aspects}. Unconsciously we all in some way are driven by these formations from childhood. What seems to be a quiet positive life has unconscious divergence to the darkness. The dream is attempting to draw your attention to personal attitudes as adult that have their grounding in childhood. Your conscious attitude about your nephew in your Terrified blindfolded child dream draws its energies from your childhood, a mothering aspect that is compensating aspects of your relationship with your own mother {who was passive about your father's actions}. I dare say you have feelings/concerns about not voicing your concerns about how your sister and brother-in-law treat your nephew.

Land of sand and ocean. Your groundings/foundations have roots in childhood and unconsciously {Ocean - The deepest unconscious where one finds repressed, forgotten emotions. Also is a symbol for mother, your own mother} causes shifting emotions {sand} and attitudes. This is the beginning of development of attitude {again part of dream structure} as an adult reflecting not only concerns about your nephew but also development of attitude from childhood experiences as they influence you in the relationship with your sister/brother-in-law. Experience from childhood is meeting real and literal experiences as an adult {in nephew relationship as well as with your father who as noted in your response has become more relaxed}, opposite emotions that require clarity. That is what the dream is attempting to do.

Out of the Blue
The blue color is a positive symbol. Children have a natural positive outlook on life {which can be taken away with extreme psychological trauma}, a blue coloring. From the positive conscious life there comes two {opposites/conflict} giant cartoon pokemon creatures. A cartoon character may be an easier, less tense, and a non-confrontational way for you to deal with others, and unconscious energies. They appear harmless but will influence life byond conscious recognition. Pokemon is short for pocket monsters, creatures {a situation you are refusing to see or confront, but are aware of it in some passive way} hidden in the unconscious {pocket} that are now running out of the sand {an issue that you are trying to avoid}. The emotions you have for your nephew's situation has roots in your own childhood, attitudes developed from early life that give tendencies to feel for his plight.
In short, what should have been and what you perceived as a child as positive have unconscious undertones. What he is experiencing, or what you perceive it to be, reflects in many ways your own experiences as a child.

They playfully tackled each other
They are the contrasts of emotions as well as experiences. This is something you are consciously attempting to tackle {confront and resolve}, albeit as it may be unconsciously. There are two aspects that involve similar experiences. Your own childhood and your nephew's. Your feelings and emotions stem to a great extent from your own childhood experiences. There is a perception if not reality your nephew is being neglected by his parents. His experience is your experience. Both are real and because your experience existed as a child, your perception of your nephew's situation must be real as well.

Seeing with your own eyes
A question arises with this. Is your perception about your nephew true? You haven't actually seen him a long time. But perception is an intuitive trait. When you go with the original feeling it is always true. Only when you let emotions color reality is intuition blinded. You saw, or are now seeing {if for no other reason than you are investigating your dreams} truth, about your own childhood and the energies that still exist from those experiences, and about your nephew. Seeing with your own eyes is comprehending truth. And also how you see things, perceptions.

Now we come to the climax, where you are at the moment. In the distance you see yourself as a child, excited with the color of blue. But there are barriers that need to be removed {walls}. Shifting emotions about your childhood {unconscious} that need to be looked at, confronted and resolved. You are now consciously seeing what your unconscious sees. Experiencing in your nephew's situation your own experiences as a child. It is always an unreal moment to find out about unconscious energies. Surprise and awe. Living your life in the moment {with emotional energies associated with nephew's situation} and the awe, amazement at what you believed to be true as to what is true due to emotional energies.

The lysis or result of dream's action {dream structure}. What has the dream produced as a solution or result? In this 'brief' instance you are open to recognizing the emotional energies that are 'driving' you. And brief in most people never follow up on finding a resolution to te energies. I see this as a fact within life and dreams, too few people take dreams serious. This is a part of the equation of the psyche and dream content.

Result. You are going through life trying to look back {originally unconscious and now as investigating your dreams, consciously} and what you see is truth. Your truth. Driving emotional energies that influence if not control who you are.

With the concept that all dreams have more than one application and meaning, these dreams likely have other applications as well. Possessing more personal info would allow not only addressing those probabilities but additional insights to these two dreams. And if I look at these dreams again I would likely find other possible applications. I do believe we have discovered the message of the two dreams. The ball is in your court and what you do with the knowledge could be important. All depends on your mental state and how early life has 'driven' you on your road to discovery. With some people a childhood with tremendous darkness can be destructive. With others it will alter the life path but not be so destructive. Either way possessing the knowledge is enlightening.

I'll add more about the Terrified blindfolded child later. It takes some time to even break down a short dream {for me it does}. A response and questions are welcome.

Jerry

Angie,
Here is my analysis in terms of how I interpreted the images, actions and symbols from your Terrified Blindfolded Child dream.

I dreamt that my nephew and his mother (my sister) were blindfolded and hands tied behind their back. They were surrounded by a swarm of cockroaches on the floor. My nephew was terrified and screaming. In my dream it seemed like his dad was trying to test his braveness. In the dream I saw this happening and I was livid and so mad. So mad that I started crying. The deep painful cry where no sound comes out. I couldn't believe they would do this to my nephew.

-Terrified blindfolded child
More often than not the dream title tells a lot about the dream message. In both situations related to childhood {yours and your nephew's} there is a 'terror quality' involved. Your childhood involved the darkness of your relationship with your father and as an adult a 'terror' element for how you perceive the treatment your nephew may be receiving {ther terror is a perception quality on your part, this being your dream}. Being blindfolded suggests not being able to see. Not being able to see the unconscious energies involving you} and not being able to 'see' the actual situation to do with your nephew.

-I dreamt that my nephew and his mother were blindfolded and hands tied behind their back.
This opening sentence puts the focus on both the issues involving your nephew and your sister {his mother} as well as you as a child in the same situation as your mother. It is addressing both the literal experiences with nephew/sister and your situation as it has to do with your relationship with your father and the position your mother was in {neither you or she could not/would not do anything about it}. Your childhood with a strict/disciplinarian father where there were moments of joy and extreme darkness. Your impression that your nephew is not receiving the proper attention and nurturing from his father and mother would be the literal application. Symbolically your nephew would represent a masculine aspect you identify with in your nephew. I also can see the dream addressing an underdeveloped/undeveloped masculine aspects within you because of the lack of a proper relationship with your father. Such experiences often show up in later in life in relationships with men. Hands tied behind their back symbolically would represent an inability {hands tied} to realize/understand the unconscious energies {back} that are an influence in your adult life

-They were surrounded by a swarm of cockroaches on the floor
Being surrounded would represent being engulfed by emotional energies, the undesirable aspects {cockroaches} of your childhood as well as your perception of your nephew's situation. Cockroaches would also represent psychological/emotional disturbances that need healing. That would fit with both situations, your childhood as well as your nephew's situation. The floor represents your support system, the foundations in which you grew up with {childhood}. Your childhood foundations where your relationship with your father {joy and extreme darkness} and what you perceive your nephew to be in {not exactly the same but similar}.

-My nephew was terrified and screaming
Literally this is your fear involving perceptions of the situation your nephew is in. Actual terror may not be involve but your fears {remember your dreams are about your emotional energies} involving your nephew. Symbolically the nephew representing aspects you see in him did involve some type of terror {deep darkness from a strict disciplinarian father}. Screaming symbolizes anger and fear, an expression of powerful emotions which you have kept pent up inside.

-In my dream it seemed like his dad was trying to test his braveness
'In my dream' denotes unconscious contents. 'It seemed' would be the imprintations in your unconscious of the 'darkness' in childhood. Literally it represents what you perceive of the situation your nephew is in. A test is a scrutinizing unconscious emotional energies. There may something in your nephew's situation as well involving a testing of his situation. Braveness represents courage, something that is needed in both situations.

-In the dream I saw this happening and I was livid and so mad
'In the dream' again is addressing unconscious contents {that need to be brought to consciousness}. In you unconscious you see/perceive things as they really are {dreams are pure truth} as well as what you 'honestly' perceive them to be. Your perceptions may involve intuitive impressions which are also true {when acted upon without analyzing them}. Being livid and 'so mad' would represent being 'beside oneself', the outer literal world and the inner unconscious world. So mad is extreme emotional negative energies which may demonstrate the severity of how your relationship with your father as it has to do with your adult life. Literally it would be a true feeling about your nephew's situation.

-So mad I started crying
The negative energies are so strong it requires a conscious release {crying}. To do with your childhood and your nephew. Cry'ing' may also be a statement of what you are actually do {or will do/did in posting your dream.
Note: I make the statement about 'posting your dream' not because you did make the post but at the time of the dream its severe strong emotional impressions would call for a need to understand the dream. Your release of the negative emotional energies is what you were actually doing when you posted the dream at the Dream Forum.

-The deep painful cry where no sound comes out
This is the deep anger/frustrations that you may not be consciously acknowledging about your childhood {a norm for most everyone when it comes to unconscious emotional energies}. It may also point to your fear of not voicing your concerns to your sister/brother-in-law about your nephew. As such both are something that need to be communicated, to yourself and to your sister/B-I-L}. The dream is directing you to your childhood energies and most likely to your nephew's situation.

-I couldn't believe they would do this to my nephew
Not consciously realizing and understanding masculine energies/actions, both inner animus aspects {your masculine aspects} as well as your nephew's. Both situations also involve parents and in particular when it comes to 'blame' fathers {and undeveloped masculine qualities because of a lack of proper father nurturing, you and your nephew}.

As for dream structure. A short dream it is very difficult if at all possible to define dream structure. Having said that there are aspects of the structure that can be identified. The exposition or opening statement does define the situations the dream is trying to communicate.

I hope the above helps in understanding the dream and my analysis. If you have any questions/comments please post them.

Jerry

Angie's Second Dream 'Weird giant cartoon creatures'

The second dream by Angie is Weird giant cartoon creatures

Jerry

stats from 7-14-10 to the present